Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn thoughts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
46 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Hello 2010!!!

cfsnh-0-1188_oif3.png

Uh oh fb... here we go again. Time to come out of hibernation soon. Goodbye sleep, wife and children for 4 months whilst I'm chasing a phantom Greeny High :fool: 

• Like 4

Posted
50 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Uh oh fb... here we go again. Time to come out of hibernation soon. Goodbye sleep, wife and children for 4 months whilst I'm chasing a phantom Greeny High :fool: 

Yes, looking forward to all the Winter peeps showing their faces. Best time of the year almost here! :yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
6 minutes ago, Nizzer said:

Yes, looking forward to all the Winter peeps showing their faces. Best time of the year almost here! :yahoo:

or the worst time :wallbash:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
Just now, Nizzer said:

Of course, depending on your preference I should of added. :pardon:

yep its when the lunatics take over the asylum 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
11 hours ago, Nizzer said:

Plenty of fun to be had. I just don't like it when the foolishness overshadows the fun.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Ive noticed the trees changing colors much faster here in Ireland this Autumn then back at home in Slovakia

sp.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Loving the Autumn weather here this week. 16 degrees in the day and sunny. Dropping to 7 at night. Squirrels busy away stocking up for winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 hours ago, Seasonality said:

Plenty of fun to be had. I just don't like it when the foolishness overshadows the fun.

Is that not an oxymoron :rofl: Foolishness and fun kind of go hand in hand in my experience :nonono: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

Is that not an oxymoron :rofl: Foolishness and fun kind of go hand in hand in my experience :nonono: 

Ha ha, you're right, good natured silliness is great. But I don't mean the harmless kind...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

A lot of rain and windy weather this september compared to previous ones, which us helping to take of leaves prematurely. An Irish observation.

Edited by Windchime72

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A few more days like today would be nice in October at least. Very pleasant indeed - fresh but also warm if that makes sense.

Posted

One thing I've liked about this September is its fairly quick transition into a Autumnal type of month compared to some of the more Summery types we've had in recent years. Though of course nobody has any solid idea how this coming Winter may pan out, but I'm slightly optimistic that at least the type of September we've experienced is possibly more conducive to be followed by a colder Winter than a more Summery type. Though that may or not be true. The next 2 months though are likely more important to what type of Winter we transition into than this one.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

One thing I've liked about this September is its fairly quick transition into a Autumnal type of month compared to some of the more Summery types we've had in recent years. Though of course nobody has any solid idea how this coming Winter may pan out, but I'm slightly optimistic that at least the type of September we've experienced is possibly more conducive to be followed by a colder Winter than a more Summery type. Though that may or not be true. The next 2 months though are likely more important to what type of Winter we transition into than this one.

I wish this September had continued like the first half of the month. The southerlies are back now and the CET is rising fast.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, karyo said:

I wish this September had continued like the first half of the month. The southerlies are back now and the CET is rising fast.

Me too. Though I hear that after the wet spell coming up, pressure rises again after that. I've also heard a warm dry October been touted as a common predecessor to a cold Winter, so we may still be heading in the right direction in terms of Autumn synoptics which have a tendency to precede cold Winters? Then again it's likely not that straight forward and I'm sure all sorts of Winters have followed all sorts of Autumn's throughout time.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Me too. Though I hear that after the wet spell coming up, pressure rises again after that. I've also heard a warm dry October been touted as a common predecessor to a cold Winter, so we may still be heading in the right direction in terms of Autumn synoptics which have a tendency to precede cold Winters? Then again it's likely not that straight forward and I'm sure all sorts of Winters have followed all sorts of Autumn's throughout time.

The thing is that most months are warmer than average these days. Even this month after being comfortably below average has now gone back to average thanks to the recent rise in temperatures. 

Personally, I am not even wishing for a cold winter anymore (as it is so hard to achieve). I just want some notable cold spells that can give some hard frost and snow that doesn't melt in a few hours. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Shame that the back end of this month has reverted to "summer extension" after a good start.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, karyo said:

The thing is that most months are warmer than average these days. Even this month after being comfortably below average has now gone back to average thanks to the recent rise in temperatures. 

Personally, I am not even wishing for a cold winter anymore (as it is so hard to achieve). I just want some notable cold spells that can give some hard frost and snow that doesn't melt in a few hours. 

Well beggars can't be choosers I suppose :D. Even a brief spell of very cold temperatures with appreciable snow cover that sticks around for more than a few hours would be a bit of a relief after the previous 4 Winters. But lets be honest if that happened we'd soon be craving another bout. Keeps us interested I suppose. Anyway I don't think it's worth putting too much stock in what this months CET happens to be. I mean what's been happening day to day is probably what really matters, rather than some arbitrary average figure based on a specific 30 day timeline. And I'm still for now holding out hope that a new cluster of cold and snowy Winters is not far round the corner, with the possibility that this coming Winter could be the initial one :D.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, karyo said:

At least we haven't had a major heatwave to end the month like we did back in 2011!

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
52 minutes ago, Don said:

At least we haven't had a major heatwave to end the month like we did back in 2011!

Yes the difference with this September compared to many recent ones has been the absence of any real heat. Whilst recent days have been very mild, locally warm, I think the highest max for the month is only 24 degrees - correct me if I'm wrong, nothing special.

Its been an odd month the synoptics of recent days being more akin to what we might normally see at the start of the month, and conversely the synoptics early-mid month more what we would expect to see at the end of the month.

Echoing others views though, at least September has felt in the main an autumnal month unlike many recent ones, when it has felt like an extension of Summer.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted

September 84 was cool overall, following a hot July and August. The October and early part of November was warmish that year. 

The winter that followed was freezing cold. This was the start of a run of cold winters, and poorer summers during the mid 80s

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

September in Europe,temps.wise,wouldn't we all love this to persist for another 6 months,ha

FB_IMG_1506782630878.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nice to see some snow on the BBC graphics.

• Thanks 1