Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I'm just east of daventry sat on the front deck and can see massive cross sky lightning to the south east, every two or three minutes. 

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: coldy

Lightning to my south and west! Beautiful looking and heading in my general direction too!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

This is awesome - on and off rain, regular lightning flashes to my W and NW and to my S it's all going a bit nuts :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

That's what I hope will come and give our West Midlands Storm Shield a good ol' thump!

Sadly, that one isn't for us. Looking increasingly like we may get to choose one from that batch in the channel instead though. Would be good to break our 2017 duck. 

Posted

My assumption is that the MCS north west of London is producing lightning, but it's elevated and not being detected in the right numbers?

• Like 1

Posted

Guessing low cape amounts are the reason why not so much lightning is being picked up from this current cell? Perhaps it could go out with a bang later tonight? Doesnt seem to be much lightning compared to earlier atm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

EGLL (London Heathrow)
Due to a very severe thunderstorm that passed through EGLL recently, there is a subsequent issue regarding the departure sequence. Many flights have been suspended, and there are currently numerous DPI messages that are acting as delay messages in our system. The sequence should return to normal in a short time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)
3 minutes ago, TropicThunder said:

Just seen another flash out my window, round two incoming!

Seen a few flashes sat in the garden wish I didn't have work tomorrow or I would head to the seafront!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
Just now, Darren Bown said:

My assumption is that the MCS north west of London is producing lightning, but it's elevated and not being detected in the right numbers?

Indeed, Heathrow based meteorologists have called it a very severe thunderstorm that suspended the airport.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and extreme weather

Nothing in Swindon, fingers crossed for the storms in the Channel 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lightning from the monster storm to my N/NE has gone mental. Nearly every second now! Gorgeous.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes, snow, thunder, hot heat, ice cold, etc

Can tell you all for sure there is more lightning than is being picked up on radars, I'm laying in bed with my window facing the perfect direction and can see flashes every couple of mins that are not showing up on any detector, not bad considering how far away it is from here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
3 minutes ago, saint said:

Around this way there is quite a bit of lightning in that huge cell, but a lot of it is cloud-cloud.

Haven't seen one CG yet most of the stuff over me is elevated 

Posted

only problem i see in this kind of weather watching ... is the bloody boil in the bag weather ...i swear i just heard my old humidity gauge creek and groan

Posted

Met Office is hinting at a line of storms initiating through the Midlands into the NW any-time now looking at the forecast model compared to the latest RADAR output. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The amount of lightning from each cell close to me, is nuts! I can't turn my head fast enough.

• Like 4

Posted

Well Ill happily eat my hat from earlier on. I thought the first band would fizzle and leave the main affiar for the stuff in the channel now.

We had some very intense rain for at least 30 minutes, extremely gusty, if anything there was an element of rotation, but noting major and certainly nothing to hot the ground. What must have been impressive was the height of the system, Despite extremely frequent and bright flashing, the vast majority was intracloud and the actual loudness of the claps was rumbling rather than the sharp cracking you get when it is lower. I am not surprised it has disrupted Heathrow's easterly ops tonight and they will be playing catchup for an hour or two I suspect.

The stuff in the channel now has some real potential I suspect.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, snowprincesspboro said:

Can tell you all for sure there is more lightning than is being picked up on radars, I'm laying in bed with my window facing the perfect direction and can see flashes every couple of mins that are not showing up on any detector, not bad considering how far away it is from here 

Ooh, heat lightning perhaps? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Very small cell popped out of nowhere in north devon, random!

Posted

Nothing here at all ' still warm and humid with temp at 22.6c . some gusts at times with some high bubbly cloud ' would love to see some good lightning though ' But will SE WALES GET SOME ?:cc_confused: