Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted

Not had the storms some are getting here but some pretty nice skies as the showers brew before they do their stuff

Posted

Easily got the heaviest shower of this spell rolling through

Posted

Doesnt look like much will happen now apart from heavy showers, though BBC still suggesting for some places in Lincolnshire to see something thundery around 7pm, whether it'll come off or not

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Mon 31 Jul 2017 - 05:59 UTC Tue 01 Aug 2017

ISSUED 14:58 UTC Sun 30 Jul 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Closed upper low west of Scotland will begin to fill, with heights aloft slowly rising, and morphing into a broad positively-tilted longwave trough, stretching from west of Iberia to Scandinavia. The associated cool mid-levels atop relatively warm SSTs and diurnal heating inland will result in another day of scattered showers and a few thunderstorms, primarily focussed over Scotland and Northern Ireland where the best mid-level lapse rates will be found. Farther south, profiles exhibit more capping and hence any showers here will be more isolated and less likely to produce lightning given limited depth.

Hail up to 1.5cm in diameter will be possible with the strongest cells, along with some gusty winds. Slow-storm motion in N/NW Scotland increases the risk of localised surface water flooding, and here there is the chance of a few funnel clouds or a weak tornado.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Thunder & Lightening storm here as I type   :)

B.

• Like 2

Posted

Got a much better view now that our neighbours have cut down their trees which will be perfect for storms, especially for any that occurs at night. Here's what the sky looks like atm in the far distance

S1740012.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Took this on mobile while I was out earlier to my east,half hour difference

IMG_20170730_161648.thumb.jpg.5f459112a91cc14873954a7bb9dc9162.jpgIMG_20170730_165957.thumb.jpg.00e6fa61f7fd3a525b11a82443e9b706.jpgIMG_20170730_170023.thumb.jpg.1fa501f4f3b012df4955c63ea44f5438.jpg

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted

Looks like I could see something soon so long as the storm shield doesnt ruin it for us : P 

Clouds are getting darker behind us

S1740013.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Met office weather warning for my area for thundery rain . 

Posted

The storm that passed produced about 3 lightning strikes and that was it :bomb: I suppose 1 storm is better than no storm though. I think that one storm is what I'll get all year :cc_confused:

Edited by Weatherman662

Posted
Just now, Weatherman662 said:

The storm that passed produced about 3 lightning strikes and that was it :bomb: I suppose 1 storm is better than no storm though. 

Looks like we're about to just get another heavy shower, however the worse always seems to edge around us which is really strange, when we had storms years ago we had some good proper ones but now they move around us or they finish just before arriving : P It's like we have some sort of storm shield lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
18 minutes ago, Weatherman662 said:

The storm that passed produced about 3 lightning strikes and that was it :bomb: I suppose 1 storm is better than no storm though. I think that one storm is what I'll get all year :cc_confused:

Highly doubt it. Lincolnshire by far gets more storms in general on average than most other places in the UK! You've still got 2-3 more potential rounds to go yet bud. 

Over the years, people have looked at Lincolnshire with envy at some of the storms it gets. Sleaford in June 2012 and 28th August last year etc. 

Posted
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Highly doubt it. Lincolnshire by far gets more storms in general on average than most other places in the UK! You've still got 2-3 more potential rounds to go yet bud. 

Over the years, people have looked at Lincolnshire with envy at some of the storms it gets. Sleaford in June 2012 and 28th August last year etc. 

Just annoying when they miss out on Lincoln lol, but yes we have had some cracking storms here in the past

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Just annoying when they miss out on Lincoln lol, but yes we have had some cracking storms here in the past

There's another batch heading past Derby that might fire up for you. Meanwhile, I've been in a dry slot all day watching all the CB's go from my W to my NE. This wind direction has never done favours for me at all, the WSW fetch. I think stability all the way from the Bristol Channel has a big effect here on days like this. There's been many times in the past with days like today where I'll see the likes of Cambridge get a battering, and then to my north, places like Nottingham, Grantham and Lincoln. Whilst we stay dry all day. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

No storms here just fizzled away as they approached.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Some photos took last week but my usb charger packed up so i couldn't upload them,got a new one now:)

some of these produced some storms to my east i think

DSC01473.thumb.JPG.8b72e7e3de118feb9a4f6354e75c246f.JPGDSC01474.thumb.JPG.bdc4c23585005d64ee8ac755711b833b.JPGDSC01475.thumb.JPG.6d18cec3c0396f0120dae9dbcee42567.JPG

developing CB's to my south and the second photo i managed to get another pileus shot just where the birds are flying

DSC01476.thumb.JPG.c5c067cc9030383ebe24fbbcab11cae3.JPGDSC01477.thumb.JPG.1f601bd2740d0674ce9067be640ecec1.JPG

this one had some rotation to the SE of the shower

DSC01483.thumb.JPG.9e34bbdece6ca8c3e3c527da9d01daac.JPG

and this from today of which dropped some very big convective raindrops

DSC01487.thumb.JPG.f1a119ebb2b2b093f1c474e5475270b8.JPG

as for the rest of today i am not hoping for much now but you never know,i am keeping my eye on midweek next week as there is another storm risk,but i will leave that for now until closer the time:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Brown willy effect? I don't even want to ask..

I've heard of the brown ocean effect but...well...