Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June 1995

damianslaw

Posted

Current conditions are reminding me of June 1995, the last time we saw a similiar spell of weather with equivalent temperatures. It was a month of contrasting fortunes, especially in the east- the first 2-3 weeks were dominated by cool grey skies with a persistant North / north easterly airstream, conversely the NW faired best, with mostly sunny albeit distinctly average temps, with a robust mid atlantic high feature which tried to ridge NE across the country from time to time but became unstuck by a fairly weak atlantic trough feature anchoring itself down from the NW. It was a very dry month in the west and north west overall. There was then a major turnaround just in time for the Summer solstice, with a synoptic set up almost the replica of what occured Friday/Saturday last week, the azores high ridged north, and pulled in much warmer uppers, with 30 degrees widespread in southern parts by the 22nd. The rest of the month brought wall to wall blue skies and high temps for all, N England and Scotland saw some very high maxima, as high pressure sat over the country. By the end of the month the high retrogressed to the NW and a slightly cooler easterly feed invaded southern and eastern parts.

I remember the spell very well, not bettered in any June since in  these parts in my book, though June 2006 gave it a run for its money. Unfortunately the current weather looks shortlived, a mini version of June 1995.. Promisingly, it heralded a superb summer, again not bettered since in my book..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Its strange you compare this month to June 1995.  That month finished very close to average with the cold first half and warm second largely cancelling each other out.  This month however looks odds on to be a very warm June and at least the warmest since 1976 if not 1846.

• Like 1

Posted
On 2017-6-20 at 09:26, Lettucing Gutted said:

Its strange you compare this month to June 1995.  That month finished very close to average with the cold first half and warm second largely cancelling each other out.  This month however looks odds on to be a very warm June and at least the warmest since 1976 if not 1846.

More in terms of the synoptical set up in how the warm spell arrived and settled in. June 1995 produced a 7 day period of weather every bit as comparable as the last 7, albeit temps didn't quite hit the heights of today, but unlike this year, the heat was far more widespread infiltrating Scotland and N Ireland as well, with maxes regularly in mid-high 20's for most, whereas this year it has really been an England/Wales event. The first half as you say was very different though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I'm pretty sure there was a day in the second half of June 1995 when there was an unusual occurance. The day was a hot one but was made memorable by a sudden cold surge. No rain, very little cloud accompanied the surge but the wind suddenly got up with a big drop in temperature...a fall in excess of 10c in Manchester where I was living at the time.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

I'm pretty sure there was a day in the second half of June 1995 when there was an unusual occurance. The day was a hot one but was made memorable by a sudden cold surge. No rain, very little cloud accompanied the surge but the wind suddenly got up with a big drop in temperature...a fall in excess of 10c in Manchester where I was living at the time.

Yes it was the 30th. Remember it well, it was an absolutely scorcher that day but that evening it felt so "cold" with the wind getting up. Really strange.

• Like 2

Posted

West of Scotland had great summer in 1995 both June and August reached great heatwaves even first half of July was good with severe Thunderstorms on the Glasgow Fair Friday (it usually rains that day/weekend as a Tradition) . Any rainfall that summer appeared to be at nightime. 2003,2006 were the next best summers after that..

Posted
On 6/19/2017 at 23:03, damianslaw said:

Current conditions are reminding me of June 1995, the last time we saw a similiar spell of weather with equivalent temperatures. It was a month of contrasting fortunes, especially in the east- the first 2-3 weeks were dominated by cool grey skies with a persistant North / north easterly airstream, conversely the NW faired best, with mostly sunny albeit distinctly average temps, with a robust mid atlantic high feature which tried to ridge NE across the country from time to time but became unstuck by a fairly weak atlantic trough feature anchoring itself down from the NW. It was a very dry month in the west and north west overall. There was then a major turnaround just in time for the Summer solstice, with a synoptic set up almost the replica of what occured Friday/Saturday last week, the azores high ridged north, and pulled in much warmer uppers, with 30 degrees widespread in southern parts by the 22nd. The rest of the month brought wall to wall blue skies and high temps for all, N England and Scotland saw some very high maxima, as high pressure sat over the country. By the end of the month the high retrogressed to the NW and a slightly cooler easterly feed invaded southern and eastern parts.

I remember the spell very well, not bettered in any June since in  these parts in my book, though June 2006 gave it a run for its money. Unfortunately the current weather looks shortlived, a mini version of June 1995.. Promisingly, it heralded a superb summer, again not bettered since in my book..

I've also been comparing this summer with 1995. Not an exact match but there are certainly similarities. 1995 wasn't wall to wall sunshine. I remember quite a few weeks of overcast weather, some drizzle but overall very dry. And we all know how it finished. Signs are looking good for this August so fingers crossed! We're well over due a good one

Posted
On 10/07/2017 at 11:55, Cwmbran Eira said:

I've also been comparing this summer with 1995. Not an exact match but there are certainly similarities. 1995 wasn't wall to wall sunshine. I remember quite a few weeks of overcast weather, some drizzle but overall very dry. And we all know how it finished. Signs are looking good for this August so fingers crossed! We're well over due a good one

Summer 1995 is a high benchmark for those in west Scotland, N Ireland and Cumbria, one that all summers are compared by, on account of the sustained very warm, sunny and notably dry conditions, not bettered since. Indeed on a par with 1976 I think. It was a superb summer. Would be very happy to see the rest of the year pan out like 1995, warmest driest and sunniest August on record here, followed by a very wet cool September - an unusual combination, a dry sunny warm October, a chilly November with some early snowfall, then a snowy very cold December, with exceptional cold christmas week - if 2018 could follow in similiar vein to Jan-Mar 96 I'd be very happy indeed.. not too much to ask, the sustained warm weather of the past 14 months has to break at some stage..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Summer 1995 is a high benchmark for those in west Scotland, N Ireland and Cumbria, one that all summers are compared by, on account of the sustained very warm, sunny and notably dry conditions, not bettered since. Indeed on a par with 1976 I think. It was a superb summer. Would be very happy to see the rest of the year pan out like 1995, warmest driest and sunniest August on record here, followed by a very wet cool September - an unusual combination, a dry sunny warm October, a chilly November with some early snowfall, then a snowy very cold December, with exceptional cold christmas week - if 2018 could follow in similiar vein to Jan-Mar 96 I'd be very happy indeed.. not too much to ask, the sustained warm weather of the past 14 months has to break at some stage..

If the long range charts are right, it won't be this year. mild, wet and stormy by the looks of it.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

If the long range charts are right, it won't be this year. mild, wet and stormy by the looks of it.

Unfortunately more likely - a break from the also unusually dry benign conditions of the last 14 months, back to something much wetter, and typically remaining mild.. wet mild autumns and winters are miserable in too many ways.. Looking forward to that solar minimum.. another year to get through yet..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
Just now, damianslaw said:

Unfortunately more likely - a break from the also unusually dry benign conditions of the last 14 months, back to something much wetter, and typically remaining mild.. wet mild autumns and winters are miserable in too many ways.. Looking forward to that solar minimum.. another year to get through yet..

It makes me sad to see charts like that. I am an avid lover of cold and crisp, clear winter days (where high pressure is actually welcome) are wonderful.

Then we have the conditions those charts are going for; which would be near endless rain and overcast. With mild days and nights. Not to mention the threat to peoples homes once again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Heathrow minima and maxima by day for June 1995. A pretty cool, non-descript first half of the month and then a warm up with some real heat by the end of the month (32.3c on the 30th):

June95.thumb.PNG.bd861e0efd05c8eec588471a6909bbf8.PNG