Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted

Massive Thunderstorm here, torrential rain and hail, lane I live in completely flooded.

Pete

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

So today there's been thundery activity in the west, east, south and north, and yet again the Midlands produces nothing other than heavy rain at best. I'm wondering if there is actually a scientific explanation for this because if you look at the map bellow of the four stormiest days combined, there is a big gap of virtually no activity surrounded by over 300,000 strikes in total. It's insane, and the outlook isn't even good for the next few weeks, just a bit of sun but nothing eventful for sure.

IMG_5113.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
13 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Massive Thunderstorm here, torrential rain and hail, lane I live in completely flooded.

Pete

Hiya @Pete B:)

I'm just the t'other side of the Pren Hill, so I'll back you up on that. :good:

Posted

just like the other day , the northwest storms start over north wales and push away into the irish sea, avoiding the populated areas again,  its as though they are sticking two fingers up at us

Posted

SE Wales valleys,. rain,. or may'be what just looks like a trough ,. seemingly moving,. but not very far,. the heavy showers are stagnant and I suspect causing flooding for some just a mile away ! Looks possible it could thunder anytime !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
24 minutes ago, Supacell said:

There are some heavy showers moving out of Suffolk currently, these could turn thundery. Tomorrow evening looking a good time for where you are though.

Something is definitely amiss this year for storms around here. It's happened time and time again, something happens to prevent a storm from happening and yet just a short drive away there will be storms. Check out just north-west of Stoke, they will likely turn thundery soon. Here in Derbyshire, hours of moderate rain beckon looking at the radar. I can definitely understand the frustration this year for people living around here.

Year on year it seems to be getting worse.Back in the mid 90's I remember terrific storms lasting all night and some crackers in the day as well.Mind you, you could say the same about snow we never get much of that here now either.

Posted
8 minutes ago, IanR said:

just like the other day , the northwest storms start over north wales and push away into the irish sea, avoiding the populated areas again,  its as though they are sticking two fingers up at us

just to add, i will predict tommorrow........storms will form to the east and then'push away'  to the east

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Rain just starting here at my location now, Sky's to my South..

20170722_174059_Richtone(HDR).thumb.jpg.e41aaa6fbe5fe12d83a95a6fc4abe9a1.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nothing but spots of rain here and I've noticed the activity in the last twenty minutes has suddenly declined.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Just had a moderate to heavy shower here for an hour or so as well as some nice unstable skies but no lightning or thunder 

Posted

intense looking shower over liverpool and one to the south of manchester,  any thunder in these, i can see the dark skies towards these locations, with towers over the tops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

At switch island now,   torrential rain, no lightning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
28 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

At switch island now,   torrential rain, no lightning. 

I didn't see any lightning Chris just heard the one loud rumble, rain was really intense for a bit. Can't see anymore coming our way atm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Nothing thundery here but some very heavy rain at times with flooding on a few roads nearby. Convective looking skies for a lot of the day though. 

IMG_0671.JPG

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!
1 hour ago, xSnow said:

So today there's been thundery activity in the west, east, south and north, and yet again the Midlands produces nothing other than heavy rain at best. I'm wondering if there is actually a scientific explanation for this because if you look at the map bellow of the four stormiest days combined, there is a big gap of virtually no activity surrounded by over 300,000 strikes in total. It's insane, and the outlook isn't even good for the next few weeks, just a bit of sun but nothing eventful for sure.

IMG_5113.JPG

That is shocking! You can see the evidence right there of the midland storm shield... But seriously we have been really unlucky! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Just had some really really Torrential Rain, which was pretty mad! Haven't seen Rain that Heavy in ages. Even more so than Tuesday Night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Few flashes of lightning here, First thunderstorm I witness here this year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
3 hours ago, xSnow said:

IMG_5113.JPG

even Scotland appears to have some , the chart really does say it all

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

A few panoramas of today's storm coming in over the Moelwyns & Rhinogydd mountains of Snowdonia with some interesting cloud formations.

IMG_20170722_153717129-PANO.thumb.jpg.5ec1a05d4b47777fd1b97b52ae29120c.jpgIMG_20170722_155453614-PANO.thumb.jpg.f6b10892d141c4858272450a6a836ebc.jpgIMG_20170722_161458020-PANO.thumb.jpg.1c60a59a1ff13f2bb043d92db5a1d07f.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
8 minutes ago, Another Kent clipper said:

Earlier this eve.  No thunder but pretty

IMG_20170722_182936.jpg

IMG_20170722_181001.jpg

IMG_20170722_180954.jpg

Yes, the sky was awesome! I got a long lasting heavy shower but as you say no thunder.

A band of heavy downpours is closing in from the east now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

Yes, the sky was awesome! I got a long lasting heavy shower but as you say no thunder.

A band of heavy downpours is closing in from the east now.

I was watching the cauliflower all day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Saw this scary satellite map on Midlands Storms Chasers Facebook page, If you look closely, you see a skull which looks like it's blowing wind, and it's nose is placed directly on top of the Midlands. :closedeyes: Sorry it's a bit off topic.

20157988_1505627142829157_21205698014077

Edited by xSnow
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, xSnow said:

Saw this scary satellite map on Midlands Storms Chasers Facebook page, If you look closely, you see a skull which looks like it's blowing wind, and it's nose is placed directly on top of the Midlands. :closedeyes: Sorry it's a bit off topic.

20157988_1505627142829157_21205698014077

Lol looks more like my border terrier ...:D

• Like 2