Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

My goodness, good decision to go to sleep. Waking up to an absolute pearler!!! Very tasty CG just blinded me!! 

Posted

2 hours on I can still see some bright flashes with clear skies, I can easily see the edge of the storm to where the strikes are coming from now. Still doesnt appear to be moving northwards, wish I went to sleep and just woke up now lol

Edited by TJS1998Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Well..... our storm shield seem to have seen them babies off

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

Heavy rain over chelmsley by the looks....cells and clouds seem to be travelling due west now

Please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Time to sleep, major disappointment but what can you expect when you live in the heart of the biggest storm shield in the UK. Sure, a few heavy showers managed to develop just to the North of me but they somehow avoided me, and I didn't observe any thunder. Everything is starting to weaken now, so no point in staying up any longer. It always amazes me how much action the East gets in comparison, but how close it is in reality.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms
52 minutes ago, Jcweather said:

Starting to move away now. Not sure how long it had been going before it woke me up but my parents said they'd been hearing thunder for about an hour.

Probably our best storm of 2017 so far, and our 10th day of thunder of the year. Not bad.

Now the simple matter of getting back to sleep...

Here just across the water on sheppey we have had it for well over an hour torrential rain I am 43 and I can say I've never seen anything like that before.

Posted

It's a coolish wind outside but the atmosphere feels very 'wet' with low-clouds hanging just below the summits of the Peaks now, MetO forecast had a convective-line of storms running through the Midlands at Midnight which only just got started around 3am, clinging onto the hope that once the sun rises it can initiate further convection with the aid of all this moisture and humidity that's build up here.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Ricepilot said:

Long time lurker here but the storm that just passed overhead rather made me sign up to share my experience...

Arriving home from work I caught a bit of mammatus cloud which I've never seen before so my hopes were high that I would see a storm local to me.

What a beast it turned out to be! I've seen many a continental Europe storm and even African storms but all never matched this storm. I've put myself into storms before but this was the first time I felt genuinely nervous. I've never seen such frequency of CG's dropping into the fields around me. I was unable to retrieve the camera from the roof of the car for about 20 minutes. After a four year drought of storms during darkness hours this was worth the wait.

I captured lightning on every single one of my photos as it was so frequent. I've uploaded a couple pics below, and a few more can be found here on this link https://flic.kr/s/aHskZJddAX

Later today I'll hope to have posted the video from the camera on the roof of the car but for now its bedtime!

Lightning (1 of 10).jpg

Lightning (6 of 10).jpg

Lightning (7 of 10).jpg

Lightning (9 of 10).jpg

Fantastic pictures - well done.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Barrowby, (nr. Grantham) Sth Lincs (200ft ASL- ish)
  • Weather Preferences: The worse the better!
12 minutes ago, Ricepilot said:

Long time lurker here but the storm that just passed overhead rather made me sign up to share my experience...

Arriving home from work I caught a bit of mammatus cloud which I've never seen before so my hopes were high that I would see a storm local to me.

What a beast it turned out to be! I've seen many a continental Europe storm and even African storms but all never matched this storm. I've put myself into storms before but this was the first time I felt genuinely nervous. I've never seen such frequency of CG's dropping into the fields around me. I was unable to retrieve the camera from the roof of the car for about 20 minutes. After a four year drought of storms during darkness hours this was worth the wait.

I captured lightning on every single one of my photos as it was so frequent. I've uploaded a couple pics below, and a few more can be found here on this link https://flic.kr/s/aHskZJddAX

Later today I'll hope to have posted the video from the camera on the roof of the car but for now its bedtime!

Hi Ricepiolot!

Beautiful shots there :drinks:

I'm also a long time lurker...11 years so far, hehe.

The things we do for a shot, I remember many years ago being parked on a hill in Derbyshire somewhere, too petrified to step out the car because of the static on the radio.... not on the Medium wave bands.... UHF! For those that don't know, the higher up in frequency you go, the bigger or closer the spark has to be to be heard on the radio, so if you have a close (say5 miles) storm, you can pick it up on VHF (say 100MHz ish). Well, this was a ticking noise, gradually gaining in pace on 400Mhz ish....:help: (and EVERYTHING below!)

What was basically happening was the atmosphere around me was so highly charged, the aerial on the car was acting like a Lightning Arrester, discharging it to the ground....wierd.

Only ever happened to me a handful of times, but every time it does, I figure I'm better off inside the Faraday cage, than out of it, lol.

Anyway...

I've been up since about 0330 here, a few flashes near-by but nothing else. I have a line of something developing to the South East, but I fear it is far too light for any proper photographs, only phone based stuff.

I am secretly hoping for some really heavy rain, as my next door neighbour decided last week that his section of roadside ditch was too, well, ditch-like, and has made it look all lovely and landscaped....and flat....however, mine (up-stream) is still very much ditch like in capacity.... I'm quite keen to see how that works out. I suspect most of his landscaping will end up further down the hill at some point today, money doesn't buy brains.

Good luck all!

• Like 2

Posted

Started to rain now in south Brum......filling with low cloud traveling to the West

Suns up in about 20 mins so will wait and see if there`s any effect

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

What a storm that was. It's nights like this where I wish I had taken the day off though! Feel like I may have missed half of it!! 

Over 30,000 strikes in the last hour too. That is incredible! A full blown MCS has been well overdue. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 1

Posted

Nice one Tom...cracking photo

edit; hopefully their on the way up the M5

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Storm free night as expected. Just a question whether the front in the west produces anthing when it moves east as the day goes on.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Absolutely crazy, i'm counting that as a storm, fortunately, i have taken the day off. Sorry EES:oops:

Damn you!! :rofl:

so glad I got my storm fix nevertheless. Got treated to two infact, the first one being that unique MCV!! Can't say I've ever seen one of them here in the UK before!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The worse the better!

Ermm, You might want to get the washing in if you're in the Bristol area, lol! :help:

d2cebeafc1844452990c9b66e51270e3.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Phew just got back indoors, pretty good night with the little chap coming up from Essex, mostly CC and very pretty. Hung around to see if the south coast affair would arrive, which it duly did but with rather a whimper compared to its earlier shenanigans, with the bulk of the action away to the east; torrential rain for a time and the sky had a greenish tinge which had me worried for a bit but luckily It avoided me....I thought I'd try for some semi daytime pics but sod's law meant that I didn't because the lightning was so infrequent and with random timings!

• Like 2