Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn thoughts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
3 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

I'll have an October 1987, a December 2010 and a large Fanta please.

Even I'm not that extreme lol. Snow would be welcome if this damn country could cope with it. Morons empty the shops as soon as they see a flake.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
12 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Even I'm not that extreme lol. Snow would be welcome if this damn country could cope with it. Morons empty the shops as soon as they see a flake.

why cant the UK cope? always find this a strange comment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

why cant the UK cope? always find this a strange comment.

Where to start?

Schools close

Taxis won't drive in it

Buses are taken off

Airports are crippled with it

Trains don't run

morons raid the shops as soon as the see a flake of snow

Pretty much it really.

Posted
Just now, Ice Man 85 said:

Where to start?

Schools close

Taxis won't drive in it

Buses are taken off

Trains don't run

Pretty much it really.

and you dont think a lot of this doesn't happen elsewhere ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, Ice Man 85 said:

Where to start?

Schools close

Taxis won't drive in it

Buses are taken off

Trains don't run

Pretty much it really.

Can't disagree with the above just a few CM of snow and this country can grind to a halt laughable really

Posted
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

and you dont think a lot of this doesn't happen elsewhere ?

I suppose it could, but places like canada and moscow don't grind to a halt.

Posted
18 hours ago, Ice Man 85 said:

I suppose it could, but places like canada and moscow don't grind to a halt.

yes they do and i should know i live in Canada

Posted
52 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

yes they do and i should know i live in Canada

I have visited Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium and Hungary during snowy spells and I didn't see any serious disruption in services.

Also, people appeared to be much more cool about it than here. In the Netherlands in particular, there were still people cycling.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, karyo said:

I have visited Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium and Hungary during snowy spells and I didn't see any serious disruption in services.

Also, people appeared to be much more cool about it than here. In the Netherlands in particular, there were still people cycling.

depends when those spells are...general rule of thumb here..when the snow first starts to fly in October there will be a bit of chaos for a couple days whilst people revert back to winter mode..then its not an issue thereafter...trouble is the UK never really gets beyond that 2-3 day threshold when it becomes the norm and everybody readjusts 

Posted
16 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

depends when those spells are...general rule of thumb here..when the snow first starts to fly in October there will be a bit of chaos for a couple days whilst people revert back to winter mode..then its not an issue thereafter...trouble is the UK never really gets beyond that 2-3 day threshold when it becomes the norm and everybody readjusts 

Yes, if it happened more often or for longer periods perhaps there wouldn't be so much mayhem.

Having said that we had lengthy snowy spells in the winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11 and I did not notice much improvement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Just been out with the hound (yes I know it 05.00 in the morning), but I have to say how much noticeably darker it is this week when compared to this time last week! ... And yes I know it's cloudier as well... Just another sign of the small changes on the run towards autumn  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

ahhh my favorite thread of the year ! I always start to think about the approaching Autumn around now. I get married on the 25th November this year so really hoping for a lovely dry , crisp day ! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
4 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Just been out with the hound (yes I know it 05.00 in the morning), but I have to say how much noticeably darker it is this week when compared to this time last week! ... And yes I know it's cloudier as well... Just another sign of the small changes on the run towards autumn  :D

We have only lost 10 mins roughly in the mornings.

However that rainy tues eve last week, it was amazing how dark it got early as its always been sunny or bright down here in recent weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

In terms of Autumn it's probably worth saying that the teleconnection with the highest amplitude (and therefore potentially largest effect) may be the -QBO which is strengthening in the lower stratosphere rather rapidly. With the PDO and ENSO pattern somewhat neutral/weakly warm it's interesting to ponder what a strong -QBO signal means.

Looking at Q4 periods with a -QBO that was strengthening and at least month with a -1 deviation since 1980..

2005 (peaked in Q4)

Not a large sample since i imposed a few restrictions but at any rate 05 and 09 are not bad solar matches and 05 and 14 are not bad ENSO matches too. 

1111111111111.thumb.png.899247e43a7bd89c33dac2c79eca0415.png

Strong blocking signal with the trough near the UK moving progressively east over the period (blocking signal is strongest in Oct and Dec). 

September sees a polar opposite with a strong Azores Ridge over the UK and raging +AO, so probably quite warm. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Heat + Thunder Winter: Cold

Another warm Autumn if those examples are true.

The Winters interestingly were cooler however and I'd rather sacrifice Autumn for Winter imo

Posted

Latest CFS 6 month look ahead from Gav's Weather Vids.  November and December look absolutely ghastly and as Gavin P says, shades of 2015!  A long way off but this model needs to quickly back away from this scenario over the next few months if you want it cold!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Autumn can be a beautiful season in this country. My perfect Autumn would be a warm and sunny September, the first storms of the season in October but still some fine warm weather. For Halloween and Bonfire Night week, cold, crisp and clear conditions with frosts before some more mixed weather  in November, some storms but also ridges of high pressure with frost and fog.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Autumn can be a beautiful season in this country. My perfect Autumn would be a warm and sunny September, the first storms of the season in October but still some fine warm weather. For Halloween and Bonfire Night week, cold, crisp and clear conditions with frosts before some more mixed weather  in November, some storms but also ridges of high pressure with frost and fog.

That sounds like utopia to me,one could not ask for more. A proper season for a change:)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I wouldn't say no to an October like 1992 or 1993. Both were chilly with loads of frost, I still remember the crisp frozen leaves under foot, the frost was almost like snow on them. Those Octobers were colder than most Winter months we get these days!

• Like 4

Posted

Always look forward to September as its been good for settled weather. 2015 had a marvellous last week. With mist patches to start followed by long sunny days. In 2015 and 2016 it was the second sunniest month of the year between 8am-8pm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Heat + Thunder Winter: Cold
7 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Give me a hot September with plenty of lightening storms. October can start off with a 2011 hot spell before turning cooler and fresher with some crisp Autumn sunshine. November can then start off by blowing a few hoolies before turning bitterly cold and snowy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 15/07/2017 at 11:28, summer blizzard said:

In terms of Autumn it's probably worth saying that the teleconnection with the highest amplitude (and therefore potentially largest effect) may be the -QBO which is strengthening in the lower stratosphere rather rapidly. With the PDO and ENSO pattern somewhat neutral/weakly warm it's interesting to ponder what a strong -QBO signal means.

Looking at Q4 periods with a -QBO that was strengthening and at least month with a -1 deviation since 1980..

2005 (peaked in Q4)

Not a large sample since i imposed a few restrictions but at any rate 05 and 09 are not bad solar matches and 05 and 14 are not bad ENSO matches too. 

1111111111111.thumb.png.899247e43a7bd89c33dac2c79eca0415.png

Strong blocking signal with the trough near the UK moving progressively east over the period (blocking signal is strongest in Oct and Dec). 

September sees a polar opposite with a strong Azores Ridge over the UK and raging +AO, so probably quite warm. 

Evening @summer blizzard:)
2014 was a lovely autumn around these parts, and I distinctly remember that in August (yes I know that's a summer month) that once it had gone 18.00 in the evening, a noticeable cooling freshness descended... It was like autumn reaching out... And as I say, the autumn that followed was lovely :D 
2009 was also pleasant autumn around these parts as well, as was 2005 ... BANK! :good:

7 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Evening @stainesbloke :)
Seconded, thirded and fourthed with everthing you've said there. :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
30 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Evening @summer blizzard:)
2014 was a lovely autumn around these parts, and I distinctly remember that in August (yes I know that's a summer month) that once it had gone 18.00 in the evening, a noticeable cooling freshness descended... It was like autumn reaching out...

Before, summer bit back again in September haha, almost as punishment. If only September had occurred in August that year and the summer would have been a memorable one (more so than it is already given more recent summers), and how much more autumnal is would have been had August been in September. Alas, Bertha ruined August, and Cristobal rewarded September.

Most memorable for me of that autumn (autumn proper that is) was the convective spell in the first half of October, great cloudscapes that mirrored more summer; then November brought about quite a lot of fog after the unsettled first half, which was great for photos. Above all, I'd like more frost this autumn - something similar to last November but with a few more gales. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

What happened to the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.

What happened to foggy autumns, having said that last autumn was a bit more like this. 

Days of calm frosty weather in  the late autumn were always nice.

• Like 3