Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Flashes literally going off left, right and centre now....it was all out west, then it hit us overhead briefly....now I can see spectacular flashes eastwards over Gtr London area and north towards Watford/Luton....

Ok here is two photos from my not so great video but this is what I was referring to IE the dramatic wind and low-hanging cloud....

Storm_18.07.2017.jpgStorm_18.07.2017b.jpg

Video attached....excuse my language....can't describe the exhilaration I get from seeing that lightning! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZFecHIAYos

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I can see the rain coming because the street lights are illuminating the rain curtain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sat on the clifftop and there's loads of lightning off the the coast. More or less constant flashes to the south. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted

Would be nice to get a storm here tonight, willing to chase if they don't take too long to get here, although the stuff off the coast looks to miss the W Mids to our east (to my untrained eye). Haven't had anything notable here since 2015

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Can't work out if the stuff in the Channel is heading north or slightly north east? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
Just now, Gord said:

Sadly, that one isn't for us. Looking increasingly like we may get to choose one from that batch in the channel instead though. Would be good to break our 2017 duck. 

Yeah, sorry, the stuff from the channel was the storms I was referring to. Should have made that more clear :)

That large storm around the London area does look impressive though. Imagine that being over the West Midlands (but what would the chances of having a storm like that over us be, lol. Probably a good thing it's missing here, though, considering the possible damage that MCS could be causing). Still it would be nice to have it close enough to see the flashes etc.

And indeed! Just been a really bad year for storms in our part and it would be nice to get released from the pesky No Storms Club!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Got a pretty cool view of the storm north of london. As expected it went mad. eyes to the south over the next 2 hours!

edit: just seen the lightning rate on the channel stuff. 

Edited by John Hodgson
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

The extent of those storms in the channel is remarkable! Going all the way from Plymouth to Brighton.Very impressive stuff... distant lightning flashes here..... for now.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
2 minutes ago, Gord said:

Sadly, that one isn't for us. Looking increasingly like we may get to choose one from that batch in the channel instead though. Would be good to break our 2017 duck. 

Same here Gord no storm here for the last 2 years.My lad is going on 30 months and has  still seen no thunder or lightning.Mind you he hasn't seen any snow yet either.This country is getting boring for even the most basic weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow and photographically interesting weather
6 minutes ago, snowprincesspboro said:

Can tell you all for sure there is more lightning than is being picked up on radars, I'm laying in bed with my window facing the perfect direction and can see flashes every couple of mins that are not showing up on any detector, not bad considering how far away it is from here 

I thought I saw some flashes to the south of Peterborough a few minutes ago as well

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sitting here by the back door, citronella based body oils on (the little sods are flying about) and there's still flashing up in the sky.

Getting the briefest of showers from what look like AcCas piles drifting past. Definitely turning more unstable up there

• Like 2

Posted

This is so tense, hopefully it doesnt head east as it reaches Boston like they usually do. I may be in with a chance in a few hours time

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

Flashes literally going off left, right and centre now....it was all out west, then it hit us overhead briefly....now I can see spectacular flashes eastwards over Gtr London area and north towards Watford/Luton....

Ok here is two photos from my not so great video but this is what I was referring to IE the dramatic wind and low-hanging cloud....

Storm_18.07.2017.jpgStorm_18.07.2017b.jpg

Video attached....excuse my language....can't describe the exhilaration I get from seeing that lightning! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZFecHIAYos

lol you swear like a jaffa cakesed sailor lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: coldy

It doesn't seem to want to come any closer at the moment, come on I've got to be up early!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

all so so near... yet can see nor hear anything

IMG_0673.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Is it just me or can anyone else see the Kelvin-Helmhotz style curves in the line of Channel storms??

image.png

• Like 3

Posted

Slow moving buggers aren't they, 20kts, speed of a ferry

My flat overlooks the sea and I face SW towards the IOW incoming, believe it or not, there's very little to see...

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, DiagonalRedLine said:

Yeah, sorry, the stuff from the channel was the storms I was referring to. Should have made that more clear :)

That large storm around the London area does look impressive though. Imagine that being over the West Midlands (but what would the chances of having a storm like that over us be, lol. Probably a good thing it's missing here, though, considering the possible damage that MCS could be causing). Still it would be nice to have it close enough to see the flashes etc.

And indeed! Just been a really bad year for storms in our part and it would be nice to get released from the pesky No Storms Club!

Feel like we're paying for June 2016 when we had some kind of storm nearly everyday for about a week! 

Really hard to tell if we're going to get in on this. There could be further development yet which could secure a hit for us. That's been known to happen in the past. If something can get into the Cardiff-Bristol-Bath corridor then we'd be looking pretty good. Right now though, its just a bit too squeaky bum! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

quite remarkable....just went outside for a cheeky smoke and I can see distant flickers of lightning from the MCS N/NW of London. The nearest strikes from that must 60+ miles away from me!

Eyes now firmly peeled to the south now as those channel storm start to make landfall and push northwards....Skies are clear now here apart from the east where the anvil from the MCS is visible.....should hopefully see some flickers of lightning from the south in the next hour or so

• Like 1