Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Anyone got any rain totals from the Worthing area last night? 

Or size of hail?

Was intense stuff. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Some top notch photos on here today well done everyone.

I was woken up by thunder at 5am this morning. Saw a few flashes and heard the growls from the clouds but was nothing special at all. As soon as I looked at the lightning app I got my head back down. 

Lol Bristol 

Screenshot_20170719-050956.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Still all quiet up here, although the sky is very milky with 19C and high humidity. 

The Met Office just updated the warning to include Central Scotland and take out parts of the Midlands I believe? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Something to keep an eye on after the current round of shenanigans is over with

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

DWD ties in fairly well with the MetO warning for later..

Not sure on the Eastern extent further North though.

596f301dc0c5e_2017-07-19(7).thumb.png.edf5e80891e7b1e0f9a4700e9ad83ea0.png

• Like 1

Posted

Had a very odd day yesterday. We had storms moving up into our town for several hours, giving off distant rumbles of thunder, but the second they'd come to within a mile or so of Falmouth, they'd die. I also feel very sorry for The Lizard that suffered some serious flooding during the afternoon period!

Happily managed to miss the storms entirely last night, but watched them on radar traveling up from the Channel.

Oh, and does any one know what that strange swirling, rotating mass of storms was that hit around the London area moving NEwards during the late afternoon/evening? I've never seen anything like that!

• Like 3

Posted

Reckon we might end up up here with thundery rain instead wouldn't say it feels thundery at the moment although it's quite cloudy/breezy

• Like 1

Posted

Hi, Have any good videos surfaced showing the south coast at it's most electric last night, must have been a golden opportunity for some magnificent shots. I've never seen so much Lightning on webcams before like last night or to have it go on as long as it did, felt like 5/6 hours solid in some places, what a show. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Between 11:00 Wed 19th and 23:55 Wed 19th

Further, possibly severe, thunderstorms may break out again this afternoon and evening, probably focused over parts of northeast Wales, central and northern England. Some heavy, thundery rain may also spread into parts of southwest Scotland by this evening although the risk of disruption is lower here than further south. Although some places will miss the thunderstorms, there is a chance of localised sudden flooding of homes, businesses and roads. Frequent lightning and large hail may be additional hazards, the latter bringing potential for disruption to power networks. This warning has been updated to shrink the south of the yellow area (where the risk of disruption in now reducing) whilst also to extend it further north across northern England and into southwest Scotland. The end time has also been extended a little.

dba29e20-44d0-4a6c-a800-3e5638c03a11.thumb.png.2dd18593f025a2dbf0d7345eac4c3ce2.png

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Skies are just dull and grey here at the moment... The sun is trying to burn through... Its warm, but nothing exceptional... Its also really quite breezy.
We really need the sun to break though this grey crud, thus allowing the heat and humidity to build, and then hopefully... :bomb::rolleyes:

For some reason this setup is reminding me of the 22nd of August 2015... Nothing really cleared around here until 14.00 in the afternoon... It was a very hot and humid afternoon... But then oh boy did it go bang in the evening. :bomb::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
16 minutes ago, Damone said:

Had a very odd day yesterday. We had storms moving up into our town for several hours, giving off distant rumbles of thunder, but the second they'd come to within a mile or so of Falmouth, they'd die. I also feel very sorry for The Lizard that suffered some serious flooding during the afternoon period!

Happily managed to miss the storms entirely last night, but watched them on radar traveling up from the Channel.

Oh, and does any one know what that strange swirling, rotating mass of storms was that hit around the London area moving NEwards during the late afternoon/evening? I've never seen anything like that!

About to upload a video I got (as gif) of what I suspect was a supercellular system which led onto the first storms which went up through Winchester, Alton, Bordon & Farnham and then took off over west London and into East Anglia. Was possibly my favourite part of the event - although the lightning I saw at the tail end of the storm over Godalming really was spectacular!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
26 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

Still all quiet up here, although the sky is very milky with 19C and high humidity. 

The Met Office just updated the warning to include Central Scotland and take out parts of the Midlands I believe? 

it just brings the focus of these to north east wales and northern and central england which ties in with other forecasts so nothing particularly new from it

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Skies are just dull and grey here at the moment... The sun is trying to burn through... Its warm, but nothing exceptional... Its also really quite breezy.
We really need the sun to break though this grey crud, thus allowing the heat and humidity to build, and then hopefully... :bomb::rolleyes:

For some reason this setup is reminding me of the 22nd of August 2015... Nothing really cleared around here until 14.00 in the afternoon... It was a very hot and humid afternoon... But then oh boy did it go bang in the evening. :bomb::D

This wind is putting me off more than the cloud. I hope it eases soon.

Some hazy sun here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

On this day 3 years ago there had been thunderstorms over the previous night which left a legacy of cloud the following morning across a swathe of the UK, I am sure some of the posters on here remember it. The cloud hung around here until around 1pm and then some breaks appeared. By 3pm all hell had broken loose as one of the best storms I had witnessed to date at that time moved up from the South Midlands and ran a path through all the Midlands into Yorkshire. There was talk on that day that it was a potential supercell. I see the set up today being quite similar, i.e. just a small amount of surface heating and the atmosphere will go bang.

19-07-14.thumb.png.192fb427c81a98042a2a91faec285d9b.png

www.lightningmaps.org

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Supacell said:

On this day 3 years ago there had been thunderstorms over the previous night which left a legacy of cloud the following morning across a swathe of the UK, I am sure some of the posters on here remember it. The cloud hung around here until around 1pm and then some breaks appeared. By 3pm all hell had broken loose as one of the best storms I had witnessed to date at that time moved up from the South Midlands and ran a path through all the Midlands into Yorkshire. There was talk on that day that it was a potential supercell. I see the set up today being quite similar, i.e. just a small amount of surface heating and the atmosphere will go bang.

Got this radar grab from that storm, doesn't really do it justice 

710.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
32 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

DWD ties in fairly well with the MetO warning for later..

Not sure on the Eastern extent further North though.

596f301dc0c5e_2017-07-19(7).thumb.png.edf5e80891e7b1e0f9a4700e9ad83ea0.png

That literally places the thunderstorms to the North and to the South of my location! I would hope that doesn't come into play, but thankfully it's only a forecast.

2 minutes ago, Supacell said:

19-07-14.thumb.png.192fb427c81a98042a2a91faec285d9b.png

www.lightningmaps.org

I would definitely like a repeat of that!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

There's a storm trying its best to get to me, 40 miles to my south. Wish those annoying RAF Valley jets would go away though. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, StormChaseUK said:

The storm in SE prevented the midlands modelled storms

Please Explain this ?

I posted at 10am yesterday way back on this thread that Euro4 had this nailed with 2 rounds of Storms, the first going up through Cornwall and Devon and onto Ireland which Verified, then the 2nd wave that hit the SE was also modelled correctly. I guess its all down to what models you trust and how you interpret the data to hand. I was not buying some of the models predictions from early yesterday that were saying west is best. We had a screaming ENE yesterday that was piling moisture and running the Theta W plume straight into Central Southern England and SE England, the streamlines were also showing storms at 600/700hpa following this plume, some storms even made it to the 500hpa vector, but none of them showed the steering flow getting to the Midlands. I also did a check on dewpoint/moisture yesterday around 4pm. Dps in the South and South East were low to mid 60's and not mixing out whereas from the Midlands North they were around 50-55f.

Does not take a rocket scientist to work out where the Storms would be

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Got this radar grab from that storm, doesn't really do it justice 

710.jpg

1 minute ago, xSnow said:

That literally places the thunderstorms to the North and to the South of my location! I would hope that doesn't come into play, but thankfully it's only a forecast.

I would definitely like a repeat of that!

It was a great storm. Ironic that 3 years ago today, at this time, I was sitting at my computer bleary eyed after pulling an all-nighter looking for the next swathe of storms. I am doing exactly the same thing now. All 3 of us are in the firing line this afternoon I feel, fingers crossed.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Please Explain this ?

I posted at 10am yesterday way back on this thread that Euro4 had this nailed with 2 rounds of Storms, the first going up through Cornwall and Devon and onto Ireland which Verified, then the 2nd wave that hit the SE was also modelled correctly. I guess its all down to what models you trust and how you interpret the data to hand. I was not buying some of the models predictions from early yesterday that were saying west is best. We had a screaming ENE yesterday that was piling moisture and running the Theta W plume straight into Central Southern England and SE England, the streamlines were also showing storms at 600/700hpa following this plume, some storms even made it to the 500hpa vector, but none of them showed the steering flow getting to the Midlands. I also did a check on dewpoint/moisture yesterday around 4pm. Dps in the South and South East were low to mid 60's and not mixing out whereas from the Midlands North they were around 50-55f.

Does not take a rocket scientist to work out where the Storms would be

... and it was your prediction of around the M11 coupled with the Euro4 charts that helped make my decision to head that way, so thank you for that :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Don't know your age (I'm 43) but this forum does have a lot of younger members that won't remember the regular storms we used to get in the 80's and 90's that were of similar quality and duration as last night (actually, quite a few storms back then were even more impressive). I know we've had some ok storms in recent years that people have raved about, but I've been waiting for years now for something like 'back in the day'. Shame I was too tired to enjoy most of it!

Same age fella! Not sure I can remember a better storm here tbh.Maybe something equal but that would of been as a child.

Remember seeing a Super cell storm near Hastings in  July 2007.Awe inspiring as a sight that was ( large hail, cloud to cloud lightning, possible tornado or strong gust front) the look and storm itself was other worldly and late afternoon meant that we had daytime darkness.

However last night's episode would be prefered due to all the reasons stated on my original post earlier.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Supacell said:

... and it was your prediction of around the M11 coupled with the Euro4 charts that helped make my decision to head that way, so thank you for that :)

No worries buddy glad you had a great chase, wish I could pull all nighters now but am getting too old, this is a young mans game :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

This thing is spitting out some very powerful sferics from what I can hear on the radio. About 1 a minute but that's good enough for me. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Euro 4 From Mid Afternoon Onwards

Seems to tie in with NE Wales and N England been the main focus

17071915_1900.gif

17071918_1900.gif

17071921_1900.gif

Edited by Gordon Webb