Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn thoughts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
22 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Don't follow your solar output logic? The biggest factor that affects solar output or input on earth are clouds then probably aerosols in the atmosphere then solar eclipses. 

Yes, but this solar cycle is significantly less active than previous ones, well previous recent ones. I agree that the actual difference regarding what energy makes it to the trees etc will be minimal, and day length will be pretty much the same year on year on any given date, but maybe it doesn't need a big difference to trigger the changes in trees etc. I'm a country mile away from being any kind of an expert, just an observation / discussion point

Posted

Looks like we could be starting autumn on a more variable note than recent ones, yes high pressure looks like descending upon the country as we enter September, a common theme of many recent years, however, the atlantic looks very fired up this year, with the added ingredient of a more active hurricane season quite likely, then I think we could see quite pronounced ridge/trough developments with a more meridional jetstream this season, on occasion it will deliver some warmth from the south with perhaps even trough disruption with strong ridge development to the east, but also some sharp diving trough features anchoring NW-SE through the country with some cold NW blast behind. A very different autumn to many we have become accustomed too, much less in the way of benign weather,and perhaps some proper squally gales to blow the cobwebs away.

• Like 6

Posted

So that's it then. Holidays are over, Christmas cards are in the shops, Autumn Discussion thread opens on Friday and it's all downhill to the Winter Solstice :cold:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Even a sprinkle over Nevis Tuesday.. ☺

FB_IMG_1503993553804.thumb.jpg.0dbefcaf48eaf51b471e92d26d02dbb8.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Netweather's monthly forecast shows September will be warmer, drier and sunnier than average for many

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=monthly;sess=

574575.thumb.png.a065b3d715d94872c6a080e099762b2d.png

:)

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Some trees (quite a few) have changing leaf colour.  Some have already dropped a load of leaves!  

Seems very early!?  ....

Posted
9 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

So that's it then. Holidays are over, Christmas cards are in the shops, Autumn Discussion thread opens on Friday and it's all downhill to the Winter Solstice :cold:

Will it be another perpetual autumn until spring in March 2018??.... 

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Cool day today for August with a max temp of 15.5c, feeling autumnal.

• Like 1

Posted

Distinct autumnal feel to things today, temps maxing out just barely scraping 15 degrees, dropped to 13 degrees early this evening, a definite coolness in the air.. some chilly nights ahead as well. An early start to autumn this year I feel..

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Distinct autumnal feel to things today, temps maxing out just barely scraping 15 degrees, dropped to 13 degrees early this evening, a definite coolness in the air.. some chilly nights ahead as well. An early start to autumn this year I feel..

They're predicted 7-8c for the early hours of Thursday morning. This is what we want !!

• Thanks 1

Posted
On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 17:34, Weather_Novice said:

Some trees (quite a few) have changing leaf colour.  Some have already dropped a load of leaves!  

Seems very early!?  ....

Mainly conker/Horse Chestnuts, this is due to a UK-wide fungal infection in the tree. Everything else is in full bloom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well it's set off to a good start here this morning ☺

20170901_064845.thumb.jpg.0a6daf5f9845ac99d6883442d6748417.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Amazing start to Autumn here, a low of 5c last night but in the misty valleys places fell as low at 3c.

highhutton10917.thumb.jpg.343b6f4721c6561590c8c3a546ef1b7b.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
On 31/08/2017 at 08:07, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Mainly conker/Horse Chestnuts, this is due to a UK-wide fungal infection in the tree. Everything else is in full bloom

Sorry thats rubbish yes conkers to tend to go browner earlier. Can be sure and i have seen them the ones that have started leaf colur and they arent omly conker tt3es

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Absolutely no difference with leaves changing around here other than the horse chestnuts.

Lovely day today. That's why I prefer early Autumn and late spring over the middle of summer, can be lengthy sunny spells without being unpleasantly warm! Loving the fresh nights too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

And so begins my fave time of year.

Kicking off with my bubs birthday in a few days <3

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It looks like most northern parts with the exception of western Scotland will now stay dry tomorrow whilst some south western parts will be wetter for longer

Last night

45654.thumb.png.83a9205a33351480c613e9a2026043b6.png

This afternoon

5676575.thumb.png.35edb5bd4682a6b210ffe4508268102c.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Just a feeling sadly, this could be the last day of 2017 that feels summery, damn Autumn proper looks like arriving tomorrow, away from the SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Just a feeling sadly, this could be the last day of 2017 that feels summery, damn Autumn proper looks like arriving tomorrow, away from the SE

If we could get High pressure without heat, then I'd sympathise. Trouble is, I haven't seen one chart this summer to prove me wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

If we could get High pressure without heat, then I'd sympathise. Trouble is, I haven't seen one chart this summer to prove me wrong.

Sept and 0ct, can have hp without heat, then Nov to Feb, ready for the Atlantic steam train, then E Winds for mid March, frequently through to Whit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
On 01/09/2017 at 17:33, Nick L said:

Absolutely no difference with leaves changing around here other than the horse chestnuts.

Lovely day today. That's why I prefer early Autumn and late spring over the middle of summer, can be lengthy sunny spells without being unpleasantly warm! Loving the fresh nights too.

I agree,so much better than mid summer,lovely sunshine,cool nights means good nights sleep,no 4am wake up call from nature,the list just goes on:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I agree,so much better than mid summer,lovely sunshine,cool nights means good nights sleep,no 4am wake up call from nature,the list just goes on:)

Yeah. They nights're really drawing in now. Roll on equinox and weaker sun.

• Like 1