Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/06/2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 minutes ago, Singularity said:

ECM has the quick recovery too so that's something. 

Worth noting that plume timing on that run looks right for a 30+ day Wednesday and with the heat reaching well north so at least taster for most. 

Still... it seems very harsh to have to make do with that for midweek.

ECM doesn't turn out so bad in all honesty

ECH1-216.GIF?13-12

Don't get why we need to see searing uppers from the S when people can enjoy the strong sun and fine weather that set up would bring (more especially further S).

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

ECM doesn't turn out so bad in all honesty

ECH1-216.GIF?13-12

Don't get why we need to see searing uppers from the S when people can enjoy the strong sun and fine weather in the S that chart would bring.

Trouble is it seems to be playing catch up to gfs,i have 2 weeks off from next friday 21st , i got loads of outdoor activities planned, cant begin to tell ypu how utterly hacked off im gona be if we are stuck under a ruddy trough..

Edit by day 10 it looks good, but it was wrong last night at day 7 so...

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Actually the best Ecm chart is day 10;)

240_mslp500.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Bottom line is, background signals continue to strongly support ridging of Azores in from SW so that remains most likely as the overall trend with time. 

This midweek madness is just plain bad luck if it unfolds as the 00z op run consensus depicts. A smaller scale development interrupting the settling down tendency (Mon & Tue look largely settled).

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Bottom line is, background signals continue to strongly support ridging of Azores in from SW so that remains most likely as the overall trend with time. 

This midweek madness is just plain bad luck if it unfolds as the 00z op run consensus depicts. A smaller scale development interrupting the settling down tendency (Mon & Tue look largely settled).

Hope you are right! Gfs00z shows no such scenario with the awful green circle trapped in our locale while Europe bakes under a hot southerly...

Posted

A quick look at the nh pattern on the ecm at T144 illustrates very well the amplification and the important role the Canadian vortex lobe is playing in all of this. Why this sudden spurt of amplification (if indeed it does happen of course) I've no idea,

ecm_z500_anom_nh_7.thumb.png.64d5898d9ff41803ea5d366a8a1ce897.png

The chances are that by the end of the run we are looking at a return to a more familiar pattern although the strength of the the trough in the NW Atlantic is still a concern with the upper flow still likely to bring unsettled weather to the north. In the mean time back to a slack area of low pressure to south. This is the point where there the Azores should now ridge NE and we are back to a warm and settled end of July.

ecm_z500_anom_nh_11.thumb.png.6e543e0f39f4e136d59adbb9d29a784a.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The ECM op fits fairly well with the GEFs version of events with a trough edging in after the middle of next week before pressure rises from the south/south west into the following weekend.

GEFs

gens-21-1-168.png   gens-21-1-240.png

ECM op

ECM1-168.GIF?13-12   ECM1-240.GIF?13-12

With a deep trough over Canada which will move east during week 2, I can easily see another push north east from the Azores high, ironically for the east and north east this could potentially turn into an upgrade in prospects as we remove the option of the Azores high and Euro high joining up with low pressure to our south allowing a flow between the east and north and the usual north sea gunk that comes with it.

Wednesday does look hot as others have said with 30C very possible. Beyond that, treat the output with caution as the models try to place different suggestions in terms of how that deep Canadian trough contributes to proceedings downstream over Europe. Strangely in my view this mornings ECM offers the potential for something much hotter than the output yesterday and whilst the GFS is more unsettled it does suggestwith a few tweaks that it could do something similar.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Seems to a be a very common theme for this summer, in that small disturbances keep rumbling up from the south and causing chaos!

hopefully we still get a nice settled spell and this doesn't just end up a damp squib. GFS is a bit of an outlier in the ensembles, so let's hope it improves later on.

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks John.

Well as a southerner I should be quite happy with the charts - 6/7 days ahead of sunny spells and building heat, a welcome cooling off day next Thursday or Friday (and to give the grass a top-up) followed by probably yet more sun. But I'm frustrated at how difficult it is to get settled weather up to the north!! Yesterday, I'd have thought there was a 7 or 8 in 10 chance that the north was finally going to get a week of settled/warm weather (even allowing for a day blip). Today, I have to lower that to 5 or 6 in 10. 

Just consider how unlucky this chart is!! No greens at all from Greenland to pretty much everywhere - except for poor Ireland and Scotland.

gfs-0-192.png

Actually, the ECM was on to this at the weekend, and then dropped it, but with a key difference that makes this morning's charts worse...

ECM1-216.GIF?00  ECM1-240.GIF?00

which is that this morning's charts cut the low off. Whilst on the ECM archive charts above, the low is not undercut and is free to move off to the north, on today's GFS 00Z chart there would be a great risk of the low getting stuck, surrounded by good heights all around - until the Atlantic regroups, fuses with the UK low, and resets the normal pattern of greens covering the whole of the northern Atlantic and going back to a NW/SE split.

This morning's charts really are worst case scenario. I think further runs today can only get better. There's still a very reasonable chance that this low will not do what the ECM/GFS ops suggest. Below are two ensemble members that I think also have a good chance of verifying. The first shows the incoming low failing to "cut-off". The result is one slightly less settled day next week before the low easily clears off and the Azores High ridges in nicely after:

gens-1-1-162.png

The second is that the low holds even further west - something we often see - keeping most of next week dry, sunny and warm except in Ireland and perhaps extreme western coasts - and maybe a couple of thunderstorms for all:

gens-3-1-168.png

Or thirdly, a quick move back towards yesterday's charts. 

But positivity definitely more restrained just now.

• Like 4

Posted

Matt's made an extended synoptic guidance blog which is worth a read:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=8286;sess=

• Increasing interest in the medium and long term with potential convective weather by middle of next week
  • After that, a more anticyclonic period of weather, within the long-term, has been signalled
  • Temperatures set to rise through next week, possibly becoming hot and humid
  • Disrupting upper trough to the SW by the 18th, aids in drawing a thundery low north from Iberia
  • Developments after that crucial to the late July weather, but an anticyclonic outlook is certainly possible

• Like 9

Posted

The EPS this morning shows the transient troughing next week that has already been discussed but quickly recovers towards the end of the period The Azores again ridges to the west and with positive anomalies north of the UK much of the upper flow is diverted NNE leaving a slack westerly over the UK with the trough to the south west remaining influential and perhaps receiving sneeky top ups from breakaway upper troughs . So the percentage play for the surface analysis could well see the Azores ridging to the north with all to play for to the south with shallow unstable lows drifting north. Temps warm or even very warm in the south. This remains the scenario into the ext period although towards the end the flow becomes more zonal as the Azores retrogresses west.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.c36c324e5fcfd45fd9113f3eb09a971f.pngecm_eps_z500a_nh_11.thumb.png.2fcb6406340fba226d92223c80646563.pngecm_eps_t850a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.2c19216a304929262753d1597cd3f7c4.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

I was a bit concerned what the met office update would be like following the 00z output, especially the dismal Gfs 00z but there doesn't seem to be any downgrade at all. Next week is set to warm up with plenty of sunshine as high pressure builds in early next week followed by very warm / humid conditions across the south with a risk of thunderstorms. The far northwest could have another brief atlantic incursion but then settling down and staying warm / very warm nationwide and still a chance of thundery weather from time to time, especially further south. :- )

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

30C back on the charts again for the SE as early as this Sunday:

arpegeuk-31-90-0.png?13-06

yes please, off to Silverstone on sunday so a warm day would be fab.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
13 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I was a bit concerned what the met office update would be like following the 00z output, especially the dismal Gfs 00z but there doesn't seem to be any downgrade at all. Next week is set to warm up with plenty of sunshine as high pressure builds in early next week followed by very warm / humid conditions across the south with a risk of thunderstorms. The far northwest could have another brief atlantic incursion but then settling down and staying warm / very warm nationwide and still a chance of thundery weather from time to time, especially further south. :- )

Sounds like they are promoting ECM's run with a brief changeable period at the end of next week and through next weekend before the azores high ridges in again and sets itself up over us by the end of that week by the looks of the last ECM run. Hopefully the GFS will improve tonight but through the last two runs they seem set on promoting low pressure throughout the whole of the week after next so we'll see what it comes up with over the next few runs. The GFS is only one model though i guess as some of the other members have said but hopefully we get something akin to the ECM and Met Office's predictions for the next two weeks. 

Edited by Summerstorm
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summerstorm said:

Sounds like they are promoting ECM's run with a brief changeable period at the end of next week and through next weekend before the azores high ridges in again and sets itself up over us by the end of that week by the looks of the last ECM run. Hopefully the GFS will improve tonight but through the last two runs they seem set on promoting low pressure throughout the whole of the week after next so we'll see what it comes up with over the next few runs. The GFS is only one model though i guess as some of the other members have said but hopefully we get something akin to the ECM and Met Office's predictions for the next two weeks. 

Agreed, much prefer the Ecm 00z to either the Gfs 00z / 6z which show too much green snot for my liking..I would settle for this setting up a prolonged settled and warm / very warm spell.:D

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

• Like 4

Posted

The Ecm 00z ensemble mean / operational both finish on a high note with the azores anticyclone looking strong going forward..hopefully as the saying goes, all's well that ends well!:)

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

ECMAVGEU00_240_1.png

• Like 4

Posted
42 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I think that I would be surprised if they adjusted their forecast based on one particular run.  They normally aren't as influenced as that.  They tend to take a line and stick to it, presumably based largely on stuff that we don't get to see. 

• Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, Weather Boy said:

I think that I would be surprised if they adjusted their forecast based on one particular run.  They normally aren't as influenced as that.  They tend to take a line and stick to it, presumably based largely on stuff that we don't get to see. 

It wasn't just one particular run though, there were issues yesterday too..anyway, still looking generally very good which is what matters most.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Frosty. said:

It wasn't just one particular run though, there were issues yesterday too..anyway, still looking generally very good which is what matters most.

Yes, also not just one model.  Sorry, my post was quite lazy.  I meant that they aren't overly influenced by short term (presumably??) changes in modelling and are evidently not purely reliant on the public models.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
36 minutes ago, Weather Boy said:

I think you're right about that, WB...Whereas Karl's telling us what the models say, run-by-run, the MetO is telling us what (based on all the information that's at their fingertips) they think will happen...

Reportage and interpretation are not the same thing...:D

• Like 4