Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted

Half the family is on holiday in the caravan this week, ringing me up saying they've had torrential rain the past hour with small hail hitting Trevothen near Falmouth. Flooding is beginning to occur across the fields where they are.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

But all of the times you feel bad and a storm doesn't happen, you won't notice. Lots a folk lore and myths stem from confirmation bias. Interesting subject actually, always catching myself out with this sort of stuff. 

Its feels very humid here now. Today I got a new job and handed my notice in to my old job. Now to round the day off with a beer and a good storm! 

Absolutely! I feel crap most days in summer when it's hot and humid.

And congrats on the new job :)

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Agreed. Not much scientific proof to back this up, but i ALWAYS feel like s**t when the conditions are conducive to storms.

Me too, Azael; But I'm not 100% sure precisely why...Is it the humidity or the ominous tone the sky often takes in the run-up to any action? Even when the 'action' misses!

The again, it could be down to childlike anticipation?:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

I'm still expecting the current stuff to subside a bit and new stuff fire later on, it's a watch and wait game now

Yea we haven't had the usual lull whereby we all start jumping off of bridges. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

My headaches around this sort of time are also common, but I fear its the constant glaze at my computer screen waiting for the radar to update every 5 mins :blink2:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
3 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Half the family is on holiday in the caravan this week, ringing me up saying they've had torrential rain the past hour with small hail hitting Trevothen near Falmouth. Flooding is beginning to occur across the fields where they are.

Looking at the strikes map that's a storm towards Falmouth and Roseland Peninsula. Tracking N very slowly 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

Sure you just haven't forgotten to feed him/her

No she always like this when a storm is due,panting,and keeps coming up to me.

Posted
2 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Looking at the strikes map that's a storm towards Falmouth and Roseland Peninsula. Tracking N very slowly 

They didn't mention any thunder but there was some rumbles in the background, mostly asking when it was due to pass over them as around a hour of torrential rain they've had so-far and probably don't want the caravan turning into a temporary boat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Post copied from another UK weather forum, please delete if forbidden. 

"GFS 06Z upper air pattern for 00Z Wednesday (this is wind and divergence at 250 hPa) supports the idea of two main focii of supportive environments- one moving northwards over the West Country into Wales, the second moving ~NE across SE England. However, the MCS over NW France/Channel now spewing moisture and -ve vorticity aloft might be a big spanner in the works for the SE.
"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

N-W going for 92mm of rain here this evening and 71mm early hours tomorrow. I think the humidity might be getting to the forecast's head lol.

Posted
17 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

But all of the times you feel bad and a storm doesn't happen, you won't notice. Lots a folk lore and myths stem from confirmation bias. Interesting subject actually, always catching myself out with this sort of stuff. 

Its feels very humid here now. Today I got a new job and handed my notice in to my old job. Now to round the day off with a beer and a good storm! 

Quite possibly yes!

Though during the most recent two hot-spells I haven't felt too bad (lack of sleep notwithstanding) so i'm not really sure either way. I get an absolute humdinger of a headache right behind the eyes/sinuses, body-aches and feel very weak. It's pretty annoying!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

"GFS 06Z upper air pattern for 00Z Wednesday (this is wind and divergence at 250 hPa) supports the idea of two main focii of supportive environments- one moving northwards over the West Country into Wales, the second moving ~NE across SE England. However, the MCS over NW France/Channel now spewing moisture and -ve vorticity aloft might be a big spanner in the works for the SE."

shutup.thumb.gif.f63fc4485d329b5f5429c668beb68883.gif

• Like 4

Posted

marked decrease in sferic activity according to lightningmaps. Currently sitting around 20/min whereas earlier it was up at around 90/min.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like it will game on for the London area based on the latest BBC forecast. Lightning shows here I come. Hopefully the Kent Clipper function of Kent won't fix it'self

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Lightning activity over France appears to be waning, looking like an organised weather front instead of some big convective storms.... though Cornwall seems to be doing ok at least.

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

marked decrease in sferic activity according to lightningmaps. Currently sitting around 20/min whereas earlier it was up at around 90/min.

Yes here comes the inevitable lull. I'm going pry myself away from the forum for a few hours and do normal person things. Good luck everyone and speak later! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
5 minutes ago, VillagePlank said:

shutup.thumb.gif.f63fc4485d329b5f5429c668beb68883.gif

sorry to put a spanner in the works lol 

Posted
22 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

that small area really looks like the rainfall totals are adding up with continuous back building, definitely something to keep an eye out for as that could definitely cause some localised bad flooding

• Like 1

Posted

Hot off the press, and thanks to all those who have been testing the beta versions - our radar apps for Android are now fully released :D

For those with Extra subscriptions, your app is here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.netweather.netweatherradarextra

For those without subs, the free app is here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.netweather.netweatherradar

Ought to come in handy through the next 24 hours or so! Those with iOS devices, if you're interested in testing the beta version of the app, please drop me a line with your email address and I'll add you to the testers list :) 

• Like 5

Posted

BBC have changed their forecast a bit to show some thundery showers moving through N england after midnight, before another lot around 6am, and again around 6pm!