Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
10 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

How far NNE are these likely to get? I know it wont reach as far as me lol, interesting to know though

If I recall correctly from earlier forecasting efforts, whatever hangs on should reach as far as East Yorkshire by mid-late morning tomorrow, maybe even a bit further than that before going too far to the east for most.

Getting that 'big one' feel here now; lightning of one variety or another every 4-10 seconds including one a few minutes ago that chained for a full 3 seconds.

Rain has set in too but only moderate. Could get a whole lot more intense later - seeing some cores reaching over 150 mm/hr on NW Radar which is as much as I've ever witnessed first-hand.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

No point dragging the night out for us in the NW, i'm getting a few more hours of shut-eye and cooling the PC down as the CPU fan is struggling with the inside heat at the moment.

Im with you on that one mate, this is torture, im off to bed with fingers crossed for tomorrow afternoon!

Have fun everyone down south!

Some good lightning on this cam

http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Singularity said:

If I recall correctly from earlier forecasting efforts, whatever hangs on should reach as far as East Yorkshire by mid-late morning tomorrow, maybe even a bit further than that before going too far to the east for most.

Getting that 'big one' feel here now; lightning of one variety or another every 4-10 seconds including one a few minutes ago that chained for a full 3 seconds.

Rain has set in too but only moderate. Could get a whole lot more intense later - seeing some cores reaching over 150 mm/hr on NW Radar which is as much as I've ever witnessed first-hand.

Oh, so maybe these are whats left from the 4-7am storms that tracks over us in Lincoln?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I have seen 3 storms tonight, one way to my west, another quite close and now one far to the south! Its been a great night, Anyone know why the majority of storms in our areas occur at night? 

Edited by Mesoscale
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

If this is what you get with a 0% chance of thunder according to will it thunder , goodness knows what 100% is like!

Edited by tomp456
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Those storms heading towards London look incredible, will certainly be a good show for those who catch it and they are still developing! As for me, it's looking dire but I will stick around as who knows what could happen.

RDT_2017719_0045.thumb.jpg.620fc3d321fad64314585bbf1ed53a01.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Constantly flashing to my South and SWest. Every 3-5 seconds ... I ain't gonna get much sleep ...! Going to try and get half hour in now though ...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Heavy rain now!!

and hail

but no flying cows just yet 

Edited by tomp456
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Do these things actually want to come ashore? At this rate we'll be enjoying thundersnow...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Constantly flashing to my South and SWest. Every 3-5 seconds ... I ain't gonna get much sleep ...! Going to try and get half hour in now though ...

You wouldn't get much if you were here at the moment. Almost constant lightning and really heavy rain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, Norfolk Sheep said:

Do these things actually want to come ashore? At this rate we'll be enjoying thundersnow...

The one down here is trying. 

Posted

I can just sense a constant but very very quiet growl, started raining here, hopefully I won't have to experience what it is like to be in a house struck by lightning directly again, had it twice already

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

Can anyone confirm if they just heard Thunder towards Heathrow sort of way, Lightning Map has a couple of strikes a lot closer to home than I expected. 

Nothing to the west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
1 minute ago, Gavin Plummer said:

The most amazing storm here in Haverhill. Incredible!!!!

maybe it can manage to limp a bit nearer to Wymondham and produce a flash every 10 to 20 mins, I have a doozy of a parking spot with a 360 degree view!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bigguscumulus said:

Really spooky distant lightning to the south still. Managed to get a screen grab. Doesn't seem to originate from anything on radar.

Screengrab.png

Sprites?

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, bigguscumulus said:

Really spooky distant lightning to the south still. Managed to get a screen grab. Doesn't seem to originate from anything on radar.

Screengrab.png

that'll be the cells around swansea i expect

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
7 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I don't think that I have ever witnessed a storm in the U.K. With such frequent lightning. Amazing spectacle!

Never,maybe as a child some 30 yes back.Never seen such variety of lightning so clearly too.3Hrs of it now and still going.

Posted

Just got back from a chase which saw me plot up at Great dunmow and what a Great storm it was, some insane Cg's and lovely structure for the Uk. Was with Peter Scott who has an uber expensive camera so will share the structure pics when he uploads them. Now heading south and can see Cg's from a full 70 miles away to my south from the Brighton Storms. Madness

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Lightning more frequent, but nothing compared to what you folks in the south and south east are experiencing but it's getting closer . 

Ive spotted another cell creeping into the south west . Will be interesting to see what track this takes .