Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn thoughts

Posted
13 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Complete agreement between GLOSEA and CFS now. Extremely similar in their prognosis. Horrid

glbz700MonInd5.gif

That high pressure to the north-west of the US has been displaced northwards semi-permanently in recent winters and there it is yet again. It serves to direct cold air from the Canadian arctic southwards which then hits the warm Atlantic out of the east coast and fires up the jet. We then get the usual SW-NE line of low pressures and resultant high pressure over Europe. Its also caused the Californian drought so I imagine they would be happy to see the back of it too!

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, reef said:

That high pressure to the north-west of the US has been displaced northwards semi-permanently in recent winters and there it is yet again. It serves to direct cold air from the Canadian arctic southwards which then hits the warm Atlantic out of the east coast and fires up the jet. We then get the usual SW-NE line of low pressures and resultant high pressure over Europe. Its also caused the Californian drought so I imagine they would be happy to see the back of it too!

That high pressure was a result of warmer than average SST's in the north east Pacific.  It did cool down but has now warmed once again which is possibly why the model is forecasting high pressure over the north west US.  Another bad sign for winter if you like it cold.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
On 14/08/2017 at 02:02, CreweCold said:

Complete agreement between GLOSEA and CFS now. Extremely similar in their prognosis. Horrid

glbz700MonInd5.gif

Speaking of winter that brings me nicely onto this from Exacta weather

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
12 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

BRRR going by those pictures they've used its looking like a cold winter coming up :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

What indications do they mean I wonder. I guess they have not seen the GLOSEA or the CFS.

Posted
10 minutes ago, karyo said:

What indications do they mean I wonder. I guess they have not seen the GLOSEA or the CFS.

Looks like Exacta weather have hijacked the CFS model too ;)

cfs-0-4362.png?12

Posted
14 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

cfs-0-4362.png?12

haha

That's one of the many CFS daily runs so it has no value at all. We need the monthly maps to start showing some blue

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Any thoughts for Autumn though? I see lots of talk of winter but Autumn thoughts would be nice.

• Like 1

Posted

I reckon we'll get a cool and wet Autumn. That run of Septembers and Octobers is over now. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
13 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

First Autumn mists sat in the harvested wheat fields this morning - a stunning sight. Here we go.....

Evening @Turnedoutniceagain:)
The first mists appeared around here about four weeks ago :D
I notice that there is a bumper crop of berries in the hedgerows as well :D

7 hours ago, Seasonality said:

Any thoughts for Autumn though? I see lots of talk of winter but Autumn thoughts would be nice.

Evening @Seasonality :)
My thoughts exactly! I thought that this was the autumn thread, and all people seem to be doing is frothing over winter. :cc_confused:
As I said much earlier in this thread I'm hoping for a pleasant and sunny September, with lots of cool nights and misty mornings and hopefully a few last remaining summer thunderstorms, followed by an October that continues the cooling trend, and allows the misty mornings to slowly start developing into a foggy day or two about the middle of the month, before giving way to those misty start and end sunny days with that misty smokey golden haze to the air especially on the run up to Halloween. As the light in September and October is like no other time of the year, especially with the trees being on the turn. :rolleyes:
As for November, once the glory of the autumn colours are over, I hope we see a few big wind storms, as I does enjoy wrapping up and pulling my boots on for a nice long walk on a good ole blustery, late autumn day... Interspersed with many more misty mornings and evenings with that beautiful light that only a low sun in the sky can bring. :rolleyes:

I really don't know if it'll pan out like that of course, but there is now't wrong with hopecasting. :D

• Like 3

Posted

A cool feel out there already tonight, alarm set for 5.30am to see if there's any mellow mistyness around sunrise which will make for some nice pictures.

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Evening @Turnedoutniceagain:)
The first mists appeared around here about four weeks ago :D
I notice that there is a bumper crop of berries in the hedgerows as well :D

Evening @Seasonality :)
My thoughts exactly! I thought that this was the autumn thread, and all people seem to be doing is frothing over winter. :cc_confused:
As I said much earlier in this thread I'm hoping for a pleasant and sunny September, with lots of cool nights and misty mornings and hopefully a few last remaining summer thunderstorms, followed by an October that continues the cooling trend, and allows the misty mornings to slowly start developing into a foggy day or two about the middle of the month, before giving way to those misty start and end sunny days with that misty smokey golden haze to the air especially on the run up to Halloween. As the light in September and October is like no other time of the year, especially with the trees being on the turn. :rolleyes:
As for November, once the glory of the autumn colours are over, I hope we see a few big wind storms, as I does enjoy wrapping up and pulling my boots on for a nice long walk on a good ole blustery, late autumn day... Interspersed with many more misty mornings and evenings with that beautiful light that only a low sun in the sky can bring. :rolleyes:

I really don't know if it'll pan out like that of course, but there is now't wrong with hopecasting. :D

A very poetic autumn forecast, and similar to what I'd like to see!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Whilst no mist across the fields this morning, there was a nice sunrise and some mist over the River Derwent that runs through the valley at Kirkham.

1608173.thumb.jpg.a7c626b537cac81866f539cf69079bb7.jpg158171.thumb.jpg.73cf6963fd6d4e75d0d1c7a521bffe14.jpg168172.thumb.jpg.a20946587c8a141fc9d6fded57973957.jpg1608174.thumb.jpg.c751e9499da265dec15f12f4bf895ead.jpg

After a warm Spring and start to summer I'm very much in Autumn mode right now :D

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes a nice Autumnal feel to this morning with a lovely cloud inversion here to wake up to.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
22 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

cfs-0-4362.thumb.png.3b142f59c3e16afb306e7a946c7ab0b1.png

Charts like that in winter wouldn't go down very well amongst the coldies

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

It looks wintry for Greece! lol

Posted
2 hours ago, karyo said:

It looks wintry for Greece! lol

Sort of like last winter then....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Way things have been in the west of Scotland for the past two months, anything in autumn that doesn't involve a daily soaking will be an improvement for us.

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Lol!!

Posted

Nights are noticably drawing in now. I too think the run of pleasant Septembers might me over.

I'm a bit of a weather lore fan and I was quite surprised to see the squirrels (who have lived in the communal gardens of our flat for decades) starting to build their winter dreys 11 days early this year which is a bit baffling as it's nothing to do with weather but light levels.

Posted
8 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

I too think the run of pleasant Septembers might me over.

I'm hoping for a cool and unsettled September this year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Don said:

I'm hoping for a cool and unsettled September this year!

I'm not, I want it warm and settled, wouldn't mind an Indian summer