Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
On 11/07/2017 at 18:17, TJS1998Tom said:

Latest model updates are hinting a long spell of hot weather at the end of the month, 12z showing temps from 26-29 degrees lasting a good 7 days, Hopefully this will be our next chance of a proper thundery breakdown

Oh god I really hope not. I really despise the hot weather :angry: (I don't mind it being pleasantly warm, but not boiling, unbearably, sticky hot like it has been last week). I welcome storms that don't need the incredible heat and humidity we seem to get in the south east to flourish, plus we seem to get the heat for the longest and are always the hottest place in the country, but rarely get anything to show for it in the way of storms (in my area at least).

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
38 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Oh god I really hope not. I really despise the hot weather :angry: (I don't mind it being pleasantly warm, but not boiling, unbearably, sticky hot like it has been last week). I welcome storms that don't need the incredible heat and humidity we seem to get in the south east to flourish, plus we seem to get the heat for the longest and are always the hottest place in the country, but rarely get anything to show for it in the way of storms (in my area at least).

Maybe this time it will be different?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Windblade said:

I'd swap you your summer,at least you get one :nonono:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Next Tuesday into Wednesday night looks good for the south and south east and no doubt just heavy rain for us overnight into Wednesday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

I'm in the IOW next week, it would be great if we could get some storms! (And i may not be able to post much from Monday-Friday).

• Like 1

Posted

after the storm risk good for next Wednesday   and Thursday here on the 6z run it all when down the pan hope the GFS wrong or  it poor storm season :oops: 

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

WOW, look at these juicy looking beauties :yahoo:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
1 hour ago, Sparkiee storm said:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

We all know the only accurate parts of those maps are in France ;)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, Sparkiee storm said:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

A highly respected contributor on another weather website has also commented on this potential. Obviously a long way out yet but perhaps worth keeping an eye on ?

Edited by SenlacJack
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
9 hours ago, Windblade said:

I must admit as I get older I find extremes of heat and cold more difficult to cope with but in reality how many days of 'unusually hot weather' do we get a year here in the UK ? Even down here in the south east I would think it rarely exceeds 10-20 days a year. Surely we can cope with that ?

Think of poor old Moki and his like up north......

5 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

I'd swap you your summer,at least you get one :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
On 10/07/2017 at 20:39, Mokidugway said:

Some nice convective action around brum earlier this afternoons as I thundered past on train .

Yer......the only time the words "thundered" and "Brum" have been seen in a sentence this season:D

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, tomp456 said:

We all know the only accurate parts of those maps are in France ;)

haha certainly yeah, but looks like more potential than previous outbreaks for the parts of England and Wales this time me thinks, but obviously too far off yet ;) 

Posted
2 hours ago, SenlacJack said:

A highly respected contributor on another weather website has also commented on this potential. Obviously a long way out yet but perhaps worth keeping an eye on ?

Yep, defiantly worth keeping an eyes on this one I think, I know storms wont affect every part of those charts where they are showing potential but still is a very large area of potential for now :) 

Edited by Sparkiee storm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
6 hours ago, LightningLover said:

I'm in the IOW next week, it would be great if we could get some storms! (And i may not be able to post much from Monday-Friday).

Looks like a good place to be - especially if you're there for a week. Best potential seems to be mid-week - but we'll see if that changes.

Evening / night storms too... :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted

This would be great for next week, might be a sign for a good overnight thunderstorm, but no doubt as ever my area will miss out by a couple of miles with this chart showing the movements turning east towards Boston

STORM WED.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and showery airflows
15 hours ago, LightningLover said:

Good luck for next week...If things develop along the lines that models are suggesting (oh that word if) you should be rewarded on IOW. as should most of us storm starved Kent clipped victims in Southern Coastal Counties..Stay optimistic!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Next week (specifically Tues night/Weds) still looking quite interesting in terms of potential storm development. Storms are modelled to break out across much of the South and move Northwards/.

My only concern is that this seems like a repeating pattern we are in, with the associated tendency for the Jet and steering winds to be underestimated due to the nature of the synoptic setup. Although we do at times see things actually move back West, I would expect an eastward push is likely due to the Low pressure system edging in more quickly than originally modeled and on a more NE path. Something more akin to the ECM perhaps.?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
9 hours ago, TJS1998Tom said:

This would be great for next week, might be a sign for a good overnight thunderstorm, but no doubt as ever my area will miss out by a couple of miles with this chart showing the movements turning east towards Boston

STORM WED.png

Nice charts for me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Heavy shower just came through here, skies look like there's more about too. No thunder though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
16 hours ago, Sparkiee storm said:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

As long as I am on the ground - I am happy :D Due to fly GOT-LHR-DUB-LHR that day :p

• Like 1

Posted

The hints about something thundery next week are still on looks like

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Not allowing myself to carried away just yet - 5 days is a bit a large window for variation for me.

Encouraged though by the consistency over the past couple of days - not very much in the way of variation between model runs, unlike previous plume periods this year where 00z to 06z to 12z to 18z have looked substantially different. 

The wind charts show clearly the thundery low developing over NW Spain as a cut off low Monday evening, drifting into the BoB before arriving across our shores around 21z-00z Tuesday/Wednesday. What will be interesting is what that fires across Spain/France/BoB as this will undoubtedly have a big impact on UK fortunes. The veering winds around the low will also help negate reliance on the jet (which at this time is non-existent across W Europe).

I am hopeful we will end up with something like we experienced 3/4 July :D

3 July 2015.png

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

Posted

4 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

As long as I am on the ground - I am happy :D Due to fly GOT-LHR-DUB-LHR that day :p

Oh, hope your trip is a safe one.

Edited by Sparkiee storm
  • Like 1

Posted

06z but very interesting :) 

but don't worry south east, your time was before it moved north. 

ukstormrisk.png

Edited by Sparkiee storm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Oh, hope your trip is a safe one.

I clear the airport at 1455, so hopefully so.  I don't fancy flying through CB's and abeam TSRA's as it makes you feel sick!