Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Woken to many media reports in Sussex of 'the best storm in living memory' last night.

Do I concur? Yes.

Why?

1.The build up over channel,tiny flickers as it turned dark from the building cumulonimbus cloud tops.

2. 23C at 10pm, t shirt and shorts for outside viewing,the very clear conditions,two shooting stars seen in clear skies as the channel storms built.

3.Longevity.Some form of lightning from 930pm until 3am.

4. Back building storms,thinking 'that was it'whilst looking at the NW radar and checking bck to find more to come!

5. As touched on earlier,super visibility meant variety and definition of lightning was truly breathtaking.Every type of lightning on offer.

6.Volume of lightning.In short, never seen so much from my view.At one stage three or four flashes in my skyline per second.

7.constant thunder,raindrops the size of the palm of my hand.

8.Cloud structures lit by lightning.Rarely seen during nightime uk storms.

9.The aftermath.Lightning strikes reported locally by media,A warehouse still well ablaze this morning,flash flooding.

10.A lifetime of memories.Thankyou Weather Gods

This was similar to quite a few storms I witnessed in the 80's and 90's. It's wonderful when the lightning lights up detailed cloud structures. Our storm drought has ended at last! Hopefully a lot more storms to come this summer and the next few :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Some great photos coming through folks! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
11 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Woken to many media reports in Sussex of 'the best storm in living memory' last night.

Do I concur? Yes.

Why?

1.The build up over channel,tiny flickers as it turned dark from the building cumulonimbus cloud tops.

2. 23C at 10pm, t shirt and shorts for outside viewing,the very clear conditions,two shooting stars seen in clear skies as the channel storms built.

3.Longevity.Some form of lightning from 930pm until 3am.

4. Back building storms,thinking 'that was it'whilst looking at the NW radar and checking bck to find more to come!

5. As touched on earlier,super visibility meant variety and definition of lightning was truly breathtaking.Every type of lightning on offer.

6.Volume of lightning.In short, never seen so much from my view.At one stage three or four flashes in my skyline per second.

7.constant thunder,raindrops the size of the palm of my hand.

8.Cloud structures lit by lightning.Rarely seen during nightime uk storms.

9.The aftermath.Lightning strikes reported locally by media,A warehouse still well ablaze this morning,flash flooding.

10.A lifetime of memories.Thankyou Weather Gods

Thought i saw some shooting stars last night, thought i was seeing things.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like an incredible night down south last night. Today is eyes up north and out west. I'm hoping I'm sat slap bang in the perfect spot for some possible storms today. Some going for severe ones?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

Looks like an incredible night down south last night. Today is eyes up north and out west. I'm hoping I'm sat slap bang in the perfect spot for some possible storms today. Some going for severe ones?

Forecast I saw on BBC said mid-north Wales through N Midlands into Southern Northern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

All my moaning and negativity in this forum paid off big time. Others should give it a try. ;) 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Forecast I saw on BBC said mid-north Wales through N Midlands into Southern Northern England

Which once again (if the forecast is accurate) will miss this area entirely. I'm really starting to hate living round here. The moon would probably be a more interesting place to live for weather than here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

The Estofex and Netweather storm forecasts are really quite different. The first has the risk area mostly to the West whilst the other has the risk area mostly to the East. I personally think the West will see more activity, and hopefully the Midlands - but that probably won't happen! :nonono:

596f20b198c21_ScreenShot2017-07-19at10_02_33.thumb.png.6c4c58ae4e26e898abd9898d6e44bbb3.png2017072006_201707182311_2_stormforecast.xml.thumb.png.8264475cd7a0247349675feb9333c820.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Which once again (if the forecast is accurate) will miss this area entirely. I'm really starting to hate living round here. The moon would probably be a more interesting place to live for weather than here.

Than Walsall?.  Yeah probably right.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
13 minutes ago, Another Kent clipper said:

Meanwhile in Manchester I've given up and started to make my own lightning

SVID_20170719_095428.mp4

I like that

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
10 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I personally hope that forecast is incorrect (like the last one) and the Storms are slightly further South, into the S Midlands then into the N Midlands, not just the N Midlands! That gives the areas that missed out last night a chance, even in Wales.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

I'm at work from 3pm so will get loads of storms probably :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
3 minutes ago, xSnow said:

The Estofex and Netweather storm forecasts are really quite different. The first has the risk area mostly to the West whilst the other has the risk area mostly to the East. I personally think the West will see more activity, and hopefully the Midlands - but that probably won't happen! :nonono:

596f20b198c21_ScreenShot2017-07-19at10_02_33.thumb.png.6c4c58ae4e26e898abd9898d6e44bbb3.png2017072006_201707182311_2_stormforecast.xml.thumb.png.8264475cd7a0247349675feb9333c820.png

perhaps the East one is based where temps should be a bit higher than the rest of the uk , as these charts should show

ukmaxtemp.png

ukmaxtemp2.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

What a shame it turned out to be nothing here.
Weather forecasts went from hours after hours of thunder and rain to a small shower at 6 this morning.

Can never trust any of the charts, models and forecasts for this area. Its always wrong.

Today again it shows thunder and rain. I bet nothing happens here.

Edit: Current forecast for here is from 13:00 to 17:00 80% storms..

Translation:  Sunshine

Edited by Lynxus
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
3 minutes ago, Lynxus said:

What a shame it turned out to be nothing here.
Weather forecasts went from hours after hours of thunder and rain to a small shower at 6 this morning.

Can never trust any of the charts, models and forecasts for this area. Its always wrong.

Today again it shows thunder and rain. I bet nothing happens here.

Some storms skimmed South of here in parts of Bristol, so I saw a few distant flashes. I was feeling more optimistic when I saw that rash of storms flare up in the channel, but unfortunately they were steered too much NE as they moved up. I don't know if this was expected or not, because most of the models in the morning were showing something much different and caught up as they day and evening went on. Shows how difficult it is to forecast this kind of thing and always always comes to watching the skies and radar...

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

This was similar to quite a few storms I witnessed in the 80's and 90's. It's wonderful when the lightning lights up detailed cloud structures. Our storm drought has ended at last! Hopefully a lot more storms to come this summer and the next few :)

Without the benefit of radar and other modern tech in the 80s it made me realise as I occasionally viewed the radar last night it was the sort of South coast storm we had plenty of back then.Remember my Dad referring to 'back building' storms as they rumbled on for much of the night.

Very tempted to 'down modern day tools' last night, I felt transported back to those days as a kid by it...part of me didn't want to know what was going to happen next.

As I said earlier, not easily impressed by storms to be fair, think I gave a storm here 6/10 back in late May early June that most folk locally raved about.

However last night's ticked every box on the quality control list!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
1 minute ago, Chris K said:

Some storms skimmed South of here in parts of Bristol, so I saw a few distant flashes. I was feeling more optimistic when I saw that rash of storms flare up in the channel, but unfortunately they were steered too much NE as they moved up. I don't know if this was expected or not, because most of the models in the morning were showing something much different and caught up as they day and evening went on. Shows how difficult it is to forecast this kind of thing and always always comes to watching the skies and radar...

Yes, 100% its always a case of nowcasting. However when you see storm watches, models and even the met-office show the west as being battered.. It always winds me up when it goes east over london way.

8/10 times It will go east.

Today again, it shows a good chance, yet I can be sure that NOTHING will happen.

The river severn and the small landmass to the the SW i think makes a huge difference and the models dont account for it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

And here is my video from last night.

https://youtu.be/VyVhmMl6gFE

Edited by Lauren
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Without the benefit of radar and other modern tech in the 80s it made me realise as I occasionally viewed the radar last night it was the sort of South coast storm we had plenty of back then.Remember my Dad referring to 'back building' storms as they rumbled on for much of the night.

Very tempted to 'down modern day tools' last night, I felt transported back to those days as a kid by it...part of me didn't want to know what was going to happen next.

As I said earlier, not easily impressed by storms to be fair, think I gave a storm here 6/10 back in late May early June that most folk locally raved about.

However last night's ticked every box on the quality control list!

Don't know your age (I'm 43) but this forum does have a lot of younger members that won't remember the regular storms we used to get in the 80's and 90's that were of similar quality and duration as last night (actually, quite a few storms back then were even more impressive). I know we've had some ok storms in recent years that people have raved about, but I've been waiting for years now for something like 'back in the day'. Shame I was too tired to enjoy most of it!

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3

Posted

Absolutely diddle-squat for us in the north and northwest overnight bar a few cloud-flashes in the far-distance, there should be a new rule put in place after last night where anytime the north gets a decent storm and someone in the south instantly complains it..as in "the south never gets anything" they get a temporary-ban for the day. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Don't know your age (I'm 43) but this forum does have a lot of younger members that won't remember the regular storms we used to get in the 80's and 90's that were of similar quality and duration as last night (actually, quite a few storms back then were even more impressive). I know we've had some ok storms in recent years that people have raved about, but I've been waiting for years now for something like 'back in the day'. Shame I was too tired to enjoy most of it!

Last night was something else, started seeing lightning at around 8:30pm went to sleep at about 11pm still seeing lightning woke up at 2am to the best lightning display in a long time and the rain was intense! 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Surrey said:

Last night was something else, started seeing lightning at around 8:30pm went to sleep at about 11pm still seeing lightning woke up at 2am to the best lightning display in a long time and the rain was intense! 

Glad you enjoyed it mate! Was a fantastic night for most of our region. Great to see storms that were like the ones I remember.

• Like 2