Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
3 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

:wallbash::wallbash:

you are very welcome.

but I have had some drizzle wasn't a lie.

:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

lightning Blencathra and booming thunder bouncing off the mountains

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Steady drizzle here,but the wind has really picked up in the last half an hour or so!.

Posted

Hopefully this could be our next chance for a thundery breakdown, but I'm worried that it looks to just end with low preasure coming from the Atlantic

3RD AUGUST.png

4TH AUGUST.png

• Like 1

Posted

What a shocker that was. Even the storm that developed didn't seem to be producing much lightning for most of its life.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

yawnfest here, 1 rumble of thunder and a bit of rain, about average for a t-storm here though, there always weak as pish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Yesterday, lots of these tiny boring looking straight line clouds as the heat dissipated in the afternoon, then at sunset an amazing pink sky and even a pink rainbow as the edge of the stormy weather came over us (lightning in the distance) then v light rain, followed by totally silent odd flashes on the horizon as somewhere near London was getting the proper storm, and absolutely no thunder, I stayed awake for hours hoping for a storm but slept through the torrential rain that turned out to be the only excitement near Oxford.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Woollymummy
  • Like 1

Posted

Just had a decent 15 min storm passing through here, was strange at one point because about 5 mins into the storm, the skies turned very dark with what looked like low cloud and it was heading in an easterly direction, maybe a funnel cloud was trying to form? either way it quickly went and the lightning was frequent and spectacular.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.

I went bed after my last post, I assume no storm reached here as is bone dry outside, but is cloudy and air is fresher today.  So I am grateful for that at least.

Is it still hot enough for further storms?

Edited by chrcoluk

Posted
9 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

yawnfest here, 1 rumble of thunder and a bit of rain, about average for a t-storm here though, there always weak as pish

I'm surprised you got nothing as another member reported, there was a decent storm heading northwards at about 4:30 and I don't think your location is all that far away, maybe it fizzled out or headed to far eastwards?

As for here, looks like that might be it, kind of feel you always wanted more but appreciate what I did get when you see how other areas completely missed out. As ever with storms, its the luck of the draw really, some places will get them, others won't.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Euro4 spot on again for this afternoon. This model has done very well so far this summer with storm set ups. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, TropicThunder said:

Wow just catching up with this thread and the 35 new pages lol, but last night was the best storm we've had for years here, was reminiscent of the overnighters we used to get fairly regularly in the 90's when I was growing up.  Only got an hours sleep last night but totally worth it! Hoping we don't have too long to wait for the next opportunity, but for today good luck to all those further north.

Yes totally agree, it was one of the best night time storms I've seen here to the east of Southampton. I viewed the storm approaching from the top of the local car park until security told me to leave. I was there happily minding my own business watching natures light show...but he was more convinced that i was there to throw shopping trolleys off Tesco car-park roof. Clearly us storm chasers have that look about us?. Or maybe it's just me :aggressive:. Oh well never mind..went home and enjoyed the storm as it came directly overhead. May upload some video late, but here's some still's

SnapShot(5).jpg

SnapShot(6).jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

A very small chance of more storms here over night ... but after last night I couldn't give a monkeys if it stays bone dry with not a cloud in the sky.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Any chance of anything popping up behind this storm? Very grey here now. Can't see much happening 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
42 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

I have three new words for MCS...MURKY,COUDY,SKY'S:nonono:

there is some cells popping up north of Wells and nr Taunton.

Just popped out of nowhere it seems. . Sky dark here and humid with temps at 23C .and slight breeze picking up .  Mind you we had a good storm last night so will be interesting to see if this does anything . 

Posted

Might catch up on a few hours lost-sleep as the MEN Evening News has a video up showing forecast storms won't hit the Peak District until at least 8/9pm.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/radar-map-shows-storm-could-13357252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

It's crossed the whole North Sea again, like that one earlier this year did?

How on earth can they keep doing that and yet not reach the Midlands, where there is land to make convection and thermals?

I know! Defies all laws of meteorology right?! 

It must be something to do with the juicy upper air temps above the boundary layer I'm assuming as part of the EML plume. It can't be reliant on the absent fuel the North Sea has to offer! But yes, yet again NW Germany and Denmark have been rewarded with a UK grown monster! It isn't fair!! 

Posted

is there any chance of anything else forming behind this? The cold front is still in Ireland isn't it?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Darren Bown said:

is there any chance of anything else forming behind this? The cold front is still in Ireland isn't it?

Euro 4 is hinting at this, the 06z was suggesting over our region now the 12z a bit further east.

• Like 1