Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Hi Chris, I'm in work ATM do you reckon that storm could have our name on it

2 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

This thing is spitting out some very powerful sferics from what I can hear on the radio. About 1 a minute but that's good enough for me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather
2 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

Euro 4 From Mid Afternoon Onwards

Seems to tie in with NE Wales and N England been the main focus

17071915_1900.gif

17071918_1900.gif

17071921_1900.gif

Hope so :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

It seems I slept through what passed our area.  We caught the edge of the storms that initiated over north London to the SW of the MCV around 1 a.m., but on scrolling through the overnight radar, it's evident that they weakened as they approached.  Later-on, we caught the easternmost squall line that had set-up in the Channel durimng the evening, and this brought some heavy rain, and, apparently, a few louder rumbles and visible lightning, though this also failed to wake me for some reason.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
3 minutes ago, Jan said:

Hi Chris, I'm in work ATM do you reckon that storm could have our name on it

Sorry I meant to keep mentioning it in my posts but i'm currently in Holyhead so I'm talking about the storm over Aberdaron which could hit me here if it keeps up. I reckon Liverpool should do well later. :-) 

• Like 1

Posted

I'm in Buxton for 3pm so hoping the storms don't come too soon otherwise i'll need to take the waterproofs, a humid-sultry morning here with this mornings low-cloud lifting to give a few breaks and blue skies. In my 30s now and there's simply not enough coffee in the house to stem my tiredness but luckily I managed a good 5hr sleep since this morning. Throughout all of last night I saw 5-distance cloud flashes before sunrise and that was all we managed here in the Peaks so-far, anticipating events for later on today but my main focus will be on rush-hour Friday afternoon when the next front swings through.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
1 hour ago, xSnow said:

I personally hope that forecast is incorrect (like the last one) and the Storms are slightly further South, into the S Midlands then into the N Midlands, not just the N Midlands! That gives the areas that missed out last night a chance, even in Wales.

personally think we just a little south of where the main activity if any is likely to occur with the focus been further not that a rogue shower/storm cannot be ruled out I think the further north one goes the better the chances

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Torro just issued this - Looking good for the North!

If Euro4 does as well as it did yesterday, I'd be getting quite excited if I lived in Cumbria or Lancs.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Torro just issued this - Looking good for the North!

I cannot see it anybody else having the problem

edit - can see it now it was the noscript extensions for firefox causing the issue

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

For any of these storms to brew there has to be some surface heating and currently (at least here in the west mids) it's covered in thick cloud with little heat reaching the surface, so unless this cloud cover dissipates in some way, then i think many on here (including me), are going to be disappointed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
3 hours ago, Steve Shears said:

That was amazing. The closest to lightning i've ever been....this was Warlingham area (Just oustide Croydon)...

DSC_8321.jpg

DSC_8346.jpg

DSC_8375.jpg

DSC_8455.jpg

DSC_8489.jpg

DSC_8494.jpg

DSC_8524.jpg

Incredible. Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing. :friends:

• Like 4

Posted

Do look to be some really intense cells going up over NW England in particular later on. Then maybe another chance for southern England in the early hours as well. 

cell1.png cell2.png

cell3.png cell4.png

cell5.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Missed both MCS as they went just to the west and east of here last night but still got two decent thunderstorms with lightning every 20 to 30 seconds on the storm around 22:30 with the some of the most beautiful lightning I had ever seen, only CC though which made it really quite relaxing. I do not film thunderstorms anymore as I always felt I had missed out on the storm only to have some footage of lightning which I could easily find better footage online. The storm around 10pm had a gust front and it was quite strong for a few minutes, there was also a messy shelf cloud which freaked me out a bit as I could see vivid lightning above it with no sound of thunder. Overall a decent night here, I would have liked to experienced the '80's' type MCS that went well east of here but I can't complain! 

Edited by Mesoscale
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

For any of these storms to brew there has to be some surface heating and currently (at least here in the west mids) it's covered in thick cloud with little heat reaching the surface, so unless this cloud cover dissipates in some way, then i think many on here (including me), are going to be disappointed.

yep cloudy here too and even some light rain further south near london but it's that light on radar probably not making the ground and also some near exeter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Don't know your age (I'm 43) but this forum does have a lot of younger members that won't remember the regular storms we used to get in the 80's and 90's that were of similar quality and duration as last night (actually, quite a few storms back then were even more impressive). I know we've had some ok storms in recent years that people have raved about, but I've been waiting for years now for something like 'back in the day'. Shame I was too tired to enjoy most of it!

I'm 38 and remember those storms well. They literally lasted all night and were still going at 8.30am the following morning. Last nights storms were on that scale of awesomeness (is that a word) for me. Very reminiscent of those times and it has renewed my faith that there may still be more to come from this year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
9 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Yes there isn't enough surface heating, but to be honest it's looking unlikely that we will get any storms and I suspect the Met Office will remove the Midlands from the warning zone.

Posted

Best Storm I can remember was around 1981 in August that year, was 9 years old and living in Chelmsford at the time. The sky turned milky white after a day of 34c temps. (This I now know were the anvils from the MCS moving up from France)

Then around 10pm first flickering of lightning, then this wnt on for around 7 hours! Yes 7 HOURS!

You could clearly feel each new cell come through at 30 minute intervals with heavy rain and hail and constant lightning.

Now those were the days of Proper Mcs Storms, maybe we are starting to get back to that ?

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather
1 minute ago, Windblade said:

I'm 38 and remember those storms well. They literally lasted all night and were still going at 8.30am the following morning. Last nights storms were on that scale of awesomeness (is that a word) for me. Very reminiscent of those times and it has renewed my faith that there may still be more to come from this year.

I remember them too. We used to get a lot of storms in Dumfries. What happened :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
29 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Same age fella! Not sure I can remember a better storm here tbh.Maybe something equal but that would of been as a child.

Remember seeing a Super cell storm near Hastings in  July 2007.Awe inspiring as a sight that was ( large hail, cloud to cloud lightning, possible tornado or strong gust front) the look and storm itself was other worldly and late afternoon meant that we had daytime darkness.

However last night's episode would be prefered due to all the reasons stated on my original post earlier.

Yes, I think the very far SE has had quite a few impressive storms over recent years but for most of the region, last nights storms were easily the best for quite a few years. 

Happy that you got such a great view last night, bit gutted I was so knackered and missed a lot of the 2nd round! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Damone said:

Oh, and does any one know what that strange swirling, rotating mass of storms was that hit around the London area moving NEwards during the late afternoon/evening? I've never seen anything like that!

Here you go:

19 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Its to do with the system being an MCV (Mesoscale Convective Vortice) an area of surface low pressure within the system, dont know how thats going to affect this going forward though. There was one in Arizona yesterday and over land looked like a land hurricane with spiral clouds, amazing to look at

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Damone said:

Had a very odd day yesterday. We had storms moving up into our town for several hours, giving off distant rumbles of thunder, but the second they'd come to within a mile or so of Falmouth, they'd die. I also feel very sorry for The Lizard that suffered some serious flooding during the afternoon period!

Happily managed to miss the storms entirely last night, but watched them on radar traveling up from the Channel.

Oh, and does any one know what that strange swirling, rotating mass of storms was that hit around the London area moving NEwards during the late afternoon/evening? I've never seen anything like that!

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like a supercell if the whole storm was rotating. If its an area within the storm itself that is rotatiing then that's a mesocyclone I believe (which can produce tornado's).

Edited by Windblade

Posted
Just now, Windblade said:

Sounds like a supercell if the whole storm was rotating.

See my post above.

Posted

Sunny here now and starting to feel humid. 

Also, the wind is lighter than earlier which is a bonus.

• Like 1