Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Love how so many people are seeing lightning/hearing thunder!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

My personal prediction of where the storms will track, as usual missing the central areas of the country (i.e. the West Midlands)...

596e9389d5290_ScreenShot2017-07-18at23_57_13.thumb.png.e28ac4c4380eeaf452b5ff82726c3737.png

• Like 2

Posted

Like what was suggested above, looks like two main storm surges, one to the west on a very similar path to earlier, probably around Purbeck as we speak. 

The other which is larger is making a good dash towards Brighton way and up to London I would imagine. 

• Like 1

Posted

That's weird, our little storm has passed to the north but can still make out distant lightning to the south (nothing on radar??).

Could it be elevated, zero precipitation lightning?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
1 minute ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

ooh did I see a flash out to the west?????????

Most probably, looks as if Downham Market now getting in on the action, heading on to King's Lynn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, chrcoluk said:

so how is sea staying calm during storm?

5 minutes ago, suffolkboy_ said:

Pokey little cell just fired up south of Bristol out of nowhere!

I can hear the thunder from the storm currently over Stansted! Can see the odd flash too. It's a hour and a quarter drive from me!

Right next to this storm. Constant lightning every few seconds, stansted arrivals seem to be flying sw over north London and back round to stansted due to this severe thunderstorm.

Posted
1 minute ago, xSnow said:

My personal prediction of where the storms will track, as usual missing the central areas of the country (i.e. the West Midlands)...

596e9389d5290_ScreenShot2017-07-18at23_57_13.thumb.png.e28ac4c4380eeaf452b5ff82726c3737.png

Just missing me as well at Lincoln lol, though if that happens we should get a good distant lightning display

Posted

The once linear formation of storms almost looks as if it's coalescing again...perhaps switching to an MCS mode??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
1 minute ago, xSnow said:

I assume this is meant to be a sarcastic post but it may not be that far off and if it's not a sacastic the my apologies but it still not be far off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!
4 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

looking at radar the batch that is more western appears to be moving north then there seems to be a gap and the more Eastern one seems to moving more NE than N which may take the worst over a similar track to the MCV I believe it was called

disclaimer - this is pure guesswork

And the gap of nothingness between Bath & Swindon continues.......

• Like 2

Posted

Developments around Tywyn, west Wales?

Edited by Bangers & Flash
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!
2 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

Like what was suggested above, looks like two main storm surges, one to the west on a very similar path to earlier, probably around Purbeck as we speak. 

The other which is larger is making a good dash towards Brighton way and up to London I would imagine. 

So it MIGHT cross over Northants / Beds, any ideas what the time scale is for this? wonder how Southern Rail will fair in the AM as would normally be getting the 6:40am train!

Posted
Just now, Gordon Webb said:

I assume this is meant to be a sarcastic post but it may not be that far off and if it's not a sacastic the my apologies but it still not be far off

I'm going based on the direction they seem to be heading, but I may be wrong and instead they take a turn slightly West.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
Just now, chillyblast said:

So it MIGHT cross over Northants / Beds, any ideas what the time scale is for this? wonder how Southern Rail will fair in the AM as would normally be getting the 6:40am train!

don't think Southern Rail would want it , they have had enought strikes as it it

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.
4 minutes ago, xSnow said:

wouldnt surprise me, leicester seems to be in an area where clouds seems to avoid travelling over.  As if something is there forcing them round.

I notice weather tends to always move in a diagonal north east pattern over the uk whether its from the south or west.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Seems to be getting closer now, starting to hear loud thunder again. 

Posted

Seems like it's slightly quieter over Bournemouth, either further out to the Channel or further East, based purely on the Webcams compared to 30 mins ago. 

Edited by robillustrates

Posted

It is not an exaggeration to say the clear sky above me is constantly flashing and flickering. I just can't make out if it's from the N storms, S storms or both 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

constant thunder and lightning every few seconds were in for a.direct hit here

20170719_001113.mp4

Posted
7 minutes ago, chrcoluk said:

wouldnt surprise me, leicester seems to be in an area where clouds seems to avoid travelling over.  As if something is there forcing them round.

I notice weather tends to always move in a diagonal north east pattern over the uk whether its from the south or west.

I notice that also, but I find it strange how the storm to the West is heading mostly northwards whilst the one to the East is heading north-eastwards, leaving the Central half of the country clear.

Edited by xSnow
Correction