Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn thoughts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Early warnings out for Saturday

Between 04:00 Sat 21st and 23:59 Sat 21st

A spell of strong southwesterly winds is expected. Some coastal routes and communities are likely to be affected by large waves, with potential for flooding of properties. Some transport disruption is likely across the warning area, with delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport. Short term loss of power and other services is also possible.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

An intense low pressure system is expected to bring a swathe of strong southwesterly winds over southern areas early on Saturday, these steadily transferring east through the morning and early afternoon, becoming westerly and eventually northwesterly later whilst also slowly easing. Gusts exceeding 50 mph are expected widely within the warning area, with gusts of around 70 mph along exposed coastal areas. These are expected to coincide with high tides, leading to locally dangerous conditions.

ec85eab5-2446-4162-ac63-838dbf716ce7.thumb.png.cf89524c2fa9f58c924aadb29508d09a.png

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2017-10-21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

IMG_2457.thumb.JPG.77ffcf4346ee7c597cc054a60eabb078.JPGBack garden mid September. From this 

IMG_2468.JPG

Posted

To this dreary colourwashed state, taken Monday (black blob is not an Autumnal anomaly! It's my Labrador puppy chewing lying around chewing a twig). The same day last year's similar photo was full of colour with trees still in full leaf. Unfortunately I'm having problems uploading the photo for comparison.

IMG_0417.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I’m currently in Zakynthos and the weather here for October has been stunning. Clear blue skies and local temperatures in mid 20s. The locals are calling it the best October here for many years. I was here the 1st week of May and the weather wasn’t as good as this!

I’m back on Sunday probably to start my autumn properly ie 14c rain and gales :D 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 19/10/2017 at 12:34, Soaring Hawk said:

To this dreary colourwashed state, taken Monday (black blob is not an Autumnal anomaly! It's my Labrador puppy chewing lying around chewing a twig). The same day last year's similar photo was full of colour with trees still in full leaf. Unfortunately I'm having problems uploading the photo for comparison.

IMG_0417.JPG

Morning @Soaring Hawk :)
I have to agree, this is turning into one dreary, colourless autumn, with just endless grey skies and virtually no colour whatsoever on the trees. :cray:
As an autumn lover, it pains me to say this, but I will be so glad when autumn 2017 is over, as it just hasn't struck a chord with me at all. :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

Out walking in Buttermere and travelled through Borrowdale this weekend, in an average year this is peak season time for autumnal colours, alas not this year, due to factors, lack of sunshine and cold weather - a frost works wonders, and also strong winds. Many trees are bare already, and the landscape has a very November look to it, everything is soaking and soggy, and rather beaten about.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nice to see the Geese migrating flying over the house just ☺

20171031_083719.thumb.jpg.26762ad5cff4e586bf8ea3384b7051d0.jpg20171031_083713.thumb.jpg.cf1fe1a84826b6f694e8eccbf65042b3.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

4th mild Halloween in a row. 2014 18.3c ,warmest ive recorded, 2015 15.9c, 2016 14.0c, today 13.6c. So the last 3 being colder then the year before though today just slightly colder then last yr . Maybe i will get a cold halloween in about 10 years time at this rate lol. My last average halloween was 2013 12.2c.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted

My sense of October is of a cloudy and windy month, with the exception of the last few days when the sun came back and my area had a few, perfect, warm but crisp Autumn days. 

Today has been sunny, a bit chilly out of the sun but perfect for the country walk I had. High of 14C, very little wind at 5mph. Good visibility and another beautiful sunset. A great start to November..:smile:

C843FF0F-01F6-48CB-8854-468CA4261664.jpeg

Edited by Soaring Hawk
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
8 minutes ago, Soaring Hawk said:

My sense of October is of a cloudy and windy month, with the exception of the last few days when the sun came back and my area had a few, perfect, warm but crisp Autumn days. 

Today has been sunny, a bit chilly out of the sun but perfect for the country walk I had. High of 14C, very little wind at 5mph. Good visibility and another beautiful sunset. A great start to November..:smile:

C843FF0F-01F6-48CB-8854-468CA4261664.jpeg

Yes, a beautiful day for enjoying the outdoors.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I have to say the last week has been very enjoyable with a lot of usable dry, bright and sometimes chilly weather - perfect for a friend of mine from France visiting over the weekend. I wasn't impressed overall by October in terms of interest but it was a dry month overall and made my day to day doings a lot drier than those in September!

Posted

Oct 2017 ,a bland boring  mild month,like most October's recently.  Ophelia added some interest but I would have much preferred cooler days and frosty nights rather then any hurricane.  Yet another Oct this century that makes into Britain's top ten mildest Oct.Im sure it's probably similar in Ireland too. Climate change is destroying autumn its as simple as that.

• Like 1

Posted

Well after 3 months of persistantly wet dull weather since mid July, are we now entering a drier quieter period I wonder? - I've commented many a time how we seem to be experiencing lengthy periods of similiar type weather - wet followed by dry lasting quite some time, mind we have had quite a dry period overall since the exceptional wet period of late 2015, with only a few blips, might the last 3 months have been a blip... 

Good to see Jack Frost back!

Posted

Nice to see snow forecast down to 600m it the Peak District forecast.

Posted

My first single digit max temp of the season today,9.4c.  Used to get them in Oct but that hasnt happened since 2012.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

About as dry as 1995 and just a touch cooler.

This autumn thus far is a bit like autumn 1995.

It would be nice if this coming winter is a 'bit' like 1995/96, too!

Posted
9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

About as dry as 1995 and just a touch cooler.

This autumn thus far is a bit like autumn 1995.

Some similarities with autumn 1995 so far. Sept 1995 was very wet and dull and cool predominantly cyclonic. Sept 2017 was also cool very wet and dull. Oct 95 very mild and dry and sunny. Oct 2017 very mild, but much duller with average rainfall - so not quite the same. Nov 95 I recall was fairly average there was a cold shot mid month, don't remember it being particularly wet or stormy or especially settled. 

Major difference though is autumn 95 came on the back of the best summer since 1976 here. Would be great to see a winter like 95/96 again. Not as good as 09/10, but very good all the same. lots of good memories of that time.

• Like 1