Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/06/2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

We're still on course for a more settled spell next month according to the GEFS 6z mean as the Azores high ridges in across the UK, at least central / southern UK would enjoy welcome respite from the unsettled / atlantic conditions.

21_246_500mb.png

21_270_500mb.png

21_294_500mb.png

21_318_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I am always wary when there are no posts on a model run and low and behold the GFS12z offers heat lovers little to nothing. It becomes less cyclonic/wet but most of northern Europe would be comfortably below average in terms of temperature from such a setup. 

Day 5..

GFSOPEU12_120_2.png

Day 10..

GFSOPEU12_240_2.png

Day 15..

GFSOPEU12_360_2.png

Signs in the day 5-10 range that the primary low may back north west a little but in low res the primary trough breezes through. 

As mentioned before, this summer is reminding me of summer 2010 but with a higher amplitude (i.e. better June and probably worse August, July was pretty mild and muggy in the first half).

For heat fans i will say that i was thinking earlier that the CCKW lowering heights in the tropical Atlantic may displace a downstream ridge in the mid-lattitudes. I'd perhaps be looking towards the 10th for something more seasonal albeit this wave by its nature will pass and the background signal globally will see a pattern more like the current one return by default. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Second day in a row the BBC weather for the week ahead has hinted at things settling down with high pressure after next weekend: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/40764169

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

As the upcoming Kelvin Wave was posted on here some thoughts on it from the man himself

https://www.facebook.com/MJVentrice/posts/469000353476585:

You seem to like this bloke! Who is he? What are his credentials?

Posted
55 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

For heat fans i will say that i was thinking earlier that the CCKW lowering heights in the tropical Atlantic may displace a downstream ridge in the mid-lattitudes. I'd perhaps be looking towards the 10th for something more seasonal albeit this wave by its nature will pass and the background signal globally will see a pattern more like the current one return by default. 

There's no sign of any positive anomalies for surface temp on the 4 week ECM mid range forecast. Second week of August below.

meTz20170727_0000+43200.png

http://www.met.hu/en/idojaras/elorejelzes/europai_elorejelzes/

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Ok. Back to polite model discussion please, Thanks. 

Posted

ECM is rather abrupt w/ its latest update; No to any settled weather propagated by MetO. We'll need to start seeing these ' glimmers of hope' pop up on the models soon, otherwise, its another pony ride to eternity. 

Day 9 on the ecm shows another low heading our way as per below. Day 10 ends unsettled.

19.png

Edited by draztik
  • Like 2

Posted

Still no sign of a return to the kind of summer most of us want to see in August from the latest Ecm / Gfs / Gem runs. The Ecm 12z T+240 shows great potential....for our weather to continue as it is now..I can feel the enthusiasm draining out of me as I type this.:D

240_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted

The ecm is handling the second low next week quite differently to the previous run which alters the evolution for the end of next week and later a fair bit. At least it takes the worst case scenario for next weekend out of the equation.

So a little more detail. The main low situated west of Ireland by 12z Wednesday with the associated fronts lying down the Irish Sea. Thus a very wet Wednesday/Thursday on the cards with the low over Scotland by 12z Thursday with most of Britain in a strong W/NW flow producing many showers which may well be quite wintry. And incidentally there is a strong 130kt jet running across Cornwall at the same time.

Over the next 48 hours it moves the main low east into the North Sea  runs the secondary feature into France before dissipating it, leaving the UK in a showery NW as the the Azores rides in at the same time.

But the ridge is transient as the ecm will not drop the idea of winging the next trough around the Azores HP and it duly arrives on Monday

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_6.thumb.png.652e51d47b731a41753b3b66f29bcb05.pngecm_mslp_uv850_natl_8.thumb.png.5827c99b6a7ba75bb9ef0c0037776c54.pngecm_mslp_uv850_natl_10.thumb.png.3c07f678685d0d41c264bd5f06cabb88.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Looks terrible again tonight...bbc being very bold in predicting high pressure against the grain of al the other output. If we miss this window, we could be on the way to last chance saloon for summer 2017.

Posted

Meanwhile,  in the mid / longer term the GEFS 12z mean continues to look very encouraging for a return of summer, at least across southern UK as the Azores high gradually builds in.:santa-emoji:

21_216_500mb.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_264_500mb.png

21_288_500mb.png

21_312_500mb.png

21_336_500mb.png

21_360_500mb.png

21_384_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted

Im afraid im getting a sense of deja vu this evening.

Hoping for the best but expecting a bbc backtrack very soon.

Its the old chicken and egg but something is feeding this southerly tracking jet..

Posted

Evening all :)

Frosty's natural optimism notwithstanding, there are plenty of GFS Members showing a more settled picture out at T+240:

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=240

Only a couple show the HP drawing up warm/hot air and indeed settled may mean the Azores HP ridging to our NW pulling in a NE'ly flow.

Plenty more runs needed as they say...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hello folks ,well no bum pics tonight although the weather looks pants but lots of fine weather between the rainbands:hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

more like lots of showers between the rainbands and not a lot of fine weather at all..for the week ahead!:)

Sounds good, Frosty...I can still (just about) remember coming home from school - circa 1965 - and seeing a combination of light rain and crepuscular rays.

That sense of wonder has always stayed with me. And so has that image!:santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted

Trying to work it out - now that I can see the ECM ensemble clusters as well as the GEFS ensembles, it's interesting to see what is making up those better mean charts...

Although there's been a real mix in the ECM ensembles and I'm reluctant to trust a pattern change from GEFS, I feel a kind of trend emerging after this Thursday - a ridge-trough-ridge pattern. 2 or 3 good days, then a worse day, then 2-3 more good days. This would mean an improvement, but not a transformation. And, it would seem these troughs will be approaching on a trajectory from North of west. That would explain the lowish temperatures forecast; this direction won't be a heat maker. But it could mean more sunshine and fewer showers - especially on the south coast which can do pretty well on a north-westerly.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Im afraid im getting a sense of deja vu this evening.

Hoping for the best but expecting a bbc backtrack very soon.

Its the old chicken and egg but something is feeding this southerly tracking jet..

The solar minimum has much to do with this imo 

Posted

Although still not massively significant last night's anomalies were still indicating some improvement in the ext period, mind difficult for there not to be given the weather of late. Signs of the weakening trough in the eastern Atlantic and the Atlantic on the whole becoming slightly positively anomalous albeit still with an upper but slightly weaker, W/NW upper flow  Thus the Azores still taking closer order but still centred to the south west so the usual N/S split indicated and the temps still no great shakes varying around the norm.

Meanwhile back on the farm. Tuesday finally just leaves the north with the remnants of the low pressure that has been afflicting us of late with weak transient ridging over the rest of the country, albeit with weak troughs floating around so still some showers in places.. At the same time the next complex structured low is on it's way east/nor east and by 00z Wednesday the fronts are just off south west Ireland

PPVK89.thumb.gif.432fca347572cf6e12bed08d72efc8ca.gifgfs_ptype_slp_eur3_13.thumb.png.39f25bb60e193cd92d4c373bb44d51ce.png

Both the fronts and the low continue tracking NE over the next couple of days which ensures windy, showery weather for most interspersed with some longer periods of rain more likely in the west and north.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_20.thumb.png.245c8a1f5edeeb9682333ac417e787d8.png

The low continues on it's merry way leaving the the UK more or less in a col but the next upper trough has been creeping east and it's associated surface feature, a shallow low, is north west of Iberia by 00z Saturday. This tracks east and loses it's identity but it;s associated front(s) could well track far enough north to impact the north in a similar scenario to yesterday.

gfs_uv250_natl_25.thumb.png.80d25af1fd2b87e3b23bf370b79492ab.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_27.thumb.png.be2369d9ce3b657392930c25585307d3.png

Thereafter it's all a tad messy. There is some amplification of the Azores HP out west and and the upper trough in the vicinity of the UK disrupts leaving the eastern Atlantic in a very slack pressure gradient with weak ridging over the UK and low pressure to the south over western Europe. So essentially, apart from Weds-Friday, it's an improving picture but there are many ifs and buts about this and many changes are quite like still vis next weekend and later. And of course it's also just one gfs run.

gfs_z500a_natl_35.thumb.png.b62a49d3b9941d60996e11be3e0b66ba.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_35.thumb.png.7d29156cbbbaa69c80398389a76291e3.png

• Like 4

Posted

ECM looks poor again this morning-

ECMOPEU00_96_1.png

ECMOPEU00_144_1.png

ECMOPEU00_192_1.png

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

So the 1st week of August beginning to look like a write off now, gfs slightly better but still falls into the poor category with winds from a west/north westly throughout FI..

image.png.f9fa1395065daf294ee56eae88074409.png

Posted

The ecm not dissimilar to the gfs up to Sunday although it does not disrupt the upper trough. But by Sunday it still has a strong jet running up the eastern seaboard and around the Azores ridging north in the western Atlantic and thus by 00z Monday the next trough is beginning ti impact N.I. and north west Scotland. Ergo on  Monday and Tuesday the UK again under the influence of low pressure but perhaps signs that the Azores is paying closer attention. The weekend looking better that previous runs but with the threat, a la gfs, of rain impacting the south on Saturday.

ecm_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.c67cc64ef255400f732258ee4e9ccfb5.pngecm_t850a_5d_natl_11.thumb.png.5e22383c2d9c737161109e3745e1a564.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

these charts are about as far away as they can get for a heat favouring evolution. its looking pretty much below average and a long long way from any sustained warm summery spell.

610day.03.gif

814day.03.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Still looks dire to me, anything decent isn't getting closer, and it's gradually showing more low pressure dominance.....looking like summer 2017 is going to be the summer that started so well and promised so, so much.....but finished with your typical 2010s terrible August!

• Like 1