Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
32 minutes ago, cheese said:

Same as last time - too much cloud preventing convection from kicking off. It seems like every time there is a possibility for severe storms, we have way more cloud than forecast. We are cursed.

The cell over north wales seems to be heading our way, Im hopeful for this evening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
3 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

According to this BBC weather forecast, some storms/showers should be breaking out soon over some parts of the Midlands!

IMG_0661.JPG.3c8d9e2e2b54a98a23cd73492de1a82a.JPG

Not sure about that, although the cloud cover here has become more patchy and looks a little threatening! Hard to tell whether it's just Stratus cloud or if there is any embedded convection going on

even looking at that map it's places north of Birmingham that appear to have any chance and I'm not so confident that I'd put a wager on it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I wonder if Chris R has shot down the A55 to intercept the storm over NE Wales? 

I wish I had lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Looks like parts of Lancashire are in for a hammering shortly. I think that cell will be it but it does look impressive. 

Decent hail core by the look of it

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
4 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

According to this BBC weather forecast, some storms/showers should be breaking out soon over some parts of the Midlands!

Not sure about that, although the cloud cover here has become more patchy and looks a little threatening! Hard to tell whether it's just Stratus cloud or if there is any embedded convection going on

The latest forecast on the BBC Midlands Facebook page has admitted that they overestimated the likelihood of thunderstorms and it just looks like patchy rain tonight - nothing exciting whatsoever about that. I didn't really see any thunderstorms on the radar, maybe only in the far North. It's just a huge let-down that our area sucks so far this year for thunderstorms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Those storms are just going to miss here.. frustrated does not come close.. but it's pretty normal for us to miss them. Maybe next year (again)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
1 minute ago, Gordon Webb said:

even looking at that map it's places north of Birmingham that appear to have any chance and I'm not so confident that I'd put a wager on it

I admit I'm not feeling that confident either

Posted

Would be in Southport on the beach by now If I was up there, or Morecombe Bay for the next 30 mins

Lots of Lightning with it as well

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
16 minutes ago, Devon donut said:

It's very strange out at present, the gulls are going crazy. The intense cell to your west does seem to be tracking East slowly

Afternoon @Devon donut:)

The heaviest rain is currently less than ten miles to my west...

And by the looks of it electrically it's getting closer! :bomb::D

Although sadly I've heard no thunder as yet.

IMG_3352.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Looks like Rhyl is getting a good soaking. Always thought it could do with a bit of a wash!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Does help if I put the lightning chart up as well! Lol :doh:

IMG_3353.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
6 minutes ago, xSnow said:

The latest forecast on the BBC Midlands Facebook page has admitted that they overestimated the likelihood of thunderstorms and it just looks like patchy rain tonight - nothing exciting whatsoever about that. I didn't really see any thunderstorms on the radar, maybe only in the far North. It's just a huge let-down that our area sucks so far this year for thunderstorms.

Yeah, it's a real shame really. :/

It doesn't even feel all that warm out there (although doesn't feel really cool either). Really does seem to be such a challenge to get any decent bangers to explode over us this year. 

Just have to hope late July, August or September will come to our rescue!

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Temp dropped to 24c now and humidity gone up to 62, it's gone quite dark here, great start to my long weekend off:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It really does look like coastal NW England is going to get a pummelling from that storm. Expanding northwards too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just watching back through my chase footage from last night and can see that the severe storm I encountered was in a little village called Balsham. I then chased the storm into the town of Newmarket. Looking back at the radars for the time I was there I can clearly see why things were so intense for a while with hailstones the size of 50p. A very localised but intense cell at the SW edge of the MCV. I then chased it into Newmarket.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
18 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

latest from the BBC weather website has an update with none of that activity showing

cannot post the image so I'll link to the site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167

edit - ignore the crap beneath this

0313.png

Edited by Gordon Webb
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm hoping it'll develop a further south. It's so dark here we're having to put our lights on indoors!

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Just heard a distant rumble as other have said I think Southport/Formby going to get the best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
2 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Yeah, it's a real shame really. :/

It doesn't even feel all that warm out there (although doesn't feel really cool either). Really does seem to be such a challenge to get any decent bangers to explode over us this year. 

Just have to hope late July, August or September will come to our rescue!

Agreed, it's been a pretty lame year so far with no snow and no storms. I think August might deliver but I'm not confident this month for some reason, the storm shield is stronger than ever before! Hopefully it will eventually move West or East as they have had far more storms this year. :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think Merseyside is in the firing line for Big thunderstorms and I also think fresh storms will develop across other parts of central northern england which will then spread north through scotland..we can't rule out storms breaking out in other areas too.

• Like 1