Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/06/2017

Posted
13 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

possible, the longwave pattern of ridging and troughing would suggest the next ridging will be in early july. until then we will be dominated/driven by a mean upper trough to our north, as knockers post above highlights.

edit....ive just seen glacier points post in serious thread... i did write this before id read his post, and i had mentioned this previously. i just didnt want to be thought of as copying him..

The EC46 means update this morning is low pressure dominated, particularly over the Arctic until certainly the 10th July. Thus we are looking at the Atlantic trough remaining the most influential with temps below average, perhaps significantly, so at the beginning of July.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

That should please all the moaners who don't like this very summery spell..sad

Yes sounds totally un -inspiring and a waste of high Summer. Plenty of time for wet and windy weather in Autumn/Winter & Spring :nonono:

Even though I'm sneezing constantly with Hay fever & and getting very little sleep due to the heat, I would still take this weather over what the EC46 is saying any day of the week. Small price to pay for this glorious Summer weather.

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 8

Posted

The ecm is not dissimilar to the gfs. It has trial run taking a front across the country on Monday before the main depression arrives west of Ireland mid week

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_7.thumb.png.2920dbdc118e6c862c5d0c1df6ce5970.pngecm_mslp_uv850_natl_9.thumb.png.2db91d04d478406ec0722e9fe9544815.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

In the meantime, high summer goes on..bliss:D

DCvojHVXcAAu-t_.jpg

24_mslp500.png

24_mslp850uk.png

48_mslp850.png

48_mslp850uk.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Tomorrow is still going to be recording breaking according to arpege with 37c/98f on the way easily beating the 1976 record

arpegeuk-31-42-0.thumb.png.f7ba80bd387acd3893d2f65a6bda1b78.png5948d31560c56_DCvqSWgXsAA6nBm.jpglarge.thumb.jpeg.765c1dd1d8d3eca7c6355976f154d62e.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
53 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Yes sounds totally un -inspiring and a waste of high Summer. Plenty of time for wet and windy weather in Autumn/Winter & Spring :nonono:

Even though I'm sneezing constantly with Hay fever & and getting very little sleep due to the heat, I would still take this weather over what the EC46 is saying any day of the week. Small price to pay for this glorious Summer weather.

Sometimes people are inclined to bring their own interpretation to a general comment on the EC46 means. I posted a general interpretation of the long wave pattern which within the stated time frame was mainly influenced by the Atlantic trough. This is forecast to ease as as we move further into July and the Azores HP becomes more prominent. No attempt was made vis detail but given this I consider wet and windy for any length of time unlikely. But that is just my opinion of course.

Also given this I think it probably wise not to comment on the EC46 output in future.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
26 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Tomorrow is still going to be recording breaking according to arpege with 37c/98f on the way easily beating the 1976 record

arpegeuk-31-42-0.thumb.png.f7ba80bd387acd3893d2f65a6bda1b78.png5948d31560c56_DCvqSWgXsAA6nBm.jpglarge.thumb.jpeg.765c1dd1d8d3eca7c6355976f154d62e.jpeg

Kinda reminds me of the last 2 summers, midweek plume, then fresher for all areas on a Thursday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

ARPEGE must really like the Bristol area! :D It's been hammering home mid thirties there for the last couple of days. I will tip my hat if it is anything close to 36/37c...that's in the realms of all time UK records! Would certainly be in the top 10 yearly hottest recorded days (with thanks to Trevor Harley):

2003 38.5 Brogdale, near Faversham (Kent)
1990 37.1 Cheltenham 3 Aug
2015 36.7 Heathrow 1 July
1911 36.7 Raunds, Canterbury 9 August
2006 36.5 Wisley (Surrey) 19 July
1932 36.1 London (several sites, inc. Camden), Tottenham, Halstead 19 August
1976 35.9 Cheltenham 3 July

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

ARPEGE must really like the Bristol area! :D It's been hammering home mid thirties there for the last couple of days. I will tip my hat if it is anything close to 36/37c...that's in the realms of all time UK records! Would certainly be in the top 10 yearly hottest recorded days (with thanks to Trevor Harley):

2003 38.5 Brogdale, near Faversham (Kent)
1990 37.1 Cheltenham 3 Aug
2015 36.7 Heathrow 1 July
1911 36.7 Raunds, Canterbury 9 August
2006 36.5 Wisley (Surrey) 19 July
1932 36.1 London (several sites, inc. Camden), Tottenham, Halstead 19 August
1976 35.9 Cheltenham 3 July

and also one of the few outside the SE if it occurs

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Going to be interesting following this. It does feel as if the ARGEPE has a bit of a love-in for the Bristol area, but to be fair, yesterday it forecast 33C in that area and it nearly got it right, with 31C/32C officially being reached all through that part of the Severn valley, and 31C even on the N Devon coast which I think ARGEPE was the only one that got close with. So even if it falls 2C short tomorrow, that's still an incredible 35C.

Some other forecasts for comparison

EURO4: this was 3C too low on the same chart yesterday, so suggests 34C/35C could be reached

17062118_2000.gif

AROME: 34C in the SE but not as hot in the SW

arome-31-42-0.png?20-07

GFS: This model was 5C too low yesterday (apart from in Dorset/Somerset/Wiltshire where it was 2C too low). Again, applying the same correction, it is suggestive of 34/35C, since the darker colour is 30C

39-582UK.GIF?20-0

So general consensus is 34C-35C for Wednesday. Not far off that June record at all.

Thursday not a done deal according to the ARGEPE either. 36C in Great Yarmouth??

arpegeuk-31-66-0.png?20-06

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, knocker said:

The EPS 6-10 pattern

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.c2318359d54a6af2d9f9170353dbe04a.pngecm_eps_t850a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.b0ad1f5c34906453fcee881d369654aa.png

Thanks knocker. Doesn't look too great - quite unusual to have a massive trough dominating the eastern USA and all of the N Atlantic. We're also going from quite a weak jet profile to something much stronger, and more E-W orientated:

Rtavn0015.gifRtavn19215.gif

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?cone#contents

Tropical
developments In the GOM may stir things up slightly....though it isn't going to make hurricane strength, it will still inject heat and moisture into the south of the USA, and effect things downstream a week after.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
14 hours ago, Singularity said:

I found myself going all jittery looking at what ARPEGE gets up to... interesting how the hottest spot starts a little way down the coast from Bristol and then migrates north, like some kin dof freakish 'pressure cooker' zone where local convergence is occurring while somehow avoiding the creation of cloud cover. Not sure I can see the CAP being so strong and the airmass so dry as to permit that... right? :shok:

Even so, given that the slightly faster progression of events now brings the 20*C 850 hPa isotherm up to the far-SW by Wednesday evening and that this is following four days of increasingly high temps for a large part of the southwest region, I'd not be that surprised to see the mid-30s crop up somewhere in said region.

It'll then be one more uncomfortable night before the freshening up occurs at some point on Thursday. Interesting that while GFS performs this early on, ARPEGE takes until mid-morning for CS England and late morning for the SE. The former then manages to get into the mid-20s anyway thanks to the warm start (the boundary does not look all that strong in temps of temp changes at the surface on this model run) while the SE sneaks in the high-20s in the late morning and then, after a dip due to some showery rain, rebounds toward that again by late afternoon. This could be a bit optimistic but it goes to show that Thursday is not looking like a straight forward changeover to fresh Atlantic weather.

Allowing again for over-optimism from the model, the weakness of that boundary may even allow Friday to bring further respectably high temps;

arpegeuk-41-101-0.png?19-19

ECM appears similar enough that this option is at least on the table rather than the chair, but GFS and UKMO both make more of Thursday's boundary and so restrict temps to the mid-20s at best. So it remains unclear just how much we'll be cooling down Thu-Fri.

Briefly on the weekend onward, well there's so little consistency between models that it all seems very much up in the air (thankfully, given GFS' nightmarish ideas for several runs now). It has not escaped my attention though how the abrupt forcing toward a broad trough dropping in from the NW has in the case of ECM been put back to day 10 on three runs in a row now. The change to a run of easterlies in the tropical Pacific are enough for me to see highly changeable conditions as very plausible for next week as a whole, but I've seen ECM overestimate those easterlies before so I'm not yet convinced that a trough will completely take over... though I'd not rule out a brief romp across our lands. Either way, the critical question going forward will be how long do the easterlies last before the pendulum swings back the other way? Typical duration is what, a week?

Edit:

arpegeeur-6-48.png?12 arpegeeur-1-60.png?12

The uppers are one thing but perhaps the belt of extreme theta-e values predicted by ARPEGE is the reason for it showing such incredible temperatures; this belt moves NE during the evening and so do the most extreme temps.

I refer to this interesting post from Singularity sent yesterday. He always puts another view on the main models and offers an alternative prognosis that may be the outcome. That itself is refreshing and innovative.  There appears this morning little consistency between the main models going into next week with UKMO sinking the trough and cutting off the Westerlies with a rise of pressure in Mid Atlantic that builds a ridge to the NW of the British Isles, also born out by the UKMO extended. Maybe a rise in pressure to the NE would now be the favoured longer term outlook ( day 10 )  also indicated by  latest GEM. Anyway its been great weather viewing over the past few days with the heat and will SW England temps reach a record tomorrow ?

• Like 2

Posted

I reckon Heathrow could be the hottest spot this afternoon at 32c and tomorrow too when a wonderful 34c 93f is realistic..superb spell, loving the current model output for the next few days and hopefully we will see several more spells like this before the end of August and including the first half of September potentially!:D

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
2 minutes ago, carinthian said:

I refer to this interesting post from Singularity sent yesterday. He always puts another view on the main models and offers an alternative prognosis that may be the outcome. That itself is refreshing and innovative.  There appears this morning little consistency between the main models going into next week with UKMO sinking the trough and cutting off the Westerlies with a rise of pressure in Mid Atlantic that builds a ridge to the NW of the British Isles, also born out by the UKMO extended. Maybe a rise in pressure to the NE would now be the favoured longer term outlook ( day 10 )  also indicated by  latest GEM. Anyway its been great weather viewing over the past few days with the heat and will SW England temps reach a record tomorrow ?

Here is the extended chart from UKMO t168 showing the Azores high ridging northwards.

ukm2.2017062700.168.lant.troplant.prp.fcst.gentracker.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Frosty. said:

I reckon Heathrow could be the hottest spot this afternoon at 32c and tomorrow too with a wonderful 34c 93f is realistic..superb spell, loving the current model output for the next few days and hopefully we will see several more spells like this before the end of August!:D

Sept had 30° temps last year, Tues and Wed, last plume of the year, 30° heat, and Clinton's had their Xmas tree with snow falling from it in window

archives-2016-9-7-12-0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

Thursday not a done deal according to the ARGEPE either. 36C in Great Yarmouth??

arpegeuk-31-66-0.png?20-06

Thursday's window for temps into the 30s looks more limited

14:00 36c

62_uk2mtmp.thumb.png.8435a1af47a931aec5e136f1e7cb854b.png

16:00 27c

64_uk2mtmp.thumb.png.18b7a8c095e2dc2fa2bfb6ea7db598b6.png

Posted
14 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Yep tomorrow looks like the swansong 

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I.e. not happening! :D 

Posted
12 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I.e. not happening! :D 

Yes it looks like the peak of this current hot spell will be tomorrow with temps into the low 30's celsius across southern areas, as high as 34c in and around London followed by a very thundery breakdown.

sun_retro_weather_symbol_postcard-re32e1f65a56943c89084318bc73561d9_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg

wsymbol_0032_thundery_showers_night.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Yes it looks like the peak of this current hot spell will be tomorrow with temps into the low 30's celsius across southern areas, as high as 34c in and around London followed by a very thundery breakdown.

sun_retro_weather_symbol_postcard-re32e1f65a56943c89084318bc73561d9_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg

wsymbol_0032_thundery_showers_night.png

was quite happy until the last 6 words

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
5 hours ago, knocker said:

The EC46 means update this morning is low pressure dominated, particularly over the Arctic until certainly the 10th July. Thus we are looking at the Atlantic trough remaining the most influential with temps below average, perhaps significantly, so at the beginning of July.

ok, i might be out with the timing, granted, but i would be extremely suprised if we didnt get more heat. i cannot think of a june hot spell (2 in fact) that didnt lead to something hotter/longer further down the line. so IF this is all we get, which is possible, itll be rather unusual.

• Like 2