Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sun Exposure: Think UV Radiation - Not Heat!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

It is a common misconception still, but it's not the sun's heat that causes skin to burn or tan, it's actually UV radiation from the sun, which is both invisible and can't be felt during exposure.
nw image

View the full blog here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

What a fabulous and sensible blog there to raise awareness of having too much sun exposure without the correct protection.  Skin damage caused by too much exposure to the sun is not a pretty sight and malignant melanoma's are very scary things to have.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Good blog ,we had to be careful climbing in the Himalayas,uv was ridiculous in air temperature around zero c.

I got sunburned in February 1989 - reflection off lying snow.

PS: In Glenurquhart...

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

You wouldn't believe the horrific pictures I saw on social regarding a runner with her legs all burnt. Quite shocking.

I never used to burn until i went away, forgot to put cream on my shoulders and for the first time went very red and sore.

Even in this last heat with cream i got a light colouring.

The funny thing is the looks i get wearing my hat. In 32c heat they are the idiots, not me.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

In my teenage years I spent a lot of time in Barcelona, where I quickly became very tanned and it became quite addictive.

Whenever I was out in the sun I always had my tshirt off and never wore suncream, even in the midday sun, I felt healthy with my glow, and enjoyed becoming as tanned as I possibly could.

Now I'm 26 and wouldn't even imagine doing anything as daft as that now, in fact I avoid midday summer sun in the UK if possible now I've educated myself about skin damage caused by the sun.

Education is key with sun strength and exposure, so posts like Nicks are very important. Even now I wear sun cream regularly I'm always worried my sun abuse when I was younger may one day come back to haunt me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
1 hour ago, Dami said:

You wouldn't believe the horrific pictures I saw on social regarding a runner with her legs all burnt. Quite shocking.

I never used to burn until i went away, forgot to put cream on my shoulders and for the first time went very red and sore.

Even in this last heat with cream i got a light colouring.

The funny thing is the looks i get wearing my hat. In 32c heat they are the idiots, not me.  

Know what you mean regarding looks people give you.  Heatwave summer 2016 and I needed to walk from work to the tram station in West Brom in the mid afternoon sun.  Decided to use a pretty bamboo parasol I had to shade me from the sun and some plonker looked at me curiously and pointed out it wasn't raining :wallbash: