Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and showery airflows

Just seen this cloud develop off the coast near Brighton. See it better if you darken your screen ,but defined anvil appearing just above the tree...

DSC_0157.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and showery airflows
15 hours ago, tomp456 said:

Anyone else still buzzing from the storm tues eve/wed am?

;)

Still buzzing here!!! What a night... and about a couple of hours before I gave up hope then all of a sudden the radar returns for the Channel lit up!!! The rest we all know..Hope u enjoyed it.

Posted

So the EURO4 has been fairly accurate of recent

Lets see how it fairs tomorrow with this prediction 

17072215_2106.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
17 minutes ago, Jules777 said:

Still buzzing here!!! What a night... and about a couple of hours before I gave up hope then all of a sudden the radar returns for the Channel lit up!!! The rest we all know..Hope u enjoyed it.

If you mean it lit up after dark then it is always good to wait for nightfall as sometimes the potential gets realised due to nocturnal cooling. It certainly looked like it did that on Tuesday evening. Could see the daytime storms were very limited, waited to see what would happen after nightfall and bingo. If the trigger and energy was only due to diurnal heating then the limited storms would have been the only thing we got.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

So the EURO4 has been fairly accurate of recent

Lets see how it fairs tomorrow with this prediction 

17072215_2106.gif

It also caught my eye! I think we shouldn't take the exact position literally but be glad that there is a potential for intense showers locally.

The main think is for the band of rain to move north promptly tomorrow so that we enter the area of sunshine and showers.

• Like 2

Posted

All of a sudden it's gone quite sunny here.

I also notice on the radar there are some showers north of Birmingham ahead of the band of rain. I hope to catch one of those showers for a bit of interest. 

The rain band is unlikely to reach me before midnight which is a delay compared to what it was shown a day or so ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms snow sun

The squall line is nearly over us lashing down local roads are flooded and there's a tree down gone wild the last half hour.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Well...All I can say is that Thunderstorm event was absolutely incredible. Probably the best one since the 2014 MCS.

I am back from the IOW, still buzzing from those storms. It lasted for about 6 hours, with amazingly frequent lightning, as well as:

1:An amazing buildup, in the form of a channel lightning show and a spot of now casting.

2:Torrential rain

3: Strong, gusty winds, as well as several gust fronts and wall clouds.

4: It did not stop back building.

I really, really hope this is a sign of things to come. (Also, 111 pages??)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
52 minutes ago, dragon falls said:

The squall line is nearly over us lashing down local roads are flooded and there's a tree down gone wild the last half hour.

Lashing down , wind completely dropped . Just checking local reports to see if anything has occurred . 

Posted

I noticed long range models show no sign for proper heat for a good week or two now which is worrying, especially when our chances for some thunderstorm days are decreasing. Hopefully it isnt the last the country will have some big storms this year but I'm not feeling very hopeful :/

Posted
1 hour ago, LightningLover said:

Well...All I can say is that Thunderstorm event was absolutely incredible. Probably the best one since the 2014 MCS.

I am back from the IOW, still buzzing from those storms. It lasted for about 6 hours, with amazingly frequent lightning, as well as:

1:An amazing buildup, in the form of a channel lightning show and a spot of now casting.

2:Torrential rain

3: Strong, gusty winds, as well as several gust fronts and wall clouds.

4: It did not stop back building.

I really, really hope this is a sign of things to come. (Also, 111 pages??)

I'm hoping us in Lincolnshire gets a chance for something similar with the storm from the other day, but the long range models aren't helping : P

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
36 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

I noticed long range models show no sign for proper heat for a good week or two now which is worrying, especially when our chances for some thunderstorm days are decreasing. Hopefully it isnt the last the country will have some big storms this year but I'm not feeling very hopeful :/

By my reckoning we are about half way through the "storm season" which generally runs from 1st May to 30th September, although storms in April and October are also commonplace. So yes, our thunderstorm days are now decreasing but we are long way off the end and I would be very doubtful that there won't be any more big storms. Last year the best storms of the year for many occurred in September. 

A chance for storms over the next few days across a good few places. Ok, not the big storms of a few days ago but a storm risk nonetheless.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
57 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

And just to add to what Supacell said above, we can often see small pulse type storms at anytime of the year if the conditions are right. No they may not be the light show many crave, but some of the cloudscapes are amazing and the showers are very potent, with sunshine in-between and the bonus of less sweat inducing humidity! 

Hoping to see further chances over the next couple of months. Up to now there has been a repetitive pattern of a trough dropping down to our west at 4-5 day notice creating these "mini plumes". Hopefully that wasn't the end of that quite yet...

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine

Well I've never been so underwhelmed by the storms of the other night.  Not a flash or bang to be had here. Pretty typical for this part of the world these last few years. Glad some of you got some action though. :)

Posted
1 hour ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Without being able to dig up the details (maybe I'll post it later) but could possibly be in 2014 we had quite possibly a supercell that came over us on 11th of October. I think Paul Sherman was at the Norfolk broads at the time and witnessed it too. It gave us a great storm structure and 3 hours of nice anvil crawlers and cgs. I got slow motion and footage of it somewhere. Based around that there's still quite sometime left for potential.

Edited by Greeny
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Greeny said:

Without being able to dig up the details (maybe I'll post it later) but could possibly be in 2014 we had quite possibly a supercell that came over us on 11th of October. I think Paul Sherman was at the Norfolk broads at the time and witnessed it too. It gave us a great storm structure and 3 hours of nice anvil crawlers and cgs. I got slow motion and footage of it somewhere. Based around that there's still quite sometime left for potential.

There was a tornado in Derbyshire on the 8th October 2014 and then some big storms across Norfolk on the 11th so this date would concur.

Posted

Tada! As if by magic! And thats why a blog is such a great thing, pick the date and see whats on there!

http://blog.weatherholidays.com/2014/10/saturday-11th-october-2014-north.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, karyo said:

The band is making some progress now. The sky is starting to look more turbulent here.

Bits of rain slowly arriving, breezy with a wind from the SE but when snow is due a mysterious hole begins to open up on the radar over Gtr Manchester in a SE wind. Never seems to be a problem with rain no matter the wind direction.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Greeny said:

It was very convective that day, this was from my location that day.

• Like 3

Posted

There we go :) great back up and confirming the date! Thanks guys! Definitely a day/night to remember. I don't have much time right now but I'll dig up everything I can about that night. I think I have radar animation of it too to show the right turn it made.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Nasty squall line just passed through....lots of surface water flooding. Temperature dropped to 13.9c at the peak of the rainfall. Strong and gusty winds of earlier are now completely gone.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
31 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

For anyone still pining after Tuesday's storms I've put together a compilation of footage from the event to make "the perfect storm" - with the lightning building at the start and fading away - with the original sounds to add atmosphere.

Hope you like it!

That is one fantastic piece of footage you've done there @Flash bang flash bang etc :clapping:
I just hope we get a storm like that up this neck of the woods, soon. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Well that squall line passed through here about an hour or so ago (I know as I was out in it!). :crazy:
Now I could be totally wrong here, but I swear that there was a flash of lightning... Just the one, no thunder... But others have also reported seeing this 'flash' but again no thunder, and also nothing has shown up on any storm/lightning radar. :unknw:

• Like 5