Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Hmm, met office forecast for that day says wet and windy.  

Don't often hear the Metoffice speak of LEWPs lol :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
3 hours ago, ajpoolshark said:

Some amazing photo's and video footage posted on here from last night's storms :clap:

for here in deepest, darkest Wiltshire, it was worth the wait....For most of yesterday evening and into the early hours I was in despair seeing storm after storm pass either 50 miles to the west or 50 miles to the east, but around midnight, lightning activity picked up from those very active cells between Bournemouth & Southampton. These storms gradually lifted northwards whilst decaying but from around 2:30 - 4:30am gave some quite impressive amount of lightning with low distant growls of thunder...I checked the radar and live lightning maps and decided to call it a night as the storms were continuing to decay....I couldn't sleep though, so popped out into the garden around 5am for a morning ciggy and cuppa when suddenly my immediate impression was that the world had just blown up!...A huge bolt of lightning hit the fields around 200m from my garden fence line followed instantly by a concussive blast of thunder, I could actually feel the pressure wave!.....Needless to say, in the surrounding houses, lights immediately came on as people woke up obviously thinking like me that an atom bomb had been detonated!......It was the complete surprise of the bolt that scared the beejeesus out of me!......Anyhoos, there were a few more distant growls and that was it, as soon as the storm crossed the M4 a few miles to my north, it died completely

I wonder if it was a positive strike that hit near you?

They are the most powerful forms of lightning and you tend to get those from elevated storms.

The thunders more powerful as the lightning has had to travel further than normal.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Dark as November day now constant thunder

Sounds good, hard to tell if it'll hit here or just pass to the west. Think I'll abandon my planned bike ride n just watch the radar!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

I think the metoffice should take the word "forecast" out of one their descriptors, as some their predictions have been abysmal.

• Like 1

Posted

For most of the day here it's been breezy but all of a sudden completely died of death not sure what that means but that main band is so slow moving no idea what will get here when it arrives

Posted
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

You can see the classic signature in the surface winds, backed behind the front

ukwind.png

I'm not an expert and maybe that's why I just not getting excited about it, all I see is an occluded front that we get many a time.

If there was a plume of +16C air ahead of it I might be

Posted
11 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well a fat zippo here and the thunder free summer continues

We just need something to go through the midlands that will reach us both : P 

• Like 1

Posted

I was foolish to get my hopes up on todays storms,   after seeing the bbc putting those dancing lightning symbols all over the north west, then as the time approached i got a sinking feeling the storms will do their usual sneaky thing and develop in the direction you were not expecting ,  and then taunt you with dark skies and push away,  i knew when the sky started to have the stormy look north west of here as they were developing to the north and will then push away,   game over,   i was naively expecting them to come from the south with those distant rumbles approaching,   grrrr    think i heard one distant rumble , but who cares now , sod the bleedin unreliable storms , bring on autumn  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

I'm not an expert and maybe that's why I just not getting excited about it, all I see is an occluded front that we get many a time.

If there was a plume of +16C air ahead of it I might be

Oh definitely not to get excited about, but worth keeping an eye on

Posted

Rain started now. I'm hoping that the activity over Barrow -In -Furness manages to keep going on its journey north.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Another storm behind this one ,shame it's not nighttime 

Saw  the storm you had previously heading Northwards, could not see a lot of lightning from my position but the core looked impressive so no doubt there would of been torrential rain underneath it.

More rumbles around here now with some rain.

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely sweltering in Buxton this afternoon, the clouds look deceiving but even just after 2 hours of being outside i'm almost soaked through as the temp and humidity is just trapped underneath the low-cloud we've had since morning. Slight spots of rain felt on the way home but the action remains further west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
10 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

I think the metoffice should take the word "forecast" out of one their descriptors, as some their predictions have been abysmal.

Why? Because you personally didn't get a storm?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Finally a rumble of thunder

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
11 minutes ago, NUT said:

For most of the day here it's been breezy but all of a sudden completely died of death not sure what that means but that main band is so slow moving no idea what will get here when it arrives

Still breezy here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Slack low right on top of us for the weekend, something that we haven't seen much of so far this summer.

Risk for slow moving thundery showers across parts of the UK.

Saturday.

h850t850eu.pngukcapeli.pngukprec.png

Sunday.

h850t850eu.pngukcapeli.pngukprec.png

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Weatherman662 said:

Stuff kicking off  in the Midlands?

Really where. Mind you you're in the far north of the Midlands so you're closer to any action there. You probably stand more chance than here in the mid Midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

And that's that! This is the backend view as it all moves northwards (looking towards Liverpool - Manchester area).

The sky is no longer flickering, no more distant grumblings from sky... But I ain't complaining... A distant storm is better than no storm. :bomb::)

... And before anyone asks why didn't I chase it, well it's quite simple, one I'm in work (yes it's that quiet time of year) and secondly, I'd have needed a boat, and all I've got access to is a car, a Landrover, and horses. Lol :laugh:

I haven't given up hope of something firing to my south later, but good luck and enjoy everyone north of me. :bomb::friends:

IMG_3359.JPG

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

looks like Cumbria is getting hammered and showers breaking out elsewhere too which could turn into big storms, thunderstorms also across Merseyside and parts of lancashire in the next few hours..hope things really kick off this evening.:)

WP_20170719_17_23_54_Pro.jpg

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted

Patchy rain in the Midlands, but I know we'll be brewing up storms, and the main storms if they happen will occur over Yorkshire and Scotland which is so annoying