Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
5 minutes ago, West Sussex Kate said:

I was just in Barns Green , near Horsham Sussex, I couldnt hear any thunder but suddenly the wind was swirling around, everyone in the village shop was saying its a tornado help lol!! The sky was so black, there was no rain but very, very strong wind and all the leaves were falling off the trees and twigs and acorns raining down on our car, not sure what that was but it lasted a few mins and its gone now!

Any flying cows? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well that was a fairly good afternoon of showers and mostly distant to a few close rumbles of thunder/lightning.

Nothing major, the stuff you usually get on an unsettled showery summer day, but there was a cloud to ground strike to our north over the hills of the deverills that flipped the switch of our surge protecter and turned our electricity off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Lol i'm the only place that hasn't had a storm today...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
5 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Lol i'm the only place that hasn't had a storm today...

Not quite, me neither, although I expected not to with the wind direction as it is. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Promised more than it delivered today, though the rain that fell just over an hour ago was absolutely insane. Haven't seen anything like that for a long time. Only noticed one flash and rumble, but looking at the detector, quite a lot of strikes were picked up elsewhere. 

Glad others have had a good day as well :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Been rumbling on and off for a few hours now with some beautiful convective showers passing through. Lovely day for cloud spotting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It looks like a wet evening to come with all that rain pushing into Wales. It seems to be breaking out showers ahead of it too. Unfortunately, although convective, I don't think it will produce much if any thunder. I would be happy to be wrong.

Early next week throwing up some interest, but as this is post-Gert I don't think there is much point doing any more than giving it an occasional glance at the minute.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Been radar watching all day. Dorset squall line storms went berserk. Closer to home storms that came within the m25 just died or travelled just to the north. Later on, about 1pm cells started coming through which dropped some rain but no sparks. All the while the Dorset squall line was heading closer, but I had doubts if it would still be active by the time it arrived (if it even got here without petering out).

Driving home eastbound along the a2 just after 3pm the skies were dark and down it came. Absolutely torrential rain, traffic slowed right down. I think we had a couple of flashes and rumbles near Eltham, but it's hard to tell as everyone had their lights on and streetlights were coming on as it had got so dark so it could have been just a bright light coming on a reflecting. Coupled with tyre roar, trucks, lorries, engine noise etc I really can't be sure if I heard or saw anything. However, when I got near home I saw the flooded roads and upon arrival was told we just had a storm 10 minutes before I arrived. TEN MINUTES.  :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:I can't believe it. To say I'm annoyed is an understatement. Worse, it's the second storm I've missed this month - both came right over my house just to rub it in (the other one occured exactly two weeks ago to the day). Really hope things improve as getting fed up of missing what were described as pretty decent storms right over my house. :cray:

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
20 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Been radar watching all day. Dorset squall line storms went berserk. Closer to home storms that came within the m25 just died or travelled just to the north. Later on, about 1pm cells started coming through which dropped some rain but no sparks. All the while the Dorset squall line was heading closer, but I had doubts if it would still be active by the time it arrived (if it even got here without petering out).

Driving home eastbound along the a2 just after 3pm the skies were dark and down it came. Absolutely torrential rain, traffic slowed right down. I think we had a couple of flashes and rumbles near Eltham, but it's hard to tell as everyone had their lights on and streetlights were coming on as it had got so dark so it could have been just a bright light coming on a reflecting. Coupled with tyre roar, trucks, lorries, engine noise etc I really can't be sure if I heard or saw anything. However, when I got near home I saw the flooded roads and upon arrival was told we just had a storm 10 minutes before I arrived. TEN MINUTES.  :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:I can't believe it. To say I'm annoyed is an understatement. Worse, it's the second storm I've missed this month - both came right over my house just to rub it in (the other one occured exactly two weeks ago to the day). Really hope things improve as getting fed up of missing what were described as pretty decent storms right over my house. :cray:

Oh dear that sounds frustrating!

Posted

listening to BBC radio devon 801 MW in work today (fav radio station and we can receive it loud and clear in south wales) and all could hear was the spit every second or so due to the lightning, bit annoying though as was trying to listen to the phone in. but it looked black towards the north devon coast as was in porthcawl around lunch time having lunch on sea front. No lightning spotted tho 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
32 minutes ago, wimblettben said:

Oh dear that sounds frustrating!

Incredibly so my friend. I feel a little better after seeing a lovely, fully developed cb complete with anvil just a few minites ago. It passed to my west in the usual direction (from southwest to northeast) and is about 15 - 20 miles away. First anvil I've seen this year. 

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Nice anvil to my south

IMG_0038.JPG

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Sky's to my East.

20170818_193337.thumb.jpg.e68ee87162e5e927862f34b0c4e6ba89.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

What a lovely day it's been... Some absolutely beautiful convective cloudscapes here this evening. :D

The decaying fibreous anvil gave us one hell of a power shower when it passed over, and although the second photo isn't the best in the world, but you can see mammatus clouds. :good:

IMG_4241.JPG

IMG_4240.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

What a lovely day it's been... Some absolutely beautiful convective cloudscapes here this evening. :D

The decaying fibreous anvil gave us one hell of a power shower when it passed over, and although the second photo isn't the best in the world, but you can see mammatus clouds. :good:

IMG_4241.JPG

IMG_4240.JPG

Nice errr .....anvils :closedeyes:

• Like 1