Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted

Manchester METAR had the cloud-base last night at 800ft, could be just amplification of the thunder carrying it further? Although the lightning was a little strange here in that it wasn't visible in the usual type where you can see the trail, it was more the quick-bright flash type of lightning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
Just now, SNOW_JOKE said:

Manchester METAR had the cloud-base last night at 800ft, could be just amplification of the thunder carrying it further? Although the lightning was a little strange here in that it wasn't visible in the usual type where you can see the trail, it was more the quick-bright flash type of lightning.

Yeah, I saw no bolts, just flashes.  Is 800ft high or low for a cloud base?  At the time, to me, it felt as if the storm was elevated

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Went to bed at 11pm last night and slept through it:nonono:,could be that i had one too many lol

it is quiet warm out there today too

anyways,the WRF 2km is pretty spot on at the moment from it's 06z hrs at 15:00 hrs with the ppn just to my NW.

nmm_uk1-1-7-0.png?17-12

7 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Noticed the low cloud base last night almost felt indoors out ,sporadic lightning and loud booming thunder around 1.30 -2.30 this morning .

Posted

I'm 690ft in elevation but I couldn't quite tell what the actual cloud-base was due to the rain, just to throw into the mix was the added moisture from the goyt forest that was being 'pulled' upwards and was pooling into the valley. But the cloud-base was definitely hugging the tops of the hills here as there's a few farms near to the summits and their floodlights had gone from view.

The lightning seemed to come in pulses as initially I saw it coming from the west towards Macclesfield direction and it quietened down for around 10 minutes, then the lightning began flickering locally every few minutes for around 35mins. Not the type of storm where you're expecting a bolt to come every couple of seconds, but where you're anticipating the next place it's going to come from after 2 or 3 minutes of waiting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

there's a nice stream of developing heavy showers heading straight for me (20 miles to the SW) which have matured in the past 30 mins or so.....It'll be interesting to see if they become electrified shortly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
7 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

there's a nice stream of developing heavy showers heading straight for me (20 miles to the SW) which have matured in the past 30 mins or so.....It'll be interesting to see if they become electrified shortly!

Indeed, very dark just to my south, but can't see much structure to the cloud due to a lot of lower cloud being blown by in front of it. Could be some intense downpours locally soon.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nothing on extra radar and my detector hasn't picked anything up either.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Very heavy shower here just now.

Cleared here now leaving a nice rainbow.

20170817_190708.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

sure we had a positive strike not far from here last night,  maybe two or three miles , but the deep low frequency explosive sound reverberated into the distance for ages

I missed rather spectacular funnel cloud last week over Wigan that touched down in fields in Billinge area   

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/incredible-footage-captures-swirling-twister-13466112

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

The first bang you hear in this clip is fairly typical of what I was hearing last night..

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Clip from Wrexham...best strike at 1:18

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 18 Aug 2017 - 05:59 UTC Sat 19 Aug 2017

ISSUED 22:35 UTC Thu 17 Aug 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Broad longwave trough will swing eastwards across the British Isles on Friday, accompanied by notably steep lapse rates. Scattered showers and thunderstorms will form fairly widely given widespread deep instability, with areas of longer spells of rain associated with organised frontal features also.

Hard to be more specific at areas with the best potential, though a favourable overlap of instability and shear will exist across S Wales - S Midlands / Cen S Eng - East Anglia / SE England which would suggest this region at a higher risk of lightning activity than environs. Perhaps another focus over Yorks/Lincs where steepest lapse rates will exist by the afternoon. Quite dry forecast profiles suggest showers will be fairly well-scattered, though steering flow resulting with ultimately a fairly widespread coverage. Hail locally up to 2.0cm in diameter will be possible with the strongest cells, along with strong, gusty winds.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Storm & Convective Forecast

convmap_180817.thumb.png.4895b133ff5ebfa1f3eb6c22f7c4a721.png

Issued 2017-08-18 07:38:15
Valid: 18/08/2017 6am to 19/08/2017 6am

Day 1 Convective / Storm Forecast

Synopsis

Upper trough crosses the UK during Friday, at the surface – parent low moves east to the N of Scotland while one or two surface troughs with associated occluded fronts on the southern side of the low cross the UK and Ireland. An unstable Wly veering NWly flow covers most of the UK, with a risk of thunderstorms developing with diurnal heating.

… IRELAND, N. IRELAND, ENGLAND, WALES and S SCOTLAND …

A wedge of rather steep lapse rates over Ireland and far west of UK this morning, associated with cold pool of mid-level air in axis of upper trough moving east, will support the development eastwards of heavy showers / thunderstorms across much of the above areas through the rest of the morning and through the afternoon … as diurnal heating increases surface instability … with GFS indicating 300-700 j/kg across large parts of the UK during peak heating this afternoon away from north Scotland … where cloudier skies and dynamic rainfall will be prevalent.

Deep layer shear will be fairly weak generally, which will mean showers/storms will be disorganised and pulse-type on the whole. However, across S Ireland, S Wales and S England – stronger Wly flow aloft and 30knts+ of DL shear may organise showers/storms better into clusters/line segments capable of producing marginal risk of strong wind gusts (40-50mph), marginal risk of hail up to 2cm in diameter + marginal risk of flooding. Also, backing of winds / increase in low-level shear ahead of troughs moving through combined with local topographical effects on flow may enhance the risk of an isolated tornado too across S Ireland, Wales and SW England – where LCLs (Lifted Condensation Levels) or cloud bases will be lowest.

Issued by: Nick Finnis

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Huge downpour here this morning leaving 9mm in the rain gauge in less than 15 minutes. Probably would've been more if the rain wasn't sideways at times. Exciting start to the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think it's going to be a east of the M6 job today. oh well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Some incredibly unstable and convective looking skies around here at the moment. :bomb::D

• Like 2

Posted

Lines of heavy showers all morning from around Preston eastwards but I have been in a dry slot throughout! :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
26 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I think it's going to be a east of the M6 job today. oh well. 

Morning @Chris.R :)

Don't give up hope just yet mate... The skies are brewing up very nicely around here! Lots of small single cell fibreous anvils! :bomb::good:

• Like 2