Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/06/2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 12z mean shows different shades of changeable atlantic weather next week with some decent weather further south at times and the worst of the unsettled further north / north-west and this is due to the ebb and flow of the azores high and the lower heights to the nw / n..however, beyond mid July there are signs that the azores high could have a window of opportunity to build in across the uk...fingers crossed!:)

21_120_500mb.png

21_144_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_216_500mb.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_264_500mb.png

21_288_500mb.png

21_360_500mb.png

21_384_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Doesn't look terrible, doesn't look brilliant either. Somewhere in the middle I reckon. Could be some pleasant days ahead, along with some cloudy and drizzly ones too. Ecm is broadly similar.

• Like 1

Posted

A rather changeable Ecm 12z but with occasional ridging further south bringing some fine and pleasantly warm intervals but generally temperatures next week look on the cool side of average, especially further n / nw...it's pretty much a trough / ridge / trough etc set up with northern uk generally experiencing the most inclement conditions. 

Coming back to the short term, there is a chance of a thundery disturbance spreading up from france to affect southern areas and the south stays warm this weekend although nothing like as warm as today has been at Heathrow where it reached 32c...28/29c in the SE tomorrow, 26/27c on saturday, down to 24c on sunday but progressively cooler and more changeable the further N / W you are from that zone.

96_mslp500.png

120_mslp500.png

120_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp500.png

168_mslp500.png

192_mslp500.png

216_mslp500.png

240_mslp500.png

240_mslp850uk.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

That potential thundery disturbance risk from france I mentioned applies to sunday across the south, saw it on the weather forecast ..:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted

I also caught the BBC forecast of thundery rain possibly moving up from France on Sunday. Heard nothing of that until then though

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm , not hot , Sun ,
56 minutes ago, richep said:

I also caught the BBC forecast of thundery rain possibly moving up from France on Sunday. Heard nothing of that until then though

yea like it was today , :wallbash: 

• Like 1

Posted

I must admit, I have gone old school the past 10 days. I haven't looked at the charts once or logged on here to see what's been going on, just enjoying each day on the beach, in the garden, having bbqs, long swims in the sea, spot of kayaking. Not a care in the world what the weather will be doing in 3 or 4 days time just enjoying each day and the unknown. Its been lovely. No idea what its showing for next week,haven't looked and dont give a toss. Last one from me this summer. Goodnight.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
10 minutes ago, SizzlingHeat said:

I must admit, I have gone old school the past 10 days. I haven't looked at the charts once or logged on here to see what's been going on, just enjoying each day on the beach, in the garden, having bbqs, long swims in the sea, spot of kayaking. Not a care in the world what the weather will be doing in 3 or 4 days time just enjoying each day and the unknown. Its been lovely. No idea what its showing for next week,haven't looked and dont give a toss. Last one from me this summer. Goodnight.

Hello ,enjoy the weather at big cooler session next week back to the best of British then a 1975 feel about the summer

Posted
26 minutes ago, SizzlingHeat said:

We haven't needed models in on the south coast for the past five summers. - we just seem to keep getting great weather!!

Looking at the models for next week, I remain confident that a NWly will still feel hot in the sun down here - more changeable further north. But then you don't want to hear that, do you ;)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
20 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

We haven't needed models in on the south coast for the past five summers. - we just seem to keep getting great weather!!

Looking at the models for next week, I remain confident that a NWly will still feel hot in the sun down here - more changeable further north. But then you don't want to hear that, do you ;)

Dont rub it in. Just remember those up North can get a decent nights sleep without sticking to their mattress. But then again you don't want to hear that do you?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Something I have noticed which probably means nothing , is that the 15th keeps showing some promise. This being the latest .

IMG_7772.PNG

• Like 4

Posted

There is little change with  the GEFs anomaly this morning so little need to update the waffle

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.bdc8d4506cb2af51cea9147ae5c1d71e.png

Instead a quick look at detail in the near future which is of interest. It has been mentioned previously that the current long wave set up lends itself to two or three possibilities vis the detailed evolution. One of them appears to be applicable this weekend.

The Azores is waxing in a manner which temporarily interrupts the west-east energy/trough transport but not in a manner that would bring the UK directly under it's influence. Thus. the latter comes under a very slack pressure regime which allows some northward drift of some unstable air from the south and perhaps some thundery activity. A scenario that on a good day can initiate some impressive WAA. This isn't one of the good days and one suspects that if this does materialize the convective activity may well be confined to the SE but even at this stage who knows.

gfs_uv250_natl_11.thumb.png.d3da8e411a1333978b1d22f4a352d834.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_12.thumb.png.5a790bf4389d75468dc0b2e132f5526b.png500vort_d02_25.thumb.png.2f786b98a4f28142a1874bd6ff284f81.png

PPVK89.thumb.gif.9b5b749afb77d53caa3aa5e35eb366aa.gif

The shallow low quickly moves away east but the slack pressure regime remains with the gfs creating a weak high cell before normal service is resumed. If it actually pans out this way it wouldn't be too bad with maybe a couple of very weak fronts traversing the country with temps around average.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_21.thumb.png.0bdc85759a50ca45083c78c6c93b7d25.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_29.thumb.png.7fcd5617b58241d21a66ad6e2bdebe35.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

Overall the ecm not dissimilar to the gfs but with quite a showery day on Monday and ending the run with a quite familiar, and not unexpected,r analysis

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_11.thumb.png.d1d206b87c6125bc8b6208e232d99ae9.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Large-scale mechanisms at work behind that settling down and heating up trend later this month.

I do also wonder if some positive adjustment may be witnessed later this coming week, as the La Nina-like swing gets toned down. To a slight extent this has already happened but we can't be sure that this trend will continue. Arguably it's being a bit greedy given the impressive longer-term signals, but generally it's best to play for that which is nearer in time and so more dependable.

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 3

Posted

The EPS mean anomaly this morning is not looking at any significant change in the 14 day period. What is beginning to show is a gradual weakening of the low pressure N. Canada/Greenland and the associated trough south east which encourages height rises in mid Atlantic thus veering the upper flow. This would portend a more settled influence in the south but with the north copping the more unsettled weather as usual. Temps still around average  NOAA not disagreeing with this, perhaps not pushing the Azores quite as much.

The EC 46 means update continues with this theme until the end of July with temps above average for much of the last third of the month before lapsing again. So basically the Azores centred to the south west and the north west remain the controlling influences.

814day_03.thumb.gif.bc78dd61cfdb19b507a4d0b7b890d9d9.gif

• Like 6

Posted

I seem to be getting an obsession with the 15th of July , the models keep churning out good charts for this date as yesterday's post .

IMG_7789.PNG

IMG_7790.PNG

IMG_7791.PNG

And as previous runs this is short lived .

IMG_7792.PNG

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Singularity said:

Large-scale mechanisms at work behind that settling down and heating up trend later this month.

I do also wonder if some positive adjustment may be witnessed later this coming week, as the La Nina-like swing gets toned down. To a slight extent this has already happened but we can't be sure that this trend will continue. Arguably it's being a bit greedy given the impressive longer-term signals, but generally it's best to play for that which is nearer in time and so more dependable.

Top post as usual Singularity:)

Good to see Exeter is still hinting at a warmer more settled spell developing during the second half of July..just hope it upgrades into a nationwide summery spell instead of the usual north / south divide!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
2 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

I seem to be getting an obsession with the 15th of July , the models keep churning out good charts for this date as yesterday's post .

IMG_7789.PNG

IMG_7790.PNG

IMG_7791.PNG

And as previous runs this is short lived .

IMG_7792.PNG

Everyone's obsessed as it's my birthday and the famous St swithuns day will it be 40 days and 40 nights of heat?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Top post as usual Singularity:)

Good to see Exeter is still hinting at a warmer more settled spell developing during the second half of July..just hope it upgrades into a nationwide summery spell instead of the usual north / south divide!

Take no notice of GFS and MO long range as neither will come off. Statistically speaking, whenever does a positive long range forecast come off? Just like almost all models had eyes on a "hot and dry" first half of summer that failed to fully materialise. I can't believe I fell for it. Too much attention gets paid to models in the 10+ day range when the even the 3 day range cant even be resolved. 

I wonder which model will be the first to drop the idea of this warm settled spell?

Posted
10 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Everyone's obsessed as it's my birthday and the famous St swithuns day will it be 40 days and 40 nights of heat?

Here we go again . :D

IMG_7793.GIF

IMG_7794.GIF

Blink and you will miss it .

IMG_7795.GIF

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes the Ecm 12z perks up for the south later next week with a warmer more settled few days as the azores high ridges in across southern uk for a time..hopefully at some point this summer the north of the uk will be included!:)

144_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp500.png

168_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp500.png

192_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp500.png

216_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

It's a changeable outlook on tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean, there is some fine and pleasantly warm intervals, especially further south / south-east with the most unsettled and coolest conditions mostly further north / north-west. Later next week there are signs that the azores ridge may bring a few days of warmer and largely settled weather to the south as the operational run showed.:)

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
10 hours ago, Frosty. said:

It's a changeable outlook on tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean, there is some fine and pleasantly warm intervals, especially further south / south-east with the most unsettled and coolest conditions mostly further north / north-west. Later next week there are signs that the azores ridge may bring a few days of warmer and largely settled weather to the south as the operational run showed.:)

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

you highlight why the azores high is the enemy of summer... the anomaly charts support this too... average at best but with transient ridging that might produce a hot day here and there. but no lasting heatwave whilst the azh sits there - on the other hand, no monsoon either.

• Like 2