Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted

What's a good setup for a amateur to capture some amazing Lightning Strikes, last night I was just using my phone and captured a few strikes and mostly flashes from more distant activity. It didn't do it justice compared to what I saw with my own eyes. 

Some lovely shots in the Bournemouth Echo website, some people clearly on the beach or cliffs snapping away even as it was starting to move inland. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Windblade said:

Excellent advice which has actually made me think of something...perhaps we should start a sticky where people can post the best spots in their area for viewing storms along with what the parking is like (are there car parks, lay bys etc?) and also rate how easy they are to get to/what the traffic is usually like around the area to give people a list of good places local to their area/within reasonable distance to observe storms?

Someone with the know-how could even do a Google Map thingy with pins showing where these spots are :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

The cloud has yet to break here in Derby though it is still very humid with a fresh breeze.I'm just hoping the cloud doesn't scupper our chances later.Not that I'm hoping for much as every event so far has been a let down here this year!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Hope we get more days like this, great buzz in here, like the model output discussion in winter on the rare occasions when snow is imminent!:D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
Just now, Frosty. said:

Hope we get more days like this, great buzz in here, like the model output discussion in winter on the rare occasions when snow is imminent!:D

First rule of snow club!

• Like 2

Posted

such a shame this cloud is really hampering our chances, weather station still saying 25.6c so feeling warm, but i fear no more storms here but cant be greedy, last night was fantastic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Cloud is proving particularly stubborn around my area, still very cloudy in Belper. My thoughts are now that thunderstorms this afternoon/evening will be more NW of here where skies have now cleared. Western and northern parts of the Peak District and places north and west of there appear favoured.

Which means Belper and indeed much of the Midlands could miss out again. I'm ok, I saw the storms last night but I do wonder when the storm drought here will come to an end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Some amazing photo's and video footage posted on here from last night's storms :clap:

for here in deepest, darkest Wiltshire, it was worth the wait....For most of yesterday evening and into the early hours I was in despair seeing storm after storm pass either 50 miles to the west or 50 miles to the east, but around midnight, lightning activity picked up from those very active cells between Bournemouth & Southampton. These storms gradually lifted northwards whilst decaying but from around 2:30 - 4:30am gave some quite impressive amount of lightning with low distant growls of thunder...I checked the radar and live lightning maps and decided to call it a night as the storms were continuing to decay....I couldn't sleep though, so popped out into the garden around 5am for a morning ciggy and cuppa when suddenly my immediate impression was that the world had just blown up!...A huge bolt of lightning hit the fields around 200m from my garden fence line followed instantly by a concussive blast of thunder, I could actually feel the pressure wave!.....Needless to say, in the surrounding houses, lights immediately came on as people woke up obviously thinking like me that an atom bomb had been detonated!......It was the complete surprise of the bolt that scared the beejeesus out of me!......Anyhoos, there were a few more distant growls and that was it, as soon as the storm crossed the M4 a few miles to my north, it died completely

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

The northern half of Wales "may" start to light up soon.

• Like 1

Posted

Even though there's a lack of sun, the temps are still getting to where they were forecast. Sat at 25.5c currently and 58% humidity.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

It's behind you....

Managed to get back to the car before this beast hit shore as I was the tallest thing for miles around.

IMG_20170719_131251141.jpg

Screenshot_20170719-133547.png

• Like 3

Posted

Lol - local BBC weather just played the whole thing down saying that there won't be many storms as they thought?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Still cloudy not much hope of a thunderstorm, hopefully the sun will break up the cloud this afternoon, but I don't think it will, so it's probably just going to be a gloomy and muggy day :angry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the latest radar, north Wales and across the irish sea to dublin and other parts of ireland is where all the action is at the moment..hopefully fresh storms will break out more widely later!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

Looking at the latest radar, north Wales and across the irish sea to dublin and other parts of ireland is where all the action is at the moment..hopefully fresh storms will break out more widely later!

Can confirm some decent CG here and heavy downpours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

The sun has gone hiding and there is quite a lot of cloud filling in. Looks like the building blocks for later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

We'll see about that, Mr Weather App. :/

But I bet the storms will break out North of here leaving the Storm Shield in Solihull and Birmingham (and probably most other areas of the Central/Southern West Midlands) intact!

IMG_0659.PNG

Posted

Humidity is cranking up. Even with a breeze. Each time the sun comes out it's stifling. Sat at 26.6c now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Ahhhh... Edison Lighthouse - Love Grows... A true 70s classic song :D

Sorry, off topic there (ish) but I've just driven into work listening to Gold on the cars MW/AM radio, and there were quite a few sharp sferic crackles on the old wireless... So something's about. :bomb:

I'm probably picking up that storm that's over Snowdonia at the moment.

Its very warm and muggy here at the moment, but still with that notable southerly breeze.

Plus the sun has just come out... Oh boy is it hot in the sun! 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Ahhhh... Edison Lighthouse - Love Grows... A true 70s classic song :D

Sorry, off topic there (ish) but I've just driven into work listening to Gold on the cars MW/AM radio, and there were quite a few sharp sferic crackles on the old wireless... So something's about. :bomb:

I'm probably picking up that storm that's over Snowdonia at the moment.

Its very warm and muggy here at the moment, but still with that notable southerly breeze.

Plus the sun has just come out... Oh boy is it hot in the sun! 

hey mate, the activity is getting closer to you from the southwest. You should be able to see something on the horizon very soon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Around 100,000 strikes in the UK in the last 24 hours, maybe 70,000 in the South and East, 20,000 in the South West, 4,000 in Wales, 40 in the East Midlands, and 1 in the West Midlands, and many more strikes likely to come for the North of England!

IMG_5104.thumb.PNG.255748d823db8f7c65218da8cebd6400.PNG

Edited by xSnow
  • Like 6