Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn thoughts

Posted

Up at my normal 4:30am start today - no sunrise !! Lights on in the kitchen, here we go ........#NearlyAutumn

Conkers swelling, crab apples abound, blackberries on the turn, a bumper crop of sloes, hawthorn berries tinged red, damsons looking bountiful and elderberry everywhere.

Technically, it's still 'High Summer', but Autumn's all around us if you know where to look.

Anyone seen any credible Long Range Forecasts yet?

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Sadly we have another month or so to go before we can be safe from the intolerable warm nights and humidity that summer can bring.

As for what Autumn can bring i suspect that we'll see a scaled down version of last year with a relatively warm September and a relatively cool November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, summer blizzard said:

Sadly we have another month or so to go before we can be safe from the intolerable warm nights and humidity that summer can bring.

As for what Autumn can bring i suspect that we'll see a scaled down version of last year with a relatively warm September and a relatively cool November.

I think a month is optimistic, remember the September hot spell last year?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I think a month is optimistic, remember the September hot spell last year?

Oh I do it was absolutely stunning I was in London right when it hit low 30s by day and still warm after dark

Short sleeve shirt and shorts could be worn from morning to night

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Oh I do it was absolutely stunning I was in London right when it hit low 30s by day and still warm after dark

Short sleeve shirt and shorts could be worn from morning to night

I had a dentist appointment in a sweltering surgery. That was my overriding memory of that spell of unnecessary warmth.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
3 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Up at my normal 4:30am start today - no sunrise !! Lights on in the kitchen, here we go ........#NearlyAutumn

Conkers swelling, crab apples abound, blackberries on the turn, a bumper crop of sloes, hawthorn berries tinged red, damsons looking bountiful and elderberry everywhere.

Technically, it's still 'High Summer', but Autumn's all around us if you know where to look.

Anyone seen any credible Long Range Forecasts yet?

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

See your conkers trees up there are hammered with the virus, ours down here look worse almost autumn like.

Have half a dozen or so couple hundred yards away and looked at them properly this morning and they are struggling big time with the virus.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.

We need something to look forward to.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Never too early for autumn and winter threads :)

• Like 7

Posted
3 hours ago, 40*C said:

Id say its a far too early for an Autumn thread.  I remember the Spring discussion thread was closed when somebody opened one in January?   

Seasonal threads are usually opened on the second week of the second month of the preceding season, so although it feels early, its actually isn't.

The spring one was closed temporarily for a couple of weeks as someone opened it on 3rd January.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Woohoo- love autumn.

Don't think the thread is that early and I don't think that the summer lovers can moan, given the weather we've had so far this summer. They must be satisfied with what they've seen so far, surely.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Woohoo- love autumn.

Don't think the thread is that early and I don't think that the summer lovers can moan, given the weather we've had so far this summer. They must be satisfied with what they've seen so far, surely.

You'd think so, but most of them whinge if it falls below 20c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
5 hours ago, reef said:

Seasonal threads are usually opened on the second week of the second month of the preceding season, so although it feels early, its actually isn't.

The spring one was closed temporarily for a couple of weeks as someone opened it on 3rd January.

Guilty M'lud... That was me, because I committed the cardinal sin of throwing the towel in on that  snowless and (virtually) stormless bore fest that was last winter, and deep down I wanted get back to this time of year when we run into autumn once again, with its wonderful colours and smells that only come at this time of year. :D

I have learnt my lesson... I hope. :laugh:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

YAY!! The autumn thread!! Autumn is my favourite time of year :yahoo:

Right I've absolutely no idea what 2017 will give us this autumn, so this is just purely hope-casting...

I'm hoping for a pleasant and sunny September, with lots of cool nights and misty mornings and hopefully a few last remaining summer thunderstorms, followed by an October that continues the cooling trend, and allows the misty mornings to slowly start developing into a foggy day or two about the middle of the month, before giving way to those misty start and end sunny days with that misty smokey golden haze to the air especially on the run up to Halloween. As the light in September and October is like no other time of the year, especially with the trees being on the turn. :rolleyes:
As for November, once the glory of the autumn colours are over, I hope we see a few big wind storms, as I does enjoy wrapping up and pulling my boots on for a nice long walk on a good ole blustery, late autumn day... Interspersed with many more misty mornings and evenings with that beautiful light that only a low sun in the sky can bring. :rolleyes:

Oh I'm getting all misty and dewy eyed just thinking about it. :laugh:

Whatever happens I just hope it doesn't turn into a mild, dull, grey, cloudy borefest like 2011 and 2015.

And thank you @Turnedoutniceagain for starting this thread and getting my Tuesday off to a happy start. :good:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I love Autumn. 

I don't understand why folk have to bicker about when a thread appears or just moan about said users of thread. There are plenty threads for the weather folk to post their charts in and show off.

Autumn for me is the best time of year, Birthdays, anniversaries, Halloween, then the run up to crimbo. September can be just as warm as Summer these days too. 

I expect days of cloud and wind but that just means I have purpose to buy winter stuff as summer stuffs are boring me - although I did get a surprise delivery from hubs as it's not a good week this week for us but anyway, bring on the jumpers and BOOTS!:D:D

Spoiler

:good:

• Like 3

20 hours ago, seaside 60 said:

See your conkers trees up there are hammered with the virus, ours down here look worse almost autumn like.

Have half a dozen or so couple hundred yards away and looked at them properly this morning and they are struggling big time with the virus.

Not virus, it's the Horse Chestnut leaf miner - the caterpillars of a moth which live in and eat the inside of the leaves. First spotted in Wimbledon in 2002, it has now spread over most of England and Wales and has been spotted in Scotland. Discovered as recently as 1985 in Greece and described as a new species in 1986, where was it before then? Strange, because the damage they cause appears devastating when seen for the first time, but apparently does not seem to cause the trees too much harm - though, to bring things back to the weather, how the trees will respond under our different climatic conditions is unknown and is being monitored.

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/horsechestnutleafminer

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
57 minutes ago, Dami said:

I love Autumn. 

I don't understand why folk have to bicker about when a thread appears or just moan about said users of thread. There are plenty threads for the weather folk to post their charts in and show off.

Autumn for me is the best time of year, Birthdays, anniversaries, Halloween, then the run up to crimbo. September can be just as warm as Summer these days too. 

I expect days of cloud and wind but that just means I have purpose to buy winter stuff as summer stuffs are boring me - although I did get a surprise delivery from hubs as it's not a good week this week for us but anyway, bring on the jumpers and BOOTS!:D:D

Reveal hidden contents

Bring on the shorts and flip flops more like!

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, Scorcher said:

This is like discussing spring in early January. I'm sure I wouldn't be popular on this site if I did that.

We usually discuss the upcoming season half way through the preceding one. 

• Like 2

Posted

I both love and hate Autumn.

The impending sense of doom as winter draws closer and the rapidly shortening days fill my heart with sadness.

On the other hand, I do love the colours and the smells.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I'm an autumn baby.

Autumn till I die:D

The legs aren't up to shorts and flip flops give me cramp. 

Edited by Dami
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

I know I'll almost certainly never see a proper chiller of an autumn like 1919 or even 1993 ever again but I would love a combination of modestly cool September 2015, modestly October 2003 and modestly cold November 2016.  Even in the early stages of this terrible warming era that still isn't too much to ask for surely?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
5 hours ago, Dami said:

I love Autumn. 

Reveal hidden contents

Not meant to be rude but on reading your posts, I sort of get the impression that you buy clothing and shoes every week.

You must have a big house in which to keep it in lol or just a wardrobe room. :D

• Like 2