Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
Just now, TJS1998Tom said:

I'm hoping we get some heat lightning with this storm in the South atm as we did back in 2015. Just depends on whether it'll get close enough

not holding out much hope, nothing in the forecast for here over the next 24hrs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Happy to report I am watching lighting be it a few mins in between. Am a happy camper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some very angry skies here. Had an intense burst of tropical intensity rain. There's loads of lightning in the northern horizon but very faint thunder. Bit of a gust front went through and some very fast updraughts, not seen scud move that quickly for years. Channel looks tasty! 

IMG_4470.JPG

IMG_4472.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Popcorn channel...look at it go and is not going to the mainland,this could be the best event for a long time:D

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, samadamsuk said:

Is it just me or do other people's brains create false flashes when staring at a dark sky waiting for lightning? 

All the time, i have to do it with the radio going.

Posted

Profound statement/question of the night. Why is it we love this build up and the distant view of a storm...me, I think I first was fascinated oddly enough at an early age...

Watch 1:18 in, close encounters of the third kind....I was 4... I was fascinated...weird in a way, isn't it and the clouds as the ufo approaches the house..

tell me this video doesn't resonate with you...

Edited by sendandreturn

Posted
Just now, sparky1972 said:

not holding out much hope, nothing in the forecast for here over the next 24hrs

Skellingthorpe shows light rain from 2-4am whether it is just light rain or they're underplaying it. Keeping an eye on it atm. Hopefully it wont be another bust for us. All it needs for us it to move further North : P

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Some very angry skies here. Had an intense burst of tropical intensity rain. There's loads of lightning in the northern horizon but very faint thunder. Bit of a gust front went through and some very fast updraughts, not seen scud move that quickly for years. Channel looks tasty! 

IMG_4470.JPG

IMG_4472.JPG

Looks surface based - nice

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

OH.....MY......*£^&$JD God!!!  

Never have I seen anything like what I just saw in south Bucks.....Chalfont area! 

Just 30 mins ago I was saying this storm is just distant flashes and moderate rain....holy cow while it still flashes away right outside my window, I will explain what just happened....

So I was just about to give up for the night when the wind cranked up outside; we have two huge fir/spruce trees across the road and they started swaying side to side more and more drastically....suddenly the wind *really* was gusty I mean 50, 60MPH and the cloud above was illuminated and it looked like a US-style wall cloud and it was moving directly overhead, I could've sworn something was rotating up there and that's the most I've ever thought there was going to be a tornado....mad. I honestly have never seen anything like it in living in this house over 20 years now....the lightning suddenly ramped up overhead too and the rain was proper downpour. It lasted all but 5-10 mins but I got 3 mins footage on my Iphone, whether that's any good or not I'll find out soon! 

That was intense! 

Awesome! Get the footage up toutes-suite

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
2 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

Never have I seen anything like what I just saw in south Bucks.....Chalfont area! 

Just 30 mins ago I was saying this storm is just distant flashes and moderate rain....holy cow while it still flashes away right outside my window, I will explain what just happened....

So I was just about to give up for the night when the wind cranked up outside; we have two huge fir/spruce trees across the road and they started swaying side to side more and more drastically....suddenly the wind *really* was gusty I mean 50, 60MPH and the cloud above was illuminated and it looked like a US-style wall cloud and it was moving directly overhead, I could've sworn something was rotating up there and that's the most I've ever thought there was going to be a tornado....mad. I honestly have never seen anything like it in living in this house over 20 years now....the lightning suddenly ramped up overhead too and the rain was proper downpour. It lasted all but 5-10 mins but I got 3 mins footage on my Iphone, whether that's any good or not I'll find out soon! 

That was intense! 

Always thought the Iphones were pretty good , oh you meant the footage tsk tsk silly me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Ian ferguson on twitter about 15 mins ago . Saying ukmo worried about roatation on that storm west of London . Serious stuff

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Right then, I'm going to sleep/listen to LBC - if a stonker of a thunderstorm wakes me up in the night, it'll be great. Otherwise, who gives a sheet!:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

I have a very heavy shower overhead now. Lightning still visible from the storm north west of london

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Plenty of flashing and banging going on tonight.:D

DFCpV-zXoAAAR6p.jpg

No there isn't :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

That was intense! 

Sounds like what happened here when the main part of the MCS came over on the 31st of May. Thinking it may be a role cloud, although I couldn't see what the sky was doing on that day, I'd wager it looked similar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Very slight movement north north east if you look at the older cells 

What you reckon 'our' chances are tonight Surrey? I haven't really looked, had a nap to hope to catch a huge storm or three. :D

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stozzy said:

Ian ferguson on twitter about 15 mins ago . Saying ukmo worried about roatation on that storm west of London . Serious stuff

Reckon somewhere soon its going to go bang big style if thats the case, maybe some tornadic activity? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Do u think I will have a chance here in Bridlington later on ??