Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Total solar eclipse of 21st August 2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

My eclipse viewing glasses arrived today!

• 1 month later...
Posted

More or less nailed down our itinerary now - the cost of any remaining accommodation in the eclipse zone is outlandish (certainly anywhere near where we'll be. I was overjoyed to find a place near Idaho Falls for £77 per night and then realised it was a parking space!) We're driving the scenic route north from Las Vegas via the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Fishlake National Forest, past Salt Like city on I-15 and staying at Twin Falls, which is about 80 miles south of the eclipse track. Hoping to see the eclipse in Sawtooth National Forest or near Mackay if the traffic through Sawtooth looks bad - there is a choice of a few roads.so hopefully an opportunity to chase the eclipse if it's partly cloudy.

Now the date's getting closer, is anyone watching the models and are there any suggestions of how the weather is trending in area of the eclipse track towards 21 August?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nice simple map for viewing.

FB_IMG_1502547644932.thumb.jpg.1363ccf3436e4531f258f81b91a092a1.jpg

Posted

Greetings from the Big Easy.

Heading up to Carbondale tomorrow on the Amtrak train. Forecast looks a bit iffy in Nebraska/Missouri to the NW but good to the SE in Kentucky/Tennessee. Carbondale doesn't look too bad at the moment (scattered clouds) but the nerves are kicking in regardless. I don't think anywhere along the path is looking truly terrible but only Oregon and Idaho currently have excellent prospects (it's still too early to say for sure what it will be like). I'm getting way too tense!

• Like 1

Posted

Saturday 8pm local time (BST-7h): We're now in Ogden, Utah, and have a room booked tomorrow and Sunday nights in Twin Falls, Idaho. At the moment the weather looks favourable for Idaho, with a chance of scattered clouds and perhaps some haze from forest fires.

We're staying 80 miles south of the totality track - at this stage the main risk seems to be getting stuck in a traffic jam but reports so far for Idaho haven't been too bad. We'll probably start out around 5am on Monday and hope at least to reach the town of Arco, just inside the track, or near the centre line north of Mackay if the traffic's ok. Best of luck to everyone!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Had a couple of days in spectacular Yellowstone, off to Nebraska tomorrow to get in position for the eclipse. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

Had a couple of days in spectacular Yellowstone, off to Nebraska tomorrow to get in position for the eclipse. 

If I were you I'd try to stay in Wyoming or cross into Idaho if at all possible. It might turn out alright in Nebraska but it's looking risky right now.

I won't be on the road at all so I'll just have to cross my fingers. Not that I want to be driving anywhere near Carbondale on Monday morning; it's going to be chaos.

Posted

Many thanks for that map, Knocker - we're now at our motel in Twin Falls, Idaho, with a full tank of petrol and almost ready for the early start tomorrow morning. So far the traffic has been ok - fingers crossed for tomorrow morning.

I saw a good graphic with the general eclipse weather for tomorrow across the USA. Think it was in the Washington Post - will try to post it if I can do it from my phone.

Posted

Slightly envious of all the tourists and millions of local-folk who will be seeing this Eclipse, I was hoping the weather would be fine enough to get some Partiality shots here in the Peak District as the sun sets but alas it's forecast clouds. Been watching all the news-feeds from America over on YouTube with one in particular mentioning about lines of people outside welder stores and science center, all desperately trying to pick up the last of the filters available.

Clear-skies hopefully for everyone tomorrow, SkyNews will be covering it from 3pm, NASA, SLOOH, and plenty of others also following the track.

• Like 1

Posted

From Poland 2015 just to get us in the mood..

• Like 2

Posted

I wonder how many US Domestic flights will be crossing over the path at the time of Totality, a lucky few will be able to grasp a extra few seconds of totality although i've heard that the USAF have collaborated with NASA in sending up a U2 aircraft at FL700 to get some recordings of the Eclipse above the majority of the atmosphere. Aside from the ISS they'll be the second highest people on Earth witnessing the event, and a grandstand-seat in having the opportunity to witness the shadow crossing West to East beneath them.

• Like 2

Posted

whole-us.thumb.jpg.281ee33822947874e0e60c67d8b68b44.jpg

YouTube webcams for chasing the Eclipse as it crosses west to east of America in 90minutes. With SkyNews, NASA, SLOOH bookmarked on standby incase the YT streams get overloaded.

1. Seattle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j52bqZ_...2qfbn8HMFo

Posted

Last occasion a total solar eclipse was visible from the mainland USA was 1979

Very unusual the time gap for such a large area, normally a total solar eclipse would be visible from some part of the mainland USA (including Alaska) at least once a decade on average.

• Like 1

Posted

We reached the town of Mackay, Idaho (pronounced 'Mackie'), near the centre of the totality track, about an hour ago - the traffic up from Twin Falls was light. It's hazy here but the sun's up and bright. Fingers crossed for a great eclipse for everyone.

Edited by Stargazer
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
14 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

We reached the town of Mackay, Idaho (pronounced 'Mackie'), near the centre of the totality track, about an hour ago - the traffic up from Twin Falls was light. It's hazy here but the sun's up and bright. Fingers crossed for a great eclipse for everyone.

Wow, how exciting. What is it like, is there a general feeling of bonhomie and anticipation? What a day!

Posted

Yes there's a bit of excitement in the air but it's all quite low key (maybe still a bit early in the morning for most of us!) The town has a nice friendly buzz - they're holding a street party later, when it'll no doubt get livelier.

We deliberately chose a low key location to escape the crowds and the traffic - we're now in position overlooking the reservoir a couple of miles north of Mackay, and a dozen or so cars have gathered here now. Totality here is about 11.30 local time, and we get about 2 minutes 15 seconds here. Will try to post a picture or two but there's no 4G or even 3G here so may have to wait until later.

• Like 2

Posted

Sunny all morning so far in Carbondale, with only some thin high cloud and the odd small cumulus. No sign of thunderstorms yet. First contact is in a few minutes. Crossing all my fingers and toes...

• Like 2