Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn thoughts

Posted

I think I had my first Autumn "prang" today. Ever so subtle, but there's a very very slight mellowness to the light this afternoon.

• Like 3

Posted
On 24 July 2017 at 22:21, Boba fett said:

Just watched BBC news and they had a report about a 1 in 3 chance for extreme wet weather like 2014 this is for late Autumn and in to winter, they mentioned the Super computer predicting this?

what are people's thoughts?

This was what was reported 10 years ago. We had to wait to 2013 for the next decent summer.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 22/07/2017 at 12:09, markyo said:

I suspect you may have missed your vocation in life,not everyone can take such photos....including me! Best season of the year coming up,can't wait:)

On 22/07/2017 at 22:27, seaside 60 said:

As long as it doesn't rain the whole autumn lol..

Your right he does take a lovely photo.

On 23/07/2017 at 12:17, draztik said:

What a charming thread to walk into, with amazing photography. Autumn has always been my favourite season, and the above illustrates why.

Can i just say thank you to everyone for you kind comments about my photos :good:

Anyway, to avoid going off topic, I see that Gavin over on 'Gavs Weather Vids' has just released his second model round up for autumn 2017... Lets just say that there is a VERY strong trend appeared in this video. 

http://www.gavsweathervids.com/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 24/07/2017 at 14:16, Azazel said:

I can't decide if i like Autumn or not.

It's definitely the best season for photography, but I can't decide if I like the sights/colours/smells of Autumn or if they're simply evocative/nostalgic.

Modern winters down here can absolutely do one though. Dire.

Morning @Azazel :)
I see where you are coming from, personally I love the sights, colours and smells of autumn, it is certainly the best time of year for photography and getting out and about and just enjoying... But whatever happens, my advice to to go out and enjoy it :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Anyway, to avoid going off topic, I see that Gavin over on 'Gavs Weather Vids' has just released his second model round up for autumn 2017... Lets just say that there is a VERY strong trend appeared in this video. 

http://www.gavsweathervids.com/

Quick summary basically a warmer and wetter than average Autumn

Posted

Evening everyone :)
Well, I have to say that the weather over the past few days has been (early) autumnal feeling to say the least! Rain over night and early on giving way to that heavy wet dampness on everything (especially the car when you get to it first thing in the morning), along with the strong gusty winds, and then followed by an afternoon of strong sunshine, but not too hot. :good:
But today I noticed a couple of steps towards the coming season...
1. I heard the autumn song of the robin for the first time this year as they mark out there feeding grounds.
2. I saw this tree!! :shok:
Now I know its an Acer, and yes they do have a tendency to go very red or have red tipped leaves, but this does seem early to me... Not complaining mind. :D

... And before anyone says about it being stress through lack of water, that's one thing that hasn't lacked around these parts. Lol :laugh:

IMG_3866.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Autumn started here over 3 weeks ago with an October feel to the weather with all the wind, cloud and rain. A few leaves on some Japanese cherries turning bright red already. Earliest I've seen.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
10 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

already in autumn and will be until next may

There's unsettling signs of a warm up on the cards. How long and how bad it'll get I don't know. This season and all to do with it cannot end soon enough.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Ice Man 85 said:

There's unsettling signs of a warm up on the cards. How long and how bad it'll get I don't know. This season and all to do with it cannot end soon enough.

As far as I'm concerned, the weather can do what it wants as August progresses. Summer is on the wane regardless with nights drawing in. It cannot go back to its prime now. It's like Cold showing for mid February when January was mild and wet- as far as I'm concerned, the best of winter would already have passed in that scenario.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Not an august heat wave:bad:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

early mornings now, starting to feel a bit like autumn, where as didn't before and just after Wimbledon, still warm in the day mind you

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
7 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Bring it on before we have to suffer the winter forums :bad:

Winter is also crap here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
18 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Not an august heat wave:bad:

I'm not sure. Several Control runs on the GFS show a spike around the 14/15th which worryingly coincides with something the ECM clusters were toying with the other day. All I know is we cannot have settled weather without heat in this country during the summer. Its either settled and too warm or pouring down with comfortable temps. I know which I'd choose.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
15 hours ago, Ice Man 85 said:

I'm not sure. Several Control runs on the GFS show a spike around the 14/15th which worryingly coincides with something the ECM clusters were toying with the other day. All I know is we cannot have settled weather without heat in this country during the summer. Its either settled and too warm or pouring down with comfortable temps. I know which I'd choose.

My point exactly, thats why autumn has progressed to be more to my liking these days, as its still often nice and warm but normally with cooler nights and early morning apart from the extremes like last year.

However the one thing I dont like about autumn is the start to much worse weather and all the dark early nights.

Posted

The shortening of the days is quite notable now and I love it especially in the morning. Late spring and early summer disturbs my sleep due to the extremely early sunrise and often the heat. I am looking forward to even darker mornings and better sleep from now on.

Posted

Last month people here posted the Autumn outlook from various seasonal models. Do we have an August update yet?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
33 minutes ago, karyo said:

Last month people here posted the Autumn outlook from various seasonal models. Do we have an August update yet?

Not as yet. This is the link I use:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/ens-mean

Last updated on the 11th of July, so I suppose it will be around about the same date in August.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Not as yet. This is the link I use:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/ens-mean

Last updated on the 11th of July, so I suppose it will be around about the same date in August.

Thanks Yarmy. The 2 m temperature map gives me a nauseating feeling with all the orange and the red.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
8 minutes ago, karyo said:

Thanks Yarmy. The 2 m temperature map gives me a nauseating feeling with all the orange and the red.

If that makes you feel ill, don't look at the 500hPa anomaly for months 4-6. :shok: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nice to see the 'tinge' starting round these parts. Not long now ☺

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

If that makes you feel ill, don't look at the 500hPa anomaly for months 4-6. :shok: 

Horrid stuff!

Back to the 2 m temperatures, what strikes me the most is that at least 80% of the planet is shown as above average. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
23 minutes ago, karyo said:

Horrid stuff!

Back to the 2 m temperatures, what strikes me the most is that at least 80% of the planet is shown as above average. 

At least climate change won't happen in Trumpton,so we should be ok......