Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
12 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Managed to get a bit of the lightning last night, it's not that clear though. 

Having watched it again it hasn't come out that badly. Best one around 2:09. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Oh to have a storm like this approaching, almost better than a lottery win.

http://www.kameraikealublin.pl/

The new building site for IKEA at Lublin, Poland

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado
5 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

Any chance of a cheeky unforeseen MCS sneaking its way up from the channel? 

;)

Would say almost zero looking at the sat, maybe a chance of a few small thunder showers here and there. Wouldnt get to excited though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms

Im hoping for what Estofex, convective weather and torro have mentioned to pay off tonight, being that between 00z to 06z there could be some embedded thunderstorm activity in the S/E ahead of cold front moving off to the east early tomorrow, my prediction is for a similar occur ace as yesterday, although lightning and MCS structure will be reduced, and it may be thundery rain, but I can't ask for much after last night. I am liking the development of the precipitation the the channel, and that little shower over Bognor, watch this space

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 hour ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Certain I heard a rumble just then, Glossop direction?

There was nowt here. Possibly the emirates A380 taking off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 20 Jul 2017 - 05:59 UTC Fri 21 Jul 2017

ISSUED 22:14 UTC Wed 19 Jul 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

... SE ENGLAND / EAST ANGLIA ...

Small chance of an isolated elevated thunderstorm early in the forecast period. Residual moisture in the low/mid-levels might provide the focus for a few heavy showers and / or isolated surface-based thunderstorms during the late morning/midday hours in particular with some insolation and low-level wind convergence aiding shower development as a cold front approaches from the west. Mid-level lapse rates are marginal but a low-end SLGT has been issued, with the proviso that the risk will rapidly diminish during the afternoon hours as the cold front clears and lower dewpoint air advects eastwards, despite being theoretically during the period of peak daytime heating.

... NE SCOTLAND / NORTHERN ISLES ...

Embedded lightning could occur along and/or to the east of the frontal boundary affecting northeast Scotland, which will slowly lift to the northeast during the day. Some uncertainty as to how much lightning activity there will be, but the risk deemed significant enough to issue a low-end SLGT at least. Some localised flash flooding may occur from prolonged downpours.

... REPUBLIC OF IRELAND / NORTHERN IRELAND ...

Cut-off upper vortex will be centred west of Ireland on Thursday, but with a trough axis pivoting northwards across the Republic of Ireland into Northern Ireland. The associated steep mid-level lapse rates will be best phased with diurnal heating over northern areas by the afternoon hours, with numerous showers, some perhaps weakly-electrified. Chance of an isolated funnel cloud.

Through the evening hours, a couple semi-organised occlusions will move east across Eire to the Celtic Sea, with some elements of line convection (and perhaps isolated lightning) given a strongly sheared environment - this will be getting close to Cornwall by 6z Friday.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-07-20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.
49 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Oh to have a storm like this approaching, almost better than a lottery win.

http://www.kameraikealublin.pl/

The new building site for IKEA at Lublin, Poland

how poland managed to get that its not at the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and anything unusual

I was forecast thunderstorms for today all week and the closest storm was over a hundred miles away. Just shows to take any forecast with a pinch of salt and don’t assume anything until there’s a god damn storm over you.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just trying this out..

giphy.gif

From the video I posted earlier. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
9 hours ago, Tom Jarvis said:

What did you use to capture those?

Just on my iPhone . Slow motion video mode - then intricate editing ;-)

I'm keeping an eye out for a better slow motion camera with higher frame rate - but they're not cheap!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Some towering cbs trying to go up in Tower Hamlets this morning.

20170720_093149.thumb.jpg.380177619d34ef9d79d3336ee3d4a5d7.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Nice little squall line going through the south east on radar...

Capture.thumb.JPG.2028b4625cd9c6b5a59156667fe0734e.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
10 hours ago, Martin Auld said:

I was forecast thunderstorms for today all week and the closest storm was over a hundred miles away. Just shows to take any forecast with a pinch of salt and don’t assume anything until there’s a god damn storm over you.

At least you didn't just miss them, but I agree the forecasting yesterday was bad, woke up to 20mm of rain when only patchy showers were forecast! In my case however, not a rumble heard despite an MCS being literally 10 miles from my location, not to mention all the other storms we missed in the past. I would personally rather live in Scotland and have less storms and more snow than here which has no storms and no snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, xSnow said:

At least you didn't just miss them, but I agree the forecasting yesterday was bad, woke up to 20mm of rain when only patchy showers were forecast! In my case however, not a rumble heard despite an MCS being literally 10 miles from my location, not to mention all the other storms we missed in the past. I would personally rather live in Scotland and have less storms and more snow than here which has no storms and no snow.

At least you got a bit of rain for the garden (if you like gardening that is), a similar forecast was made here, and we didn't have a drop, but we did have plenty of cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
10 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

At least you got a bit of rain for the garden (if you like gardening that is), a similar forecast was made here, and we didn't have a drop, but we did have plenty of cloud.

Not a gardening fan but we are due significant rain tomorrow. I personally dislike rain, but I understand how dry it has been in the region which is why the thunderstorms would have actually been beneficial. Hope you get the rain you need tomorrow (over 20mm currently forecast).

Posted

very quick sharp shower, drizzle following.. unexpected to say the least!