Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn thoughts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Feels autumnal today, currently 11.3c at 13.00hrs, moderate rain and a light north-easterly.

As a amateur weather photographer Autumn is by far my favourite month, the mists return to the valleys with the cooler nights along with the spectacular ranger of colours nature provides us with.

BRING IT ON!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

As somebody who appreciates nearly all weather types, I'm hoping for a continuation of warm into September (2004, 2005, 2012 and 2016 are examples) before a cool down around the Equinox, the time I feel Autumn properly starts to be felt here in the south. Then I'd quite like a varied but cool October like 2012 or 2008, followed by a colder version in November. Indeed, I think 2005 is one of my favourites - stormy with thunder twice in the first third, a glorious sunny frosty and foggy spell with snow at the end.

Until then though, my thoughts are firmly on summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
12 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Not meant to be rude but on reading your posts, I sort of get the impression that you buy clothing and shoes every week.

You must have a big house in which to keep it in lol or just a wardrobe room. :D

Ah -ha. You see every season I detox my wardrobe, get rid of the tat and then re-fresh. For example, I took 3 bin bags of stuffs to the clothing Bank. Fashion is my hobby, has been for years. 

I see weather and Fashion as inter-changeable, My love of weather helps me choose what to wear for the day, I'm certainly not the mum caught out in flip flops in the pouring rain that's for sure.

Autumn is an exciting time for us fashion types. :D

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Lettucing Gutted said:

I know I'll almost certainly never see a proper chiller of an autumn like 1919 or even 1993 ever again 

Oh, I don't know about that.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
12 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Woohoo- love autumn.

Don't think the thread is that early and I don't think that the summer lovers can moan, given the weather we've had so far this summer. They must be satisfied with what they've seen so far, surely.

You jest of course.  A couple of reasonably warm days in June with the rest being a cloudfest with any sunshine restricted to the late evening when the clouds eventually melted away.  Bear in mind my observation is subjective. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

You could argue that it's still LAST Autumn up here in West Scotland!!!:wallbash:

• Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Woohoo- love autumn.

Don't think the thread is that early and I don't think that the summer lovers can moan, given the weather we've had so far this summer. They must be satisfied with what they've seen so far, surely.

They moan at the first drop of rain and cooler blip! I saw plenty of complaining posts today on facebook because it is raining and it shouldn’t be as it is July.

A fb friend stated how nice it was during his visit to Madrid last week (37c). Obviously those people will never be happy in the UK even with the rising trend in temperatures.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

It would be nice to have some proper storms this Autumn,  A real traditional one would be good for the lead up to Winter ☺

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Anyone seen the latest GLOSEA?

It's quite ugly really. +NAO as far out as it goes

2cat_20170701_mslp_months24_global_deter

2cat_20170701_mslp_months35_global_deter

2cat_20170701_mslp_months46_global_deter

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Better to get that out of the way in Autumn and hope it doesn't last through winter too. Nothing is more grim than a cool Autumn (especially November) and then a switch to above average +NAO setup come December.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, reef said:

Better to get that out of the way in Autumn and hope it doesn't last through winter too. Nothing is more grim than a cool Autumn (especially November) and then a switch to above average +NAO setup come December.

True but we say that every year and we end up with variations of mild throughout.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
45 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Depends really, August and September look pretty good for summer weather lasting well into the first half of Autumn. October suggests a quite stormy month with strong low heights to our north west. Cold weather can appear in November, no point it coming before this as all you get is cold rain.

Posted
10 minutes ago, reef said:

Trouble is, those charts show the positive NAO increasing the closer we get to winter.  Obviously, too far out to take seriously, but does not look good from that July update.  

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Depends really, August and September look pretty good for summer weather lasting well into the first half of Autumn. October suggests a quite stormy month with strong low heights to our north west. Cold weather can appear in November, no point it coming before this as all you get is cold rain.

I know this is open to debate, but summer weather lasting through September has really not boded well for the following winter if you like it cold, particularly during the last 20 or so years.  Again, a bad sign IMHO.

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

So, how is the Southern Hemisphere responding to the drivers that will in all probability be in place come the end of the Autumn ?

5964f0797e1e2_aao.sprd2(2).thumb.jpg.3154c23da6df3406699204e4e8a270b2.jpgtime_pres_HGT_ANOM_ALL_SH_2017.thumb.jpg.c902005bd9752dcb20a060b9ed6aaf64.jpg5964f07ab419e_compday.dgvUvFom8J(2).thumb.jpg.4b7b305c5a26f726fc3cfe3e8c35373c.jpg

Hmm, look away now stuff for cold prospects early doors.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
57 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Gonna run out of letters in the alphabet for named storms if that last one comes off.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

So, how is the Southern Hemisphere responding to the drivers that will in all probability be in place come the end of the Autumn ?

5964f0797e1e2_aao.sprd2(2).thumb.jpg.3154c23da6df3406699204e4e8a270b2.jpgtime_pres_HGT_ANOM_ALL_SH_2017.thumb.jpg.c902005bd9752dcb20a060b9ed6aaf64.jpg5964f07ab419e_compday.dgvUvFom8J(2).thumb.jpg.4b7b305c5a26f726fc3cfe3e8c35373c.jpg

Hmm, look away now stuff for cold prospects early doors.

Yep I think another dud is on the way sadly.

Don't know what we have to do just lately to

a) get a decent thunderstorm

or

b) get a decent snowy spell of weather

Posted
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yep I think another dud is on the way sadly.

Don't know what we have to do just lately to

a) get a decent thunderstorm

or

b) get a decent snowy spell of weather

I need to book that holiday to Canada for January 2018!!  It will be five years next winter since I've witnessed a decent snowfall :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can we keep this Autumn related please, cheers.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Don said:

I need to book that holiday to Canada for January 2018!!  It will be five years next winter since I've witnessed a decent snowfall :(

Yes, starting to get ridiculous. 

Last decent snowfall was Jan 2013 here.

Even in the late 90's and 2000's I can't remember 5 years passing where there wasn't a covering of snow at some point.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Autumn is the best season by far in this part of the world and would wager maybe one of the best seasons anywhere in the world in my experience..probably only 5 weeks until the tress begin to turn and then its usually followed by 6 weeks of warm sunshine and cool nights and no rain..clear and crisp would sum it up...the down side is that it is followed by 6 months of cold, snow and mostly below freezing temperatures :bad: