Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Bordon died off :-(

QUICK! Back to Butser!!!!

Reckon pompey a3 corridor will get some more, I can see those channel island ones hitting bournemouth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

@CaptainHappy Are the first few at Barton on Sea?

I saw quite a few people on the clifftop taking pictures. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

My guess this big chuck maybe the big event but it will continue NNE in direction and could grow and be quite an eventful night for many?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Just got home from a little drive around town, nice to have a direct hit but tbh the rain was more noteworthy than the lightning.  Some absolutely torrential downpours and some of the major routes into the city turned into rivers and barely passable. A bit disappointed the lightning wasn't more frequent, only one or two strikes per minute, but can't complain really and also had some mammatus on the back edge of the storm too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Something shift a bit more,eastwards,and come to West Sussex!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
2 minutes ago, Petorious said:

My guess this big chuck maybe the big event but it will continue NNE in direction and could grow and be quite an eventful night for many?

Think you could be right

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Good evening all! 

I have an announcement to make: I am presently in south Bucks after a long day at work and looking at the radar, it appears this storm is heading right for us?! 

Let's wait and see about that.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I think I am giving up ... to be honest I am really struggling to figure out which way all these storms are going. Just look at those in the Channel now for example near Cherbourg - one storm is heading NE - the other back North West! And those off the West of Cornwall...

My assumption is it is do to with the steering winds - but it is all over the place with the main activity heading on a much more NE path overall than I expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Just heard a faint rumble to the southwest from the cumulonimbus clouds I mentioned earlier!

Shows my cloud watching works, glad I kept an eye out for those clouds else I would have missed that.

EDIT:

Still feel not much is going to happen here, but I hope our turn is indeed for later this evening.

Posted
Just now, Chris K said:

I think I am giving up ... to be honest I am really struggling to figure out which way all these storms are going. Just look at those in the Channel now for example near Cherbourg - one storm is heading NE - the other back North West! And those off the West of Cornwall...

My assumption is it is do to with the steering winds - but it is all over the place with the main activity heading on a much more NE path overall than I expected.

After the models the past few days I was sure that it was going to be more on the West side of the country, but atm it seems to be edging more North even avoiding the main part of London

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
2 minutes ago, CaptainHappy said:

Certainly are! Should have probably gone a tad further west to Christchurch

What are your thoughts about what's brewing in the channel?  I have my camera gear at the ready if it comes this way.

If any of you fine people find yourself at mudeford Quay in a storm and see a very excited person taking photos next to a red Nissan note, it's probably me lol 

And if you're a fellow storm enthusiast, do say hello :D

• Like 1

Posted

The movement is really unpredictable on this thing, it's no wonder the models have a hard time. If only the general public could grasp this - tonight would be a great example of why storms aren't so easily forecast.

• Like 2

Posted

Think I'm going to give up for while - this band of pfffft is blocking any view of the W London cell which ordinarily I'd have a great vantage point. Let's hope over the next few hours this lot can clear and a more pronounced area can fire...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

The storm has now cleared to the north. Getting distant rumbles still but the rain has eased considerably and the sky is starting to clear to the south. 

Posted

No, it's definitely got a rotation going. I was on the edge of the rain and thought it was just going to skirt me, but  now it's moving N rather than NE. The lighning seems to be further SE though. Oh as I spak we have thunder!

Posted
8 minutes ago, Jcweather said:

Think you could be right

I dunno, Petorious might be wrong if that one splitting north of alderney makes it across the channel - it could just develop into something juicy for a few folks. It's continuously growing on rain radar since formation and structure looks a tad more stable than some of the other cells.... Who knows though bit early to call either way I would say.

Edited by Rob Walker

Posted
Just now, Frosty hollows said:

No, it's definitely got a rotation going. I was on the edge of the rain and thought it was just going to skirt me, but  now it's moving N rather than NE. The lighning seems to be further SE though. Oh as I spak we have thunder!

Keep spaking it's obviously lucky :rofl:

• Like 1