Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes, snow, thunder, hot heat, ice cold, etc

Wow wow wow this storm... it's amazing, constant flashes deluge of tropical style rain, pink lightning too, and like every type of thunder low long grumbles crackles booming omg this storm is gonna take some beating, my poor kitty snuggled under my arm, he don't seem to like it haha xxx 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, snowprincesspboro said:

Wow wow wow this storm... it's amazing, constant flashes deluge of tropical style rain, pink lightning too, and like every type of thunder low long grumbles crackles booming omg this storm is gonna take some beating, my poor kitty snuggled under my arm, he don't seem to like it haha xxx 

Gaahhh I can see it from here in Skellingthorpe 50 miles away, why cant it move 50 miles up lol

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

One of the best thunderstorms I've ever seen. Still flashing away multiple times a minute but now tailing off here in NW Kent. Not exaggerating when I say we had around 45 minutes with lightning every c.5/10 seconds.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Like taking candy from a baby tonight!

IMG_5413.JPG

If you don't mind me asking Paul, what camera settings do you recommend using for lightning photography? Tonight I've been using ISO200, f-stop between 16-25 and an exposure time of around 15-20 seconds. I've managed two photos I'm happy with but the rest have come out kind of sub standard. Am I in the right ballpark or is there something I'm missing? Many thanks if you can give me some pointers. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Some brilliant lightning and thunder here in Basingstoke at the moment. Piddling down too.

Posted
Just now, Paul Roberts said:

If you don't mind me asking Paul, what camera settings do you recommend using for lightning photography? Tonight I've been using ISO200, f-stop between 16-25 and an exposure time of around 15-20 seconds. I've managed two photos I'm happy with but the rest have come out kind of sub standard. Am I in the right ballpark or is there something I'm missing? Many thanks if you can give me some pointers. 

Pretty much bang on mate - I use between F7 And F11 with about 10-15 second exposures and ISO 100 AND 200

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Rain now stopped, still random lightning. Can now see flashes on the horizon towards the west, wondering should I stay or should I go now?

Posted
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Pretty much bang on mate - I use between F7 And F11 with about 10-15 second exposures and ISO 100 AND 200

Great stuff. I'll alter my f-stop a little and see if that gets me better results. Much appreciated. 

Posted

What makes energy transfer around a storm cell? Just when it seemed a pink core was on a direct path it died out only to be replaced by a pink core a little further East. 

Getting rogue overhead flashes from the decaying core which was far more active on approach.

Wouldn't bet against the energy transferring back again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Wooooo! 

Woken about half an hour ago to an awesome storm! Frequent, strobe like lightning, loud, booming thunder and even a positive CG not long ago! Awesome! 

I should be asleep but that's not happening...!

• Like 1

Posted

Unfortunately this far-north it's starting to get that time in the morning when we lose the darkness and it gets increasingly hard to see any lightning unless it's almost above, hopefully if things can sustain themselves the warmth of the rising sun can at least keep things going and i'll at least get a better view of the structures underneath.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, SNOW_JOKE said:

Unfortunately this far-north it's starting to get that time in the morning when we lose the darkness and it gets increasingly hard to see any lightning unless it's almost above, hopefully if things can sustain themselves the warmth of the rising sun can at least keep things going and i'll at least get a better view of the structures underneath.

The storms today doesnt seem to want to move any further North from Peterborough :/ I'm hoping we still get something, I'd like to sleep but I dont want to miss out smh. We should be good for darkness for another hour or so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Hmmm my van is rocking with a sudden appearance of strong winds. Ni funny comments.. Is this inflow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Starting to move away now. Not sure how long it had been going before it woke me up but my parents said they'd been hearing thunder for about an hour.

Probably our best storm of 2017 so far, and our 10th day of thunder of the year. Not bad.

Now the simple matter of getting back to sleep...

• Like 1

Posted

Things are really starting to quieten down here. The rain is easing and the lightning is a lot less frequent. Still getting some very bright flashes though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Active storms look to nail Bristol in the next few hours, enjoy it while it's there boys as not home to see it myself! 

Posted
15 minutes ago, Vikki Roche said:

This has to be the best storm I've seen in years. Lots of lightning and really loud thunder!

Definitely not here I’m not far from you? Pretty bog standard round these parts N/NW Kent seem to have done well! There was one terrific gunshot boom of thunder incredibly loud it must have woke the whole square up. Very underwhelmed I don’t know what it is but the beefy charged stuff always seems to track east or west of here it has been a poor year so far. Goodnight folks signing out. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

High cloud beginning to fill in over brum atm......a couple of cells to the direct South and east of me....just need them to ignite....please

• Like 2

Posted

I can see some clear skies coming through as the moon is in sight, but still distant flashes with the cloud in the distance, not sure whether to call it a night now, whether the cloud is heading in our direction or just moving east idk

Edited by TJS1998Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Looks like that small cell that built up directly over me has started giving off a few sferics.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

High cloud beginning to fill in over brum atm......a couple of cells to the direct South and east of me....just need them to ignite....please

Me too, even though I'd been contemplating having a snooze.

• Like 1