Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Supacell

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

It's not very intense and moving very slowly but seems to be gradually reaching the new forest. 

1 minute ago, TropicThunder said:

Think I might hop in the car and head towards Ringwood at this rate. Picket Post would probably be a good vantage point.

Seems to be heading towards you and away from Bournemouth now. 

2 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

I can see the gap opening up for Bristol storm shield is up and ready!

Became apparent quite early on mate.  Happens a lot of times in recent years.

Hopefully something can "close" that gap soon.

2 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Hot off the press from the family, RNAS Culdrose helicopter has been dispatched to Coverack, the caravan made it out of the flood okay but the force of the water moved a car-wheel from 3-other caravans away right under it. Sirens are blaring all the time and they had to use buckets for a short while as the hail was so intense it blocked them closing the skylight fully.

Yikes! Hope your family, and indeed everyone else, are OK!

5 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

I can see the gap opening up for Bristol storm shield is up and ready!

I am finding these storms difficult to follow - but for us I think we should be keeping an eye on what's currently over Exeter.

Edited by Chris K

6 minutes ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

Thank you . I'll go and look that  up and what it means . But grateful for your reply . 

It's a measure of how much heat and moisture is in the air.

Sky looking plenty thundery enough despite the Bristol/N. Somerset gap.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, robillustrates said:

It's not very intense and moving very slowly but seems to be gradually reaching the new forest. 

Seems to be heading towards you and away from Bournemouth now. 

Yes second thoughts it is suddenly looking very ominous just to my south, think I'll stay put!

The winds have seriously picked up here in sutton. Will be interesting to see if anything intensifies 

Just now, Jcweather said:

Yikes! Hope your family, and indeed everyone else, are OK!

They're all okay, aside from field-flooding and minimal damage with debris in the shallow flood-water they're up the hill a 20-min walk away from Coverack so haven't gotten the full impact of the storm.

new strikes on the south coast

1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Sky looking plenty thundery enough despite the Bristol/N. Somerset gap.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Watch it all fire off after it has drifted past us :laugh:

Screen shot from the latest BBC forecast at 3am, looks like more organised storms will head Eastwards

BBC.png

BBC 2.png

25 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Watch to the south and east of the IOW over the next 30mins. Will start to show signs of life

And 25 minutes later as if by magic some fresh strikes to the east of the IOW :bomb:

8 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Hot off the press from the family, RNAS Culdrose helicopter has been dispatched to Coverack, the caravan made it out of the flood okay but the force of the water moved a car-wheel from 3-other caravans away right under it. Sirens are blaring all the time and they had to use buckets for a short while as the hail was so intense it blocked them closing the skylight fully.

glad they're fine

Not as much lightning at the moment but very heavy rain falling. 

Lovely cloud formations overhead here

the rain seems to be flaring up on the radar quite rapidly now in the south, some of it looks very heavy too. 

6 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

I can see this Bournemouth/coastal cell being purely rain by the time it gets to Reading. 

Well there could be some surprise inland intensification and uplifting, but I reckon you're right. Fizzling out instead of intensifying seems to be the trend.

Unfortunately, not much came of it here.

20170718_185125-01.thumb.jpeg.0f6dedf7ae4828c4bf677c7dfe393597.jpeg

Just now, john w said:

Well there could be some surprise inland intensification and uplifting, but I reckon you're right. Fizzling out instead of intensifying seems to be the trend.

It feels ominous, though less humid than earlier and outside looks potentially promising but if there is any, it will be few and far between as my current guess, hopefully wrong though. 

Woop Woop

Sky around here is looking angry!!!! Wind has even dropped weirdly.. Didn't expect that with a low so close.

Sferics seem to be picking up now we have more landfall. That stuff out the SW will be very interesting when it hits land. I expect quite a lot of build when it happens!

Bring on midnight!  All looking so good still. (Apart from people moaning that its all died back! --- Its pretty much expected.)

Seem to be getting some midlevel convection now.

Edited by Lynxus