Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn thoughts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
9 hours ago, karyo said:

Last month people here posted the Autumn outlook from various seasonal models. Do we have an August update yet?

I'm on the case... Just getting the required charts from the Cansips model. :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

As requested, here is a closer look at this coming autumn from the Canadian Cansips model.
Lets start off with September...
cansips_mslpa_eu_2.thumb.png.551d94ef5d7d6b80ad1dc62e74c391d7.png
cansips_apcpna_month_eu_2.thumb.png.c8fdb5eb75afaeb034f1ed924aea5aae.png
cansips_T2ma_eu_2.thumb.png.3a7c649ccd5b7ac351bcd994d42ebbf3.png
Ok... The 500mb flow does look a tad unsettled for next month, but the precipitation chart shows that it really isn't as bad as it looks, likewise (especially for the south east) it looks like it could well be a bit on the warm side. So on the whole, certainly not a bad month. :)

October...
cansips_mslpa_eu_3.thumb.png.65013de8286c1e3417186bf28c065198.png
cansips_apcpna_month_eu_3.thumb.png.7b1c5b667a5620c97ec6786491fb05b5.png

cansips_T2ma_eu_3.thumb.png.72222c40c0c8a3f462c92e88ac235485.png
Now then, this does look like its gonna be an unsettled month, with low pressure, above average rainfall, and average temperatures... Hey, it's October. :pardon:

And finally November...
cansips_mslpa_eu_4.thumb.png.291a1954b29ed8dceda58dcafd9fb095.png

cansips_apcpna_month_eu_4.thumb.png.46720e0296e2a9f44bece7160d9cd8b5.png

cansips_T2ma_eu_4.thumb.png.314d8c5c7f1eb8791beb64c646c323e0.png
Again, November has a deep area of low pressure over most of Europe, and we are on the north western edge of it, as a result it doesn't look too wet at this stage, and again average temperatures.
So make of this what you will, but remember, average temperature in November will be (or hopefully should be) much cooler than they are now.
So on the whole, I've seen a lot worse, and for what its worth, with regards to looking for trends, I really do rate this model from Canada. :D

• Like 1

Posted

Ok... I've just been to have a look at whats being forecast with the CFS daily run.
http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&carte=0&mode=0&run=10

I have to say with regards to October that this chart from the 00z run has stuck out!! :shok:
cfs-0-1896.thumb.png.c537cc3f356b10e780fedf4f4bc542c3.png

Now ok, its for the 21st of October, so that means you need to take it with about this much salt...
gritter-lorry-insurance-300x183.thumb.jpg.d53fb5860fe30095bd3b2f4b372f03dc.jpg

But I wonder if this is one of the reasons why the Cansips model is going for an 'unsettled' looking October?
But from my experience as a total amateur, I find that the daily CFS run is sort of reliable give or take a week or two either way. :laugh:

... Anyone want to buy any battens? Lol :laugh:

Edited by Dangerous55019
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted

Thank you Dangerous, I like the look of October and November. It blows any residual continental warmth away which is what we want to see.

• Like 1

Posted

It has felt like Autumn this week; here's hoping it warms up again with plenty of sun.....at least until end Oct :D.

Any Autumn cold or storms can do one until at least November:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

It has felt like Autumn this week; here's hoping it warms up again with plenty of sun.....at least until end Oct :D.

Any Autumn cold or storms can do one until at least November:D

Well in my experience, if we get storms, its usually mild. If we get cold, there's usually no storms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 8/3/2017 at 18:35, Ice Man 85 said:

I'm not sure. Several Control runs on the GFS show a spike around the 14/15th which worryingly coincides with something the ECM clusters were toying with the other day. All I know is we cannot have settled weather without heat in this country during the summer. Its either settled and too warm or pouring down with comfortable temps. I know which I'd choose.

We can actually. We're one of few places in the world that can experience settled weather in high summer and the temperature still remain between 20-25C. August 2007, June 2008, Summer 2011, June 2015 etc. all had settled spells without high temperatures. Unless of course your idea of heat starts at 20C...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Saw a few halloween decorations for sale in a shop yesterday,wont be long now.:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
12 hours ago, sundog said:

Saw a few halloween decorations for sale in a shop yesterday,wont be long now.:D

Some pubs are advertising for Christmas now too...

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

could be down to 2° in Scotland tonight, single figures also for other areas

Chesham down the road from here is already at 8c. It is a notable frost hollow in winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

7.6c here last night which felt nice indeed.

Usual prone hollows down to 5c overnight across the region.

Drove to one in the Yorkshire Wolds first thing and there was some lovely shallow mist in the valleys :)

thix1.thumb.jpg.6d5ffa50f1a88aa625792acbf055bc15.jpgthix2.thumb.jpg.293fb0f8bb9a67187f15768ab3c1adef.jpgthix3.thumb.jpg.d9c85b7a62b4c9a02afd56c3009d2ad6.jpgthix4.thumb.jpg.2e8848138ba44e55473168bae836e880.jpgthix5.thumb.jpg.86c4aaf7e3eaed3b4cf76bfc9e392117.jpg

Coldest temp I could find overnight from a weather station was Dalby Forest, North York Moors at 4.7c

HURRY UP AUTUMN!!

• Like 3

Posted

5.6C overnight here, but every summer month bar one in the last 10 years has managed a min below 7C. I'll probably be in summer mode until September as August is very much a summer month and looks/feels like it here (even if the forecast is more like September lol). Also daylight is of course still longer than anywhere south of us, and similar to what hot summer places like Rome etc get at the solstice.

I do like some aspects of Autumn, but it's much better after a good summer/August so it feels like proper seasonal change.. based on the outlook, and some longer range seasonal charts, we might just get similar conditions for several months!! :bad:

Posted
15 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

5.6C overnight here, but every summer month bar one in the last 10 years has managed a min below 7C. I'll probably be in summer mode until September as August is very much a summer month and looks/feels like it here (even if the forecast is more like September lol). Also daylight is of course still longer than anywhere south of us, and similar to what hot summer places like Rome etc get at the solstice.

I do like some aspects of Autumn, but it's much better after a good summer/August so it feels like proper seasonal change.. based on the outlook, and some longer range seasonal charts, we might just get similar conditions for several months!! :bad:

Perpetual Autumn! :D And you just know it will be the default pattern through "winter" too.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Late autumn means leaves ,lots and lots of leaves from the 40 odd deciduous trees around my property,tedious time indeed :nonono:

Cut the buggers down then!:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Autumn better do the disappearing act once December arrives, or this may very well happen!

IMG_0883.thumb.JPG.fcaf8fda20662d4e807d883e7bdd7695.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Well one thing certain the nights are drawing in very quickly , :yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Autumn well and truly back this week after a reasonable one day attempt at summer yesterday. 

Posted
46 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Perpetual Autumn! :D And you just know it will be the default pattern through "winter" too.

Haha yep that's what I was thinking, thought of August to December 2015 when the monthly anomalies started off negative and became progressively more positive.