Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Just a had a rumble of thunder from heavy shower passing over in SE25

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
6 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Up and about early, and nice to see the back end of an anvil heading off towards the Pennines. :)

IMG_3438.JPG

Yes that is an anvil type cloud,i have done editing to show

the black lines show that is where the anvil is and the red arrow shows where the inflow is,hope the helps.

IMG_3438.JPG.4cabdfda6707da8f2b0f1a3f002b6ede.thumb.JPG.541996f151025d7f64cc2bb8818b1ca0.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

There are likely to be widespread thundery showers today, although it appears the North Midlands and the southern-eastern part of Northern England could be in a drier slot. Having said that there is some very decent convection around here this morning. A chance again tomorrow, with perhaps a better chance for us in the East Midlands and Lincolnshire whereas less so further west.

This time 4 years ago we were baking in temperatures approaching 30c (34c was reached around London) ahead of a very thundery evening and night for some. The storm I saw on this evening produced the most frequent lightning I had ever witnessed at that time. In actual fact it had some similarities to the storm last week with frequent flashes and IC lightning but very few bolts and strangely muffled thunder. This was followed by a bolt fest during the night, much like the initial round of storms over southern and eastern England on Tuesday night were followed by a bolt fest into the south coast early hours of Wednesday.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Nick F said:

Storm & Convective Forecast

convmap_220717.thumb.png.86541e6b5f5ce7f4eb036a1c3976b2fd.png

Issued 2017-07-22 06:50:16
Valid: 22/07/2017 06z to 23/07/2017 06z

CONVECTIVE / STORM FORECAST - SATURDAY 22ND JULY 2017

*UPDATE 11AM ... have included a MARGINAL risk of severe weather (flooding) for parts of N England and S Scotland ... recent radar imagery and obs indicate convergence zone south of frontal boundary focusing persistent feed of heavy convective rain - which is also producing thunder ... there is a risk of localised flooding from this slow-moving zone of intense rainfall.

convmap_220717_V2.thumb.png.93c52aa0796f89788e12a0de7c800b8b.png

Storm forecast: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

• Like 1

Just now, Nick F said:

*UPDATE 11AM ... have included a MARGINAL risk of severe weather (flooding) for parts of N England and S Scotland ... recent radar imagery and obs indicate convergence zone south of frontal boundary focusing persistent feed of heavy convective rain - which is also producing thunder ... there is a risk of localised flooding from this slow-moving zone of intense rainfall.

convmap_220717_V2.thumb.png.93c52aa0796f89788e12a0de7c800b8b.png

Storm forecast: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Fits in nicely with what's happening on the borders 

Posted

IF only that band in the borders would move slightly further north........................raining here but non convective

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Sferics in the channel!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Just chucked it down really big spots. Lovely convention.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I didn't now you where at a convention dami , comic con ?:rofl:

Dr Who I think, moki?:drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I didn't now you where at a convention dami , comic con ?:rofl:

No sausage and chips. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Nothing too heavy here yet even though we are under the warning

• Like 1

Posted

and it ain't posh. ether.

More rain coming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

We've had some showers that have turned heavy on and off all morning so far. Looking on radar theres cell after cell approaching my location followed by a big mass of rain. This looks set to continue for the rest of the day. Nothing electrical yet, but I'm not ruling it out. Lets see what happens. For now I'm enjoying hearing the rain pound down. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Today and tomorrow look like giving me my favourite summer conditions: strong sunshine and heavy showers and thunderstorms...But not too hot!:D

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 hour ago, Supacell said:

There are likely to be widespread thundery showers today, although it appears the North Midlands and the southern-eastern part of Northern England could be in a drier slot. Having said that there is some very decent convection around here this morning. A chance again tomorrow, with perhaps a better chance for us in the East Midlands and Lincolnshire whereas less so further west.

This time 4 years ago we were baking in temperatures approaching 30c (34c was reached around London) ahead of a very thundery evening and night for some. The storm I saw on this evening produced the most frequent lightning I had ever witnessed at that time. In actual fact it had some similarities to the storm last week with frequent flashes and IC lightning but very few bolts and strangely muffled thunder. This was followed by a bolt fest during the night, much like the initial round of storms over southern and eastern England on Tuesday night were followed by a bolt fest into the south coast early hours of Wednesday.

Yep, that would've been the one I was directly under on that remarkable night. Constant non stop thunder and strobe lighting with plenty of hail and extreme rain thrown in too, with minor flash flooding in parts. Went on for a total of 7 hours! 

That was also the first real night storm for about 7 years, which made it seem even better! 

Edit: actually, I do remember the evening one you are on about that developed around Leicester and pushed due north over EMA, Nottingham and up into South Yorkshire. That had some of the biggest cloud tops I've ever witnessed personally, so no surprise that there was copious amounts of lightning in that thing! Despite being over Leics/Notts, it looked like it was only over somewhere like Melton Mowbray or Corby, so that just shows how high those tops were! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 23 Jul 2017 - 05:59 UTC Mon 24 Jul 2017

ISSUED 12:38 UTC Sat 22 Jul 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Low-end SLGT issued

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-07-23

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 23 Jul 2017 - 05:59 UTC Mon 24 Jul 2017

ISSUED 12:38 UTC Sat 22 Jul 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Low-end SLGT issued

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-07-23

:yahoo:if this is an insight it could bring us yet more distant rumbles

joking, overhead storms haven't been that uncommon this year, im pretty we're approaching 6-7 days with thunder overhead already

• Like 2