Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
28 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

Some amazing photo's and video footage posted on here from last night's storms :clap:

for here in deepest, darkest Wiltshire, it was worth the wait....For most of yesterday evening and into the early hours I was in despair seeing storm after storm pass either 50 miles to the west or 50 miles to the east, but around midnight, lightning activity picked up from those very active cells between Bournemouth & Southampton. These storms gradually lifted northwards whilst decaying but from around 2:30 - 4:30am gave some quite impressive amount of lightning with low distant growls of thunder...I checked the radar and live lightning maps and decided to call it a night as the storms were continuing to decay....I couldn't sleep though, so popped out into the garden around 5am for a morning ciggy and cuppa when suddenly my immediate impression was that the world had just blown up!...A huge bolt of lightning hit the fields around 200m from my garden fence line followed instantly by a concussive blast of thunder, I could actually feel the pressure wave!.....Needless to say, in the surrounding houses, lights immediately came on as people woke up obviously thinking like me that an atom bomb had been detonated!......It was the complete surprise of the bolt that scared the beejeesus out of me!......Anyhoos, there were a few more distant growls and that was it, as soon as the storm crossed the M4 a few miles to my north, it died completely

for me the lighting was visable from 230 onwards it was not till about 3am ish it started kicking off ..shotgun thunder and creepers glore..got some lovely footage from my weather cam just need to edit it ..

• Like 2

Posted

19*C and overcast here - a full 3-5 degrees below model forecast.

To what extent do you think this lack of surface heating will put the kibosh on the storm hopes of Leeds, Netweather Community Forum?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

The wind looks to of turned more to the south-east, and the sky looks lighter, so the cloud cover may have a chance of breaking up a little.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Pat Butcher said:

To what extent do you think this lack of surface heating will put the kibosh on the storm hopes of Leeds, Netweather Community Forum?

Amazing contrast then, I'm 35 miles east of Leeds and we have sunshine and 25c :O

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Pat Butcher said:

The sun's come out here and it's 23C.

However, it does look like that cloud further south is moving up this way. As per usual it looks like unforecast cloud will kill our storm chances.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
18 minutes ago, karyo said:

hey mate, the activity is getting closer to you from the southwest. You should be able to see something on the horizon very soon.

I've got me eye on it @karyo :D

Its currently the other side of the Clwydian Range... But I can see the dark skies.:bomb::D

IMG_3349.PNG

IMG_3348.JPG

Edited by Dangerous55019
Typo
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

zoomed in a bit more, north wales looks the place to be!:bomb:boom

WP_20170719_14_08_26_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
57 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

such a shame this cloud is really hampering our chances, weather station still saying 25.6c so feeling warm, but i fear no more storms here but cant be greedy, last night was fantastic

I'm worried about the rest of the Summer, every storm so far has missed us by a few miles. Seeing distant lightning is nice but would be great to have a proper big storm

Posted

I just hope here we have a chance in August now, and not another miss by a few miles as that's been the case for us so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
6 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

zoomed in a bit more, north wales looks the place to be!:bomb:boom

WP_20170719_14_08_26_Pro.jpg

Although I should point out, just a few miles further west than I am currently @Frosty.. Lol. :laugh::bomb:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
21 minutes ago, Pat Butcher said:

Hi Pat Butcher, should you not be more concerned about any storms in Walford? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Looking down Station Road towards Tintwistle, a nice Base for starters. Unfortunately it heading for Yorkshire.

20170719_143216_001.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Bit concerned that the hills are the only thing keeping those showers going in n Wales. Should be some development further east if so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

Bit concerned that the hills are the only thing keeping those showers going in n Wales. Should be some development further east if so.

Ideally want to see some popping up towards the marches

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

recent lightening detector, north wales..boom:D

WP_20170719_14_43_39_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Currently 26.2c here, dark clouds gathering and the wind has picked up, everything crossed

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Looks like I'm only getting heavy rain... Can't believe this 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I'm starting to think that the north wales activity is all we will see today? It will drift up the Irish Sea and mess with the Cumbrian coast and on into SW Scotland but anywhere further East is done (IMHO).

The Shield of cloud over the Midlands has slowed any of the 'home grown' storms from forming and we're now running out of sun to spark them off.

I do hope I'm wrong as I'm so envious of the folk who saw that light show last night!!!

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Not looking good for the Midlands unfortunately looks like we may have missed all that stormy fun, again :( 

Posted
1 minute ago, whoissean said:

Not looking good for the Midlands unfortunately looks like we may have missed all that stormy fun, again :( 

Hopefully we'll get something next month, I have a feeling though the rest of this summer is a bust for storms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I'm starting to think that the north wales activity is all we will see today? It will drift up the Irish Sea and mess with the Cumbrian coast and on into SW Scotland but anywhere further East is done (IMHO).

The Shield of cloud over the Midlands has slowed any of the 'home grown' storms from forming and we're now running out of sun to spark them off.

I do hope I'm wrong as I'm so envious of the folk who saw that light show last night!!!

Looking at met office rainfall forecast at 3pm we should see lots of cells across midlands moving northwards into Yorkshire, radar shows absolutely nowt. Still plenty of time but my gut feeling says bust.

• Like 1