Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/06/2017

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I don't think anyone is expecting a return to what we had a week ago..but something drier, brighter and warmer would be welcome!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

hgt300.png hgt300.png

When the 12z is rolling out we need to watch for whether the jet digs down as sharply as the 06z on the right shows (quite the change from the 00z it has to be said!); this is the sort of behaviour that gives ridges the upper hand in the face of troughs trying to push through, as the latter will tend to disrupt against the ridge.

The mechanism for this is too fine for ensembles to pick up very well until shorter notice than the operational runs, so if it was to firm up then the ensembles would show a significant shift in response, probably in the space of just a few runs.

I'd not be taking all that much notice of it (this is the 06z after all) if it wasn't for the fact that the ECM 00z also depicted such a change in trough characteristics. Something does seem to be afoot.

Edited by Singularity
Clarification
  • Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, Singularity said:

hgt300.png hgt300.png

When the 12z is rolling out we need to watch for whether the jet digs down as sharply as the 06z on the right shows (quite the change from the 00z it has to be said!); this is the sort of behaviour that gives ridges the upper hand in the face of troughs trying to push through, as the latter will tend to disrupt against the ridge.

The mechanism for this is too fine for ensembles to pick up very well until shorter notice than the operational runs, so if it was to firm up then the ensembles would show a significant shift in response, probably in the space of just a few runs.

I'd not be taking all that much notice of it (this is the 06z after all) if it wasn't for the fact that the ECM 00z also depicted such a change in trough characteristics. Something does seem to be afoot.

I'm sorry but I'm not following that. The ecm chart for that time and date is quite a bit different. I cannot post the chart but the trough has already disrupted with a cut off upper low and the ridging over the UK is not as pronounced. The jet does swing around the low but then back over the UK where it reconnects to the northern arm.

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This is much more like it more runs like this, please

UKMOPEU12_120_1.thumb.png.52df4c64e01f730e8cb1fd7a556b5c0e.pngUKMOPEU12_144_1.thumb.png.ebdf543b1d9279c5054b48790462a05b.png

:)

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 5

Posted

@knocker my point is that the ECM 00z  had the trough disruption, something GFS did not entertain until the 06z.

. . .

Anyway, the 12z (right) has followed suit from the 06z (left), in fact it's impressively consistent;

hgt300.png hgt300.png

Looking at Tuesday, I think this run will walk closer to the edge of settled condition midweek, as the jet does not bifurcate as effectively as it did on the 06z (right-most chart).

h850t850eu.png hgt300.png       hgt300.png

• Like 1

Posted

Early signs are good that the Gfs 6z wasn't a fluke, the 12z also warms up and becomes more settled early next week as pressure rises..feeling like summer again next week!:)

12_147_mslp500.png

12_171_mslp500.png

12_171_uk2mtmp.png

12_195_uk2mtmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

This is much more like it more runs like this, please

UKMOPEU12_120_1.thumb.png.52df4c64e01f730e8cb1fd7a556b5c0e.pngUKMOPEU12_144_1.thumb.png.ebdf543b1d9279c5054b48790462a05b.png

Impressive strength to the ridge from the Azores there.

This shift in the model output in the manner that I've been looking out for during the past week serves as demonstration of the effectiveness of studying GLAAM tendencies and trends and using those to draw conclusions as to what the models are most likely to be making some mistakes with.

gfsgwo_1.png

See how the observed GLAAM continues to fight its way slowly but surely closer to the neutral zone, with the mean projection for the next fortnight having to edge upward in accordance.

I know it's far from a done deal at this stage, but it's the fact that the models have shifted in the first place that I'm working with; it shows the theory is sound, even if something happens to crop up at shorter notice and make a mess of things :).

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Singularity said:

@knocker my point is that the ECM 00z  had the trough disruption, something GFS did not entertain until the 06z.

. . .

Anyway, the 12z (right) has followed suit from the 06z (left), in fact it's impressively consistent;

Looking at Tuesday, I think this run will walk closer to the edge of settled condition midweek, as the jet does not bifurcate as effectively as it did on the 06z (right-most chart).

h850t850eu.png hgt300.png       hgt300.png

Or even unsettled whilst at the same time kicking the earlier promoted Scandinavian ridge into touch :shok:

gfs_z500a_natl_33.thumb.png.5dc2feea9fb247f689f4efbf820c4c56.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_35.thumb.png.0878965e8ab67d60fa75d5dc12ec9f74.pnggfs_z500a_natl_38.thumb.png.031414be889813cfe1933c6c9f8f4f9c.png

Fits reasonably well with the 06 anomaly

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_39.thumb.png.55af872b981d142eec18f583d3f443c9.png

Edited by knocker

Posted

Never thought I would be so excited to see the 22c the Gfs 12z is indicating next week but after the dismal wet 14c tomorrow..the only way is up!:D

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
7 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Never thought I would be so excited to see the 22c the Gfs 12z is indicating next week but after the dismal wet 14c tomorrow..the only way is up!:D

If it was this time last week I would of been thinking the same thing....in the 30s to 22c

UW144-21_jzv3.GIF Next week the 12z UKMO is certainly looking better.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

If it was this time last week I would of been thinking the same thing....in the 30s to 22c

Ay, spectators will need their sun cream, 25° and sunny

• Like 1

Posted

As Knocker has highlighted, it's not quite enough for western parts on the 12z GFS as a decaying frontal boundary is able to act as a focus for some showers or longer spells of rain (the latter mostly for Scotland).

ukprec.png ukprec.png

Still enough sunny spells in between for some fairly warm afternoons though (note that I don't mean in the sense of departure from average);

ukmaxtemp.png ukmaxtemp.png

- but as expected, not as fine as the 06z was for midweek. It does try to make up for it with some improved output beyond that time, though.

UKMO looks more promising for keeping those frontal boundaries away from the UK entirely although you can never assume all that much when it comes to the weather in this part of the world. 

• Like 2

Posted

There's certainly some positive runs today, the Gfs 6z and ukmo 12z spring to mind with an increasingly settled and warmer spell next week..over to the Ecm 12z, hopefully the Euros will stick together!:)

UKMOPEU12_120_1.png

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
8 minutes ago, Singularity said:

As Knocker has highlighted, it's not quite enough for western parts on the 12z GFS as a decaying frontal boundary is able to act as a focus for some showers or longer spells of rain (the latter mostly for Scotland).

ukprec.png ukprec.png

Still enough sunny spells in between for some fairly warm afternoons though (note that I don't mean in the sense of departure from average);

ukmaxtemp.png ukmaxtemp.png

- but as expected, not as fine as the 06z was for midweek. It does try to make up for it with some improved output beyond that time, though.

UKMO looks more promising for keeping those frontal boundaries away from the UK entirely although you can never assume all that much when it comes to the weather in this part of the world. 

I think conditions and temps shown on those charts would suit everyone. Even me; dry and sunny but COMFORTABLE. Provided the GFS isn't undercooking and therefore I'd need to see 19c or so to create around 22c. No more heat, please. It can be dry, sunny and comfortable all it wants, just no heat!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Much better from the UKMO run...looks almost like how the previous hot spell came about, with a cut off low allowing for the Azores high to build in. Not saying it's going to get hot again, but if it could dry out and the sun could come back that'd be great after today!

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

The organizers at Wimbledon will be praying the ukmo 12z is on the money, don't want next week to be another damp squib..or week 2!:D

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
43 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

I think conditions and temps shown on those charts would suit everyone. Even me; dry and sunny but COMFORTABLE. Provided the GFS isn't undercooking and therefore I'd need to see 19c or so to create around 22c. No more heat, please. It can be dry, sunny and comfortable all it wants, just no heat!

Sorry, not trying to be smart here but are these charts showing dry, sunny and comfortable .....conditions that would suit everyone?

Posted

So far so good..regarding next week on the Ecm 12z with pressure rising across the uk, settling our weather down early next week..even better by next midweek..nice:D

144_mslp500.png

168_mslp500.png

192_mslp500.png

192_mslp850uk.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells
1 hour ago, Singularity said:

Impressive strength to the ridge from the Azores there.

This shift in the model output in the manner that I've been looking out for during the past week serves as demonstration of the effectiveness of studying GLAAM tendencies and trends and using those to draw conclusions as to what the models are most likely to be making some mistakes with.

gfsgwo_1.png

See how the observed GLAAM continues to fight its way slowly but surely closer to the neutral zone, with the mean projection for the next fortnight having to edge upward in accordance.

I know it's far from a done deal at this stage, but it's the fact that the models have shifted in the first place that I'm working with; it shows the theory is sound, even if something happens to crop up at shorter notice and make a mess of things :).

I think that verificatiin stats would certainly prove the case - are there any out there? Samos.

Posted

Happy day's high pressure coming back next week

ECMOPEU12_144_1.thumb.png.3bf3843e5b8eceb881bf00d0020640c2.pngECMOPEU12_168_1.thumb.png.e0d37c5849f3a3f3e723ec503f1116a7.pngECMOPEU12_192_1.thumb.png.d9f6acfa5e8d83ef054366083828486e.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 6

Posted

Cracking stuff this from ECM

ECMOPEU12_216_2.thumb.png.5daca6bfd6a90099f031ea342da27726.pngECMOPEU12_240_2.thumb.png.5670d4d59f2559ac6bc8967f668b4a13.png

Much better than the dross this week

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 8

Posted

What a perfect finish..Ecm 12z I love you! :DWelcome back 564 dam:clap:

240_mslp500.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_thickuk.png

240_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Cracking stuff this from ECM

ECMOPEU12_216_2.thumb.png.5daca6bfd6a90099f031ea342da27726.png

Much better than the dross this week

In complete contrast to yesterday evening's output from the same model - showing the models are in disarray, Ensembles best guidance - and even those are proving to be somewhat erratic (beyond the usual); nothing guaranteed - yet we are headed back to heatwave conditions...if you listen to some of you.

• Like 2