Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Very stable looking skies in London at the moment 

IMG_1218.JPG

Some signs of instability in Sutton at the moment. Wouldn't worry this early in the day. when we had the storms a couple of years ago it was crystal clear until 7pm then we had accas streaming up. It finally broke around 11pm. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap not bad eh ? Am well chuffed with this

That was amazing. The closest to lightning i've ever been....this was Warlingham area (Just oustide Croydon)...    

What a night it was, one of the best storms I have ever seen, maybe even better than July 3rd 2015! I some many great pictures on here today, so I thought I would share some of mine.  

Posted Images

are there signs now that these storms may merge in the last 30 mins? some storms popping up around the Channel islands locale.

596dfe6944822_1250pm.thumb.JPG.c2dc8cc3c9e7da4ac9b0cca2efec29b5.JPG596dfe6a8662d_1315pm.thumb.JPG.be45cf6447467f5fdf15a4f49e6a19d6.JPG

12:15 and 13:15 respectively

Edited by karlos1983

Ignore the storms in the channel if you are in the south east, if they make it its a bonus, we should expect stuff to pop up later in the evening hopefully. 

This applies to SW too, but you are getting a slice of cake early (we haven't lit the candles  yet!!! 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Ignore the storms in the channel if you are in the south east, if they make it its a bonus, we should expect stuff to pop up later in the evening hopefully. 

This applies to SW too, but you are getting a slice of cake early (we haven't lit the candles  yet!!! 

Ah good to know - was having a very mild panic (I'm at work in Kent at the mo)

Wow! Big bolt of lighting at the top of the field about 2km away. Loud booming thunder as well.  Rain has started to pick up here as well. 

Not seen anything like this for a long old while!

• Like 4

Again, studying the fax charts and Sat images, this is where (very roughly) I think the surface troughs currently sit (red lines on sat image). Storms will initiate along them. Not necessarily all the way across mind.

Untitled4.thumb.png.4b0dd057e7037c1dea1f95372d0e74bb.png

Untitled1.thumb.png.476b87194b3510881d6a3c6dd270e821.png

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

Wow! Big bolt of lighting at the top of the field about 2km away. Loud booming thunder as well.  Rain has started to pick up here as well. 

Not seen anything like this for a long old while!

Kent needs to bank on storms firing further East, those storms are currently riding the associated fronts/troughs moving in. Great analysis above 

oh. sorry. 

It just looked exciting.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 2
Just now, Dami said:

oh.

Sorry Dami, not aimed at you, just these nonsense weather pages that have been popping up in recent years!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

That is not a supercell. And in any case, these storms are far too elevated to bring any threat of tornadoes.

The plethora of Twitter pages which don't have a clue what they're on about is becoming an increasing problem.

So much bs being spouted. There's a hilariously crap page on Facebook as well that really aggravated me with how inaccurate/scare mongering it was.

4 minutes ago, Dami said:

I missed this, but from an hour ago.

The storm in that link above reminds me of the time I was a kid - reading with innocent inquiry into how a man's body differs for a lady's body. Thank you Dorling Kindersley 

• Like 2
Just now, Dami said:

Ok ok I get it, That twitter is crap.

Only some bits mate! We're all hopeful so it's only human to look at it and go OOOOOH 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Well, Euro4 taking the lead... 

3pm

Screenshot_20170718-134627.thumb.png.9bedba24719db4e8dcf598a4ed6b8b4b.pngScreenshot_20170718-134654.thumb.png.62697cdd336944a7a643b8e1184de825.png

Screenshot_20170718-134930.thumb.png.1f575c8f035df3d8a6d2b9187eeac591.png

Arome okay, sorta 

Well that's comforting @Surrey - model wise, it's by far our best bet for later :D

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

That is not a supercell. And in any case, these storms are far too elevated to bring any threat of tornadoes.

The plethora of Twitter pages which don't have a clue what they're on about is becoming an increasing problem.

Seems like there's hooks everywhere on every storm. It doesn't take much learning to realise lots of things resemble hooks. The main precip core would be totally in the wrong place for a supercell etc.