Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Looks like the met-office has overplayed the storm activity for today, not for the first time either, hope i'm wrong, but it looks like a no show.

Posted

Did anyone get any nice panoramas on the coastline, saw a few people had said they went to the cliffs and got a good view of it all developing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.
2 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Nice little crawler

IMG_1922.GIF

Brilliant. How did you do this if you don't mind me asking?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Feels bad. Another no show here. Too far N&W for last night's offering and looking too far S&E for that lot forecast to hit Lancashire etc. Stuck in the middle in Crewe!

• Like 2

Posted

It's very dark here but I'm worried there's not enough east development of this and It'll trundle through the Irish Sea

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Looking at met office rainfall forecast at 3pm we should see lots of cells across midlands moving northwards into Yorkshire, radar shows absolutely nowt. Still plenty of time but my gut feeling says bust.

Same as last time - too much cloud preventing convection from kicking off. It seems like every time there is a possibility for severe storms, we have way more cloud than forecast. We are cursed.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Can see big towers going up through the haze over the Wirral.

• Like 1

Posted

Interestingly, just started raining here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, ajpoolshark said:

Some amazing photo's and video footage posted on here from last night's storms :clap:

for here in deepest, darkest Wiltshire, it was worth the wait....For most of yesterday evening and into the early hours I was in despair seeing storm after storm pass either 50 miles to the west or 50 miles to the east, but around midnight, lightning activity picked up from those very active cells between Bournemouth & Southampton. These storms gradually lifted northwards whilst decaying but from around 2:30 - 4:30am gave some quite impressive amount of lightning with low distant growls of thunder...I checked the radar and live lightning maps and decided to call it a night as the storms were continuing to decay....I couldn't sleep though, so popped out into the garden around 5am for a morning ciggy and cuppa when suddenly my immediate impression was that the world had just blown up!...A huge bolt of lightning hit the fields around 200m from my garden fence line followed instantly by a concussive blast of thunder, I could actually feel the pressure wave!.....Needless to say, in the surrounding houses, lights immediately came on as people woke up obviously thinking like me that an atom bomb had been detonated!......It was the complete surprise of the bolt that scared the beejeesus out of me!......Anyhoos, there were a few more distant growls and that was it, as soon as the storm crossed the M4 a few miles to my north, it died completely

My dad had the same experience a couple of years ago - he was at the door calling the cat in as it was chucking it down, and there was a massive flash and almost instantaneous bang, which brought me out of a doze PDQ.  He came into my room with his eyes popping out of his head and said that the pressure wave forced the air out of his lungs, and the static discharge made his hair stand on end.

• Like 1

Posted

This is the sky here to the SW. Can see convection, just think it might be too late? The cold front is pretty close now?

image.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
3 minutes ago, Gord said:

Interestingly, just started raining here.

well there is some rain on the radar but it's a very light blue so you might have a job to pick it out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
6 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Has anyone seen any altocumulus castellanus? The sky just doesn't look thundery to me, we had a lot of AsCs a week last Thursday over this area and it mounted to nothing at least around here.

I noticed some here earlier but its clouded over now. Now and again I am spotting big huge cauliflower clouds through the gaps

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
15 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

Did anyone get any nice panoramas on the coastline, saw a few people had said they went to the cliffs and got a good view of it all developing. 

IMG_20170719_131320738_HDR.thumb.jpg.d39ca3eedcd726a2671ff112e6f0a727.jpg

Not really a panorama, but the calm before the N Wales storm this lunchtime. The dogs wanted to get out of the heat for a cooling swim before it bucketed down. 

IMG_20170719_130958455.thumb.jpg.2819776a53e1c1d370ecf5de6fc19c7e.jpg

Edited by kar999
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

My dad had the same experience a couple of years ago - he was at the door calling the cat in as it was chucking it down, and there was a massive flash and almost instantaneous bang, which brought me out of a doze PDQ.  He came into my room with his eyes popping out of his head and said that the pressure wave forced the air out of his lungs, and the static discharge made his hair stand on end.

When I was younger a lightning bolt struck the hanging basket in our front garden and incinerated it while we were in the living room, think I've always been fascinated by such storms ever since that day really. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

well there is some rain on the radar but it's a very light blue so you might have a job to pick it out

Well yeah, the rain is very light to be honest, but always remain hopeful!

Where is the cold front right now and how is it positioned? (i.e. is it sitting diagonally across the middle of Wales/England northwest to south east or it is still way out to the west of the whole country?)

Am I under it now hence the light rain or is this something developing that may give something further north of me?

The reason I ask is because if you draw a line from the North Wales storm through the Holland storm all the way down to the Switzerland storm, there are no lightning strikes anywhere in Europe on the southwest side of that line. That line would come through here which may explain the light rain.

I mean I know nothing and it's no more than an observation.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

The haze is starting to clear here now... and I can just see a tower going up to my North (looking towards Liverpool - Manchester direction). :good:

Still very warm and sticky... But with a gusty warm breeze.

IMG_3351.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Dangerous55019 said:

The haze is starting to clear here now... and I can just see a tower going up to my North (looking towards Liverpool - Manchester direction). :good:

Still very warm and sticky... But with a gusty warm breeze.

IMG_3351.JPG

It's very strange out at present, the gulls are going crazy. The intense cell to your west does seem to be tracking East slowly

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

Not a glamorous clifftop view (more a suburban street in Andover) but it looked awesome as it came in.

Excuse the iffy quality and editing, it was taken on my iphone as i didnt have my DSLR charged:(

storm1.JPG

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
2 minutes ago, Devon donut said:

It's very strange out at present, the gulls are going crazy. The intense cell to your west does seem to be tracking East slowly

I can feel the odd rain drop here and the birds have gone quiet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

North Wales in the thunderstorm zone. And a photo from last night's severe storms.:)

DFGrVTtXcAkCus1.jpg

DFGpOjSWAAEiGnx.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

It's funny how the cloud cover over the Midlands is ruining the storm action for the North, and time is running out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

According to this BBC weather forecast, some storms/showers should be breaking out soon over some parts of the Midlands!

IMG_0661.JPG.3c8d9e2e2b54a98a23cd73492de1a82a.JPG

Not sure about that, although the cloud cover here has become more patchy and looks a little threatening! Hard to tell whether it's just Stratus cloud or if there is any embedded convection going on

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1