Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn thoughts

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Exacta weathers potential widespread snow dates have appeared

22154528_834860763348616_546955138132864169_n.thumb.png.2b75ca9b99a902da879d36ff4c83431d.png

https://www.facebook.com/231254790375886/photos/pcb.834860813348611/834860763348616/?type=3&theater

Ohhh puleeeez, will they ever learn??

Posted

How quickly does the feel of things change at this time of year, largely due to the rapid loss of light. A wet day produces low light levels overall, and a quick descent into dusk around half 6.. it very much can feel like the depths of winter, despite temps holding well into the teens still. Sunshine now really does make a difference, but even that starts to rapidly lose its powerful influence.

Oh dear I'm being a bit despondent, the real change takes place when the clocks go back, the next three weeks or so are just a playful tease in this respect. This year we are seeing a much more seasonal autumn, that has started much earlier coming on the back of a rather disappointing August, indeed we've had three months of predominantly unsettled conditions, and it is against this background it probably feels later in the year than it really is.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

As you know, I normally try and be fairly optimistic and up beat with my posts, certainly with regards to autumn, but I have to say (from a totally IMBY perspective of course), what a dull, grey, colourless autumn this is turning into! :(
Hints of the glorious colours on the trees, rapidly get replaced with green to washed out yellow, and then mud brown, before falling to the ground. 
Only a handful of pleasant sunny days since September, most have started off kinda sunny, before the dreaded grey infill rolls in around 10.00 in the morning, leaving us will yet another day of dull grey damp nothingness... In fact very reminiscent of summer 2016, and that was an awful gloomfest! 
If its gonna be grey and calm, then let it be misty and foggy, as at least that's atmospheric! This dull grey nothingness is just awful! :nonono:
I really hope that things change soon, either with a few good autumn storms, or proper fogs, or clear pleasant sunny days, as the light in October is like no other time of year. 
But for me personally, autumn 2017 is rapidly turning into one to forget. :cray:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
5 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

As you know, I normally try and be fairly optimistic and up beat with my posts, certainly with regards to autumn, but I have to say (from a totally IMBY perspective of course), what a dull, grey, colourless autumn this is turning into! :(
Hints of the glorious colours on the trees, rapidly get replaced with green to washed out yellow, and then mud brown, before falling to the ground. 
Only a handful of pleasant sunny days since September, most have started off kinda sunny, before the dreaded grey infill rolls in around 10.00 in the morning, leaving us will yet another day of dull grey damp nothingness... In fact very reminiscent of summer 2016, and that was an awful gloomfest! 
If its gonna be grey and calm, then let it be misty and foggy, as at least that's atmospheric! This dull grey nothingness is just awful! :nonono:
I really hope that things change soon, either with a few good autumn storms, or proper fogs, or clear pleasant sunny days, as the light in October is like no other time of year. 
But for me personally, autumn 2017 is rapidly turning into one to forget. :cray:

Just the type of Autumn weather I dislike too. Hope it begins to improve in your neck of the woods. Missing out on that golden light of October is a real shame, as you say a very special time of year in terms of the light.

• Like 2

Posted

I divide autumn into two distinct parts, the first part usually lasting until around 20 October, the second part until early December. The first part is often the most uninteresting period of the year weatherwise, lingering summer warmth is still in the air, we are unlikely to see any real cold or frost, and it can be a rather lacklustre spell. However, autumn often truly only kicks in during the latter part of October, when gales, the first frosts, fog, and sometimes wintry stuff on the highest tops occurs, usually when we see a max in the single digits as well. Early November is a very evocative period, the clocks have gone back, and there is a dampness chill in the air, that distinct smell of decay that you only get at that time of year - that's proper autumn for me. Its then a gradual slow descent into winter, often grey and wet but sometimes frosty and cold. Last autumn brought a decent November weatherwise with a bit of everything.

Don't give up on autumn just yet - it usually hasn't got going yet in an average year.

• Like 6

Posted
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I divide autumn into two distinct parts, the first part usually lasting until around 20 October, the second part until early December. The first part is often the most uninteresting period of the year weatherwise, lingering summer warmth is still in the air, we are unlikely to see any real cold or frost, and it can be a rather lacklustre spell. However, autumn often truly only kicks in during the latter part of October, when gales, the first frosts, fog, and sometimes wintry stuff on the highest tops occurs, usually when we see a max in the single digits as well. Early November is a very evocative period, the clocks have gone back, and there is a dampness chill in the air, that distinct smell of decay that you only get at that time of year - that's proper autumn for me. Its then a gradual slow descent into winter, often grey and wet but sometimes frosty and cold. Last autumn brought a decent November weatherwise with a bit of everything.

Don't give up on autumn just yet - it usually hasn't got going yet in an average year.

Looking at the ECM today I get the sinking feeling that the whole of October is heading to the bin. That horrible euro high is pumping warmth from very far south and as usual we are stuck in the worst spot. Having said much of Europe is looking warm and dry.

Posted
54 minutes ago, karyo said:

Looking at the ECM today I get the sinking feeling that the whole of October is heading to the bin. That horrible euro high is pumping warmth from very far south and as usual we are stuck in the worst spot. Having said much of Europe is looking warm and dry.

Is it not better to get warmth pumped up as far north as possible to give hlb a change further down the line?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, karyo said:

Well I'm still looking for warmth! so the opposite for me, Snow is not possible for most of the south

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, joggs said:

Is it not better to get warmth pumped up as far north as possible to give hlb a change further down the line?

The problem is we are always on the warm passage of air because the high gets stuck in the continent. If it was to retrogress 2000 miles north it would be good but it doesn't tend to happen. The same thing happened in the last few autumns and winters.

Posted
20 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Well I'm still looking for warmth! so the opposite for me, Snow is not possible for most of the south

And the longer this pattern continues the least possible it will be as the ground and SSTs will be above average.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
5 hours ago, karyo said:

And the longer this pattern continues the least possible it will be as the ground and SSTs will be above average.

Indeed,people would want to be very careful what they wish for at this time of yr. Have they learnt nothing from the  past number of yrs etc? 

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
14 minutes ago, sundog said:

Indeed,people would want to be very careful what they wish for at this time of yr. Have they learnt nothing from the  past number of yrs etc? 

Some of the people on here would want 20-odd c temps at christmas.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

6 years ago on the 1st the UK recorded it's hottest October day on record with 29.9c so it is certainly not unusual to see temperatures into the 20s in October

With what is seemingly a warmer climate now not just for the UK but Europe in general people will just have to adapt to these warmer temperatures in Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

With what is seemingly a warmer climate now not just for the UK but Europe in general people will just have to adapt to these warmer temperatures in Autumn

And followed by poor winters.........

Posted

I'm glad to be off to Latvia for the Christmas holidays. At least there's guareteed snowfall. Plus, I love those cold minus temp days with clear skies.

Wish we could have more of those winters from the 2008-2012 era back.

• Like 1

Posted

Reading some of the posts above, I'm reminded back to the dark days of 2006 and 2007 when many were also writing off the chances of colder seasons, alas all changed 2008-2013. The weather will continue to play with us.. I do believe the energy from the sun is a significant factor..

• Like 3

Posted

Does anyone know how to find Met Office weather station observations? The Met Office website is so hard to navigate and seems very dumbed down these days. All I want to do is see latest rainfall totals for Lake District stations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, Mountain Snow said:

Does anyone know how to find Met Office weather station observations? The Met Office website is so hard to navigate and seems very dumbed down these days. All I want to do is see latest rainfall totals for Lake District stations.

The biggest failing of the Met Office is that they make it so difficult to find real time data, and even then it's hourly observations. 

• Like 1