Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/06/2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the Gfs 6z operational, becoming warmer across England and Wales and more humid for a time with max temps into the low to possibly mid 20's c but becoming very warm in the south / south-east with temperatures into the mid / upper 20's celsius and thursday looks the peak potential for some big thunderstorms. Beyond Friday it becomes cooler and fresher from the west but drier and brighter, especially sunday. Next week shows a changeable trough / ridge trough Atlantic pattern with temps struggling to reach average in the south and cooler than that further n / nw.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A couple of posts have been removed for being off topic.

Model output discussion only please ta.:-) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Wouldn't worry too much about later next week yet - far from certain! Back to joe average, and I guess we will see where it goes from there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

hgt300.png hgt300.png

Familiar ground here as the jet stream strength and 'flatness' is reduced nearer the time.

So it is that the models are toying with yet another shallow low dropping down west of the UK by Monday. Question is whether we again see a breakaway ridge from the Azores manifest, or have to put up with the low drifting slowly but surely across our lands Tue-Wed.

Either way, with the sting taken out of the Atlantic westerlies, there's an increased likelihood that the Azores High will manage to build far enough N that the next push from the west drives an extension of high pressure over to the UK with the jet stream tracking to the north of us. Hopefully this shift will be the start of a trend but I'd not be surprised to see the models remain unsteady in their corrections, just to test some nerves :p.

It's such a shame the way the GLAAM bias causes the majority of GFS runs to try and turn things cool and unsettled by the 12-16 day period, but at least it's keeping people's expectations from becoming unreasonably high :laugh:.

• Like 1

Posted

The outlook puts the UK on that line between the settled and the unsettled. So typical of many of our July's of course. Next week looks less settled on ECM but how many times have we seen those slight corrections north? I don't think it'll end up too bad in the south, more changeable for sure in the North where let's be honest, summer looks far away.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

The outlook puts the UK on that line between the settled and the unsettled. So typical of many of our July's of course. Next week looks less settled on ECM but how many times have we seen those slight corrections north? I don't think it'll end up too bad in the south, more changeable for sure in the North where let's be honest, summer looks far away.

Wimbledon should hope not; ecm 12z (as per weatherbell) showing max temps on Friday 4 July (midday) to be in and around 15C for the London area

Edited by draztik
  • Like 2

Posted

Yeah, ECM looks ropey tonight. Most models are favouring low rather than high pressure to be more dominant. Time for corrections of course, but not the best set of output this evening.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

not the best set of output this evening.

Not the worst either, the Gfs 12z looks pretty good for the second half of next week with the azores high ridging in. My view is next week at worst will be changeable with the usual n / s split and at best..something like the Gfs 12z shows..charts I posted further up the page.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
30 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Not the worst either, the Gfs 12z looks pretty good for the second half of next week with the azores high ridging in. My view is next week at worst will be changeable with the usual n / s split and at best..something like the Gfs 12z shows..charts I posted further up the page.:)

Straw clutching?

Both ECM and GFS were poor with a suggested unsettled and cooler period being most likely next week.  ECM ends with vile 850s and a very autuminal 997mb low in the SE 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, 40*C said:

Straw clutching?

Both ECM and GFS were poor with a suggested unsettled and cooler period being most likely next week.  ECM ends with vile 850s and a very autuminal 997mb low in the SE 

I'd give the ECM Op another few runs yet when looking at the ens

graphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.2d844945c4003e42a3cb7cdb463ad75b.png

Posted

We'll see... I find it hard to take the longer-term ECM seriously until if and when the MJO actually does make a jump into phase 2/3 as the model has been predicting for 1-2 days ahead without success for over a week now.

• Like 1

Posted

To me its a bit silly worrying about a day 10 ecm chart when we are seeing an increasingly warm spell this week..temps into the 80's F further south for the next 3 days or so..even saturday could still be very warm in the SE.

• Like 2

Posted

Like i said in the Past ' All computer models you are dwelling on' even last week it was looking grim and droom ' the last 2 days here have been great ' even Hotter here 2day and even Thursday ' stick to Met Office .. Not ECM -GFS - ANNADIN IS GOOD FOR YAH :drinks:

• Like 4

Posted

Think we can safely say once Saturday is through, we won't be seeing any heat for a little while again. Pattern looking pretty flat. It's frustrating to see the Azores High parked so far out west, it's just not close enough to be a big influence on our weather. Looking likely we are going to have to plod through a load more nothingness before perhaps something warmer and more settled turns up after mid month.

Posted

Thanks for the update Tamara :)

I retain the suspicion that the atmospheric state is not far enough from neutral to lock in a retracted Azores ridge for much time so will continue to watch for weak ridges producing a warm/very warm day or two, but must concede that I did not adjust my AAM corrections down fast enough after the recent underestimated ascending period. So next week does look likely to be changeable with temps mostly varying around average or a little below - but still the chance of an appreciably warmer day or two at least in the south.

I do however still view the GEFS week 2 drop of AAM as unrealistically large, as barely a day has been seen in the past year in which it wasn't overdone. So too much drive toward establishing or maintaining a cool and unsettled regime. Good thing is, most on here don't take GFS very seriously at that range anyway :)

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

This chart from UKMO at 144t puts the upper trough in one of the worst possible positions and can be difficult to dislodge. Seen this set up in some of the worst summer seasons. The extended charts show a possible 10 day unsettled spell. Thereafter, hopefully for a better second half for July but we will have to see a major pattern change.

C

UKMOPEU00_144_1.png

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, carinthian said:

This chart from UKMO at 144t puts the upper trough in one of the worst possible positions and can be difficult to dislodge. Seen this set up in some of the worst summer seasons. The extended charts show a possible 10 day unsettled spell. Thereafter, hopefully for a better second half for July but we will have to see a major pattern change.

C

UKMOPEU00_144_1.png

Yep, everything angled completely the wrong way. Strong jet piling out of Canada straight over the Atlantic, could be a bugger to shift. Not desperately unsettled, just not great for mid-summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Yep, everything angled completely the wrong way. Strong jet piling out of Canada straight over the Atlantic, could be a bugger to shift. Not desperately unsettled, just not great for mid-summer.

Not an ideal place for the upper trough to be anchored from Southern Scandinavia to Norwegian Sea. Will result in cool rainy conditions for almost any location in NW Europe.

C

Posted

Beginning to worry this is going to be another of those ' nice down south and ruddy awful up north' summers..

Overcast and drizzle here, probs sunny and clear in the SE...

00z runs look poor after friday, bloody azores high waaaaaaaaay out in the west Atlantic leaving us at the mercy of lows to the NW.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Beginning to worry this is going to be another of those ' nice down south and ruddy awful up north' summers..

Overcast and drizzle here, probs sunny and clear in the SE...

00z runs look poor after friday, bloody azores high waaaaaaaaay out in the west Atlantic leaving us at the mercy of lows to the NW.

Isn't like that most summers? Yup blue skies and humid here. Looking at outputs relief isn't too far off from the weekend into next week for the south. Unfortunately nothing great for north  

Posted

Things are hotting up further south today, London could reach 30c this afternoon..becoming very warm and humid across the rest of England and Wales tomorrow but with an increasing risk of severe thunderstorms with large hail and torrential rain..it's another taste of high summer which last week didn't seem possible!..:)

DD80LuWXYAIzRlJ.jpg

DD6o3mVV0AA5I-i.jpg

DD5_oC3XYAARovt.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

06z GFS being an excellent case in point. Little disturbances in the flow dropping to our west driving warmer air poleward. 

With the +AO signal, a flat Azores ridge is not straightforward and subject to the type of variation we are seeing at T0, T96 and possible again at day 10.

• Like 4