Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn thoughts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Sept and 0ct, can have hp without heat, then Nov to Feb, ready for the Atlantic steam train, then E Winds for mid March, frequently through to Whit

Tell that to the GFS. That thing is really trying to prove my point today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Trees and bracken definitely on the turn around here, not noticed conker trees going at all...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Trees turning here some well on the way as well. Much earlier than normal.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Looks like a wild week or two to come with frequent strong winds and plenty of frontal rain and blustery showers. Hopefully not much wind damage to trees as they are all still in full leaf. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Looks like a wild week or two to come with frequent strong winds and plenty of frontal rain and blustery showers. Hopefully not much wind damage to trees as they are all still in full leaf. 

Well, I have to say what a dull grey gloomfest of a September this is so far... From a totally IMBY perspective you understand.
It started off promising last Friday and Saturday, and has gone down hill ever since. :nea:
For me this is the constant sort of still, calm gloomfest that we normally get in October, around the time of St. Luke's little summer... And it seems right in October... But not now! ... Don't get me wrong, I do like calm misty, foggy mornings, to me its very atmospheric and what autumn is all about... But this is just dull grey nothingness, with a bit of added drizzle! :nea:
So I'm all in favour of frequent strong winds with frontal rain and blustery showers... We might get to see the sun and blues skies, which are normally very pleasant in September. :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

very weird here..trees are already awash with orange and yellow..yet its over 30c yet again..could reach 32-33c today..dont see much of a cool down until middle of next week either 

• Like 1

Posted

Noticed quite a bit of early leaf colour change this year, but may just be a sign those trees affected in some state of stress. The Rowan tree near me though is coated in vivid orange leaves, and many of the berries are being eaten by thrushes and jackdaws. Last year though the birds didn't clear it clean until mid November. Balckberries this year were very early also. 

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like today could be the last 80f day of the season..currently its 28c 82f...after today the summer heat that's been around since mid May finally gets washed away and looking at the models shows know sign of returning in the next two weeks...Autumn start in earnest tomorrow with temps back to 15c and down to 10c or 11c later in the week and weekend..with frosts at night forecast.

• Like 1

Posted

The trees seem to be going greener since all the showery weather we`ve had lately,the early summer drought and heatwave seem to of knocked them back abit.

As for tonight`s severe gales upto 75mph gusts which shouldn`t last too long but will cause serious damage with all the trees still in full leaf.

So far it hasn`t been overly windy except sunday more.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A lot of trees now turning and dropping leaves round here. Looks lovely though me thinking its early is probably more a reflection that they've seen no real heat since July and we finally have a seasonal September. 

I do hope we get a cold and sunny October though. Last year produced wonderous colours.

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

The conker trees are about 2-3 weeks ahead of all the other varieties. We'll lose a lot of leaves tonight

It's the leaf miner infection.

http://www.conkertreescience.org.uk/threats

Posted
20 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Looks like today could be the last 80f day of the season..currently its 28c 82f...after today the summer heat that's been around since mid May finally gets washed away and looking at the models shows know sign of returning in the next two weeks...Autumn start in earnest tomorrow with temps back to 15c and down to 10c or 11c later in the week and weekend..with frosts at night forecast.

what a difference a day makes as they say..yesterday was a new record of 29c for 11th September..today its cool and cloudy with a high of 13c..there is even some snow in the forecast for later in the week for areas West and South of the city,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Storm Aileen was so bad York blew into the North Sea !!

storm.jpg

Yes, I live 14 miles NE of York and I woke up in the North Sea this morning :shok:

• Like 1

Posted
On 12/09/2017 at 09:24, summer blizzard said:

A lot of trees now turning and dropping leaves round here. Looks lovely though me thinking its early is probably more a reflection that they've seen no real heat since July and we finally have a seasonal September. 

I do hope we get a cold and sunny October though. Last year produced wonderous colours.

They do seem early, more colour here than you'd expect most years well into October.
A common reason given for early colouring is a dry summer but that doesn't apply.
They did come into leaf quite early and growing conditions have been good so probably just completed the cycle and keep moving on.
If we happen to have a real frost on the early side too it will really hammer them.
I do recall a few times a serious frost approaching -5 happened relatively early -while  most were in full leaf, and the next day they were literally tumbling off as the sun hit them.

• Like 3

Posted

Trees don`t like hot and drought either as 2006 showed and 1976.

Well its been along while since the first half of September has been so changeable and cool coming in from the west/NW keeping the warm air well to the SW,that looks like changing for the second half as warm azores high comes it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind, Thunder, Snow, warm sunshine!
On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 08:23, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Up at my normal 4:30am start today - no sunrise !! Lights on in the kitchen, here we go ........#NearlyAutumn

Conkers swelling, crab apples abound, blackberries on the turn, a bumper crop of sloes, hawthorn berries tinged red, damsons looking bountiful and elderberry everywhere.

Technically, it's still 'High Summer', but Autumn's all around us if you know where to look.

Anyone seen any credible Long Range Forecasts yet?

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

Blimey you was jumping the gun wasn't you starting this thread back in July?... lol  Well there's no doubting that autumn is well and truly upon us now what with our first significant Storm / Low-Pressure system coming through last night in Aileen and this generally unsettled and showery feel that we've had to the weather in the last couple of weeks or so and average temps coming down from the low 20's Celsius as you'd typically expect in the summer to the high teens. Having said all that one would be thinking to themselves it was quite difficult to tell where summer ended and autumn begun this year what with most of August being a terrible washout! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Turning out to be the start to a proper Autumn fingers crossed,so much better than the last few years...an actual season! :) Leaves just starting to turn, sound of the fallen ones in the wind,the so much better light with that mellow feel.for me the best time of year by far. Very happy indeed and still warm enough for working in shorts! Can't complain at all!:)

• Like 2

Posted

This evening is the first to produce that real autumn chill, thanks to the polar airstream, the low level sunlight was superb, and you could see your breathe when you breathed, temperatures 10 degrees at 6pm.. many a eve in Jan and Feb milder than that.. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

A stark contrast to the temperature of last year indeed, let's hope we will have a different outcome this year with winter as well,have a feeling we will have a front loaded cold weather,its my last one in Wicklow mountains before returning to Slovakia for good to a nice mountainous village(800m.asl) where winter can be fairytale

FB_IMG_1505368165934.jpg

• Like 3