Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Fading memories of 2010

Optimus Prime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes Dec.10 felt like Winter 62/3 wrt powdery snow and deep cold and revived memories of that great Winter.

Talking of icicles these i took whilst shopping around Nuneaton on a Saturday in Dec.2010.

Photo-0004.thumb.jpg.1f0df1d9cc1673f6f95daf9b9abbf6ea.jpgPhoto-0005.thumb.jpg.c8c9d7ed84464dc91b380e2a8374220e.jpg

That was  a very cold market day in town.

The snow came a few days later although not a great amount as you can see

Photo-0010.thumb.jpg.c061894d9275402afd34688cfe6f4b5e.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm glad it is a fading memory. It was an event I want to forget. 3" of snow fell, then turned to rain and melted within a few hours. I was in one of a very few places that I would call a non-event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
14 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Yes Dec.10 felt like Winter 62/3 wrt powdery snow and deep cold and revived memories of that great Winter.

Talking of icicles these i took whilst shopping around Nuneaton on a Saturday in Dec.2010.

Photo-0004.thumb.jpg.1f0df1d9cc1673f6f95daf9b9abbf6ea.jpgPhoto-0005.thumb.jpg.c8c9d7ed84464dc91b380e2a8374220e.jpg

That would be the 4th, 4th-16th here was snow free, even a full thaw on Fri 9th, great month though, especially from 30th Nov to Dec 4, then Dec 17th to 26th

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Fading....never!!! Best weather month ever. Including sledging on Christmas Day with the family and friends... Priceless  :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
On 25/07/2017 at 21:51, DAVID SNOW said:

'if' we are on the road towards more extreme (that's what the experts say) weather events,   then perhaps,  the wait could be less than a lifetime?

I'll have a stab, that a winter month in the next 3 years, will be remarkable .:cold-emoji: Fingers crossed for December.

Something I've noticed having looked through CET data is how often a subzero CET month is followed by another such month 7 years later. Prior to 2010 and since 1900, the Winters with such months were

1939/40: Jan CET -1.4C

and 7 years later

1946/47: Feb CET -1.9C

1955/56: Feb CET -0.2C

and 7 years later

1962/63: Jan CET -2.1C, Feb CET -0.7C

1978/79: Jan CET -0.4C

and 7 years later

1985/86: Feb CET -1.1C

There are more examples if you look back further, also a lot of 6 and 8 year gaps too. Some kind of solar influence maybe?

Anyway, the point of this post was that 7 years on from December 2010 takes us to Winter 2017/18... It's worth remembering though that there have been times when this pattern hasn't occurred.

I may look into subzero months that didn't coincide with calendar months at some point to see if I can find anything similar, since the calendar months are arbitrarily chosen.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I signed up just to talk about this particular topic. I was there in Edinburgh on a semester of exchange from UBC from sep to dec 2010. At the time I didn't realize that this was a spectacular winter for the region, being from BC Canada. But I do remember it fondly...the UK was beautiful in the snow! I took a train trip down to Newcastle to see a football match and the train stopped countless times, but I didn't care as I was enjoying the scenery. The game was a riot, with fans throwing snowballs and piles of snow falling off of the stadium roof onto the field. I remember pushing a pizza delivery car that was stuck, random strangers having snowball fights, and just amazing scenery.

I don't know if you'll recall, but Heathrow was a crap fest around christmas. My trip home around the 20th was pretty funny. I had my Edinburgh to heathrow flight cancelled at 3 am and had to get an Easyjet flight to one of the other london airports, which forced me to trash a lot of my belongings as they were going to charge me something like 200 pounds for the extra weight. Miraculously my Air Canada flight to Vancouver was one of dozens to actually leave Heathrow that day, whilest hundreds of poor souls slept in the airport. 

Anyways, thought I would share my story and say that was one of the best months of my life! Now I'm living in a coastal climate in Vancouver BC and we have the same struggles getting a real winter. Last year we got lucky and it was glorious. Hopefully this year you guys can get your turn!

• Like 4

Posted

This is state of play here at end of November.
There was no let up until after Christmas

A few more photos from this spell (between others) here, at the time it was such a grind taking pictures was rarely on my mind.

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
On 26/07/2017 at 20:30, phil nw. said:

It was a theme across many parts of the central Midlands, not a great deal of snow but the cold was incredible. 

• Like 1

Posted

Despite it being a sub freezing month overall, the cold was not continuous, indeed there was a thaw around the 10th, the period between the 10th and 15th brought maxes in the 2-6 degree range, and the snow quickly disappeared. So it was different to the last sub-freezing CET month in Feb 1986, which brought no thaw whatsoever, but less spectacular cold, only towards the end of that month did mins fall below -10 degrees.

Snowfall depths were nothing special in many places as well, especially in the west, with some places only seeing a dusting. It was the depth of cold early in the month and more particularly in the run up to christmas and on christmas day itself that was spectacular. We had a run of 9 ice days between 18th and 26th Dec. December 2009 though was much snowier.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

This very cold and snowy spell was exceptional at my location.

I think rural Dorset was the place to be without a doubt In late November/December 2010.

It Set or broke so many records.

Coldest December in Dorset since at least 1879.

Coldest Xmas day on record in Dorset

36 consecutive air frosts at my weather station in WInfrith Newburgh

Previous record minimum of minus 10 beaten on the 2nd December with minus 12 recorded.

THis new record lasted just 24 days until minus 13 was recorded on Boxingday morning.

Two Ice Days recorded in November !!

16 nights below minus 5

5 nights below minus 10

Earliest substantial December snowfall (4ins)on record, overnight 1st /2nd :December

5 individual snowfall events

12 days with a snowcover.

Continuous snow cover from 7.30 am17th until midnight on the 26th

14 ice days.

I doubts I shall see another December like it in my life time.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

This very cold and snowy spell was exceptional at my location.

I think rural Dorset was the place to be without a doubt In late November/December 2010.

It Set or broke so many records.

Coldest December in Dorset since at least 1879.

Coldest Xmas day on record in Dorset

36 consecutive air frosts at my weather station in WInfrith Newburgh

Previous record minimum of minus 10 beaten on the 2nd December with minus 12 recorded.

THis new record lasted just 24 days until minus 13 was recorded on Boxingday morning.

Two Ice Days recorded in November !!

16 nights below minus 5

5 nights below minus 10

Earliest substantial December snowfall (4ins)on record, overnight 1st /2nd :December

5 individual snowfall events

12 days with a snowcover.

Continuous snow cover from 7.30 am17th until midnight on the 26th

14 ice days.

I doubts I shall see another December like it in my life time.

wow - you did alright. It was nothing like that here. Snow melted within hours of it falling, as it turned to rain. As i've said before, December 2010 was cold, but it certainly wasn't one to remember in terms of snow for my locale.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

wow - you did alright. It was nothing like that here. Snow melted within hours of it falling. As i've said before, December 2010 was cold, but it certainly wasn't one to remember in terms of snow for my locale.

Yes I think rural areas did a lot better Mapantz. I thinks Wareham gets protected by the infamous Bournemouth and Poole snow shield. Amazing when you consider that WInfrith is only  about 8 miles west of Wareham and probably slightly further south.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Yes I think rural areas did a lot better Mapantz. I thinks Wareham gets protected by the infamous Bournemouth and Poole snow shield. Amazing when you consider that WInfrith is only  about 8 miles west of Wareham and probably slightly further south.

Yep.
Folk complain about London being snow-less, they ought to live here lol

That infamous satellite image of the whole of the UK being white from snow - 2009/2010 was it? It was completely green here, because we had no snow. :closedeyes:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Heres a few pics from the Yorkshire Wolds, around 2 feet of snow fell late November and early December. Unofficial low of -19c according to a someone that lives in Thixendale. 

-7.5c at just gone midday was pretty epic!

P1050551.thumb.JPG.2718098a1db25f4babefbafd0526c6c3.JPG

P1050552.thumb.JPG.bbb88ae3f3484b5964b748cea560ed91.JPG

s76fg978fds6g3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Definitely the best winter I have lived to see, better than anything I remember from the 90s and 00s. Had best part of 2 weeks of snow on the ground and snow showers and streamers, days on end of ice and in the minus figures and nights below -10/15 which I'd never seen in the 15 years I'd lived in that house. Amazing, can only but dream to see something like that again in my lifetime. I've found a few photos of back then and the endless icicles that were hanging off the roofs, the snow streamer we had one night which had hours of lampost watching, and the amazing views that came with a true winter wonderland!

5a0a1a3ac26a5_Winter12010.thumb.jpg.74f3700d996e7c433cb2cf2028f26e03.jpg5a0a1a3c6a09f_Winter22010.thumb.jpg.28d250a32344574a918a6349af45e93f.jpg5a0a1a395c781_Winter2010.thumb.jpg.6bdece80466bd2982537d281dcff0b4a.jpg5a0a1a3e20f77_Winter32010.thumb.jpg.80fe995d7021c4a1dc29f51f8192b219.jpg

Edited by DeepSnow
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

Hey all. Ill post some xcweather snapshots I took when I get a sec - some crazy minimums around the south. I remember one morning driving to work and it was -12..

Posted

I'll repost my article on snow in the South Yorkshire/Derbyshire area sometime tomorrow, over 30 cm here which was something no one in this area had ever seen before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
10 minutes ago, samadamsuk said:

Hey all. Ill post some xcweather snapshots I took when I get a sec - some crazy minimums around the south. I remember one morning driving to work and it was -12..

That may seem cold but southern England ,particularly the south east have recorded as low as -21 deg C

• Like 2

Posted

It was definitely a very memorable year snow wise for the UK. January was pretty good in the beginning, though the snow here then wasn't really deep it was appreciable and very cold as well. 

Late November and early December also brought similar falls, then it thawed, but it soon got very cold again with freezing fog with hard frosts. The 18th December event, though quite a magical day only left a modest covering again. But thankfully come the 22nd December there was a really heavy downfall on the morning which left a deep crisp covering. This stuck around for Christmas of course making it a perfect looking white Christmas (forget that it didn't actually snow that day, a good deep covering of snow from a previous days snowfall is more of a white Christmas than a few snowflakes trickling down in my book) and then thawed on the 27th effectively ending that Winter more or less. Would be great to have it again though.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Am glad you younger folks out there have appreciated a very cold and wintery period.It did look at one time pre 2008 that we would never get such conditions again.It does appear like any severe spell some areas do far better than others.December 2010 was the coldest December in many if not most areas since 1895 but fortunately I was around to witness that of 1981 and in our area that was colder than 2010 and had far more snow with huge drifts.I am also fortunate to have seen February 1986 which did not have the extreme temperatures but felt far colder due to the constant bitter easterly winds and very low maxima and also the benchmark in my lifetime the great 1979 which just had it all.Just wish I was old enough to have witnessed 1963 or 1947.

Posted

Seems like a long time ago now. We didn't have much snow after the mid month thaw but the depth and longevity of cold was impressive. Even some of the big, deep lakes in the Lake District were beginning to freeze over. Here's Aira Force and Derwenangel delighter on Christmas day.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d8af95ed7f22db9e002.thumb.JPG.be32b8ac212117f0e76531335e92462e.JPG017.thumb.JPG.7e70c38fa10f0fa5b01a08683aa1d941.JPG

Edited by Mountain Snow
  • Like 2