Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
12 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

July and August need to shape up. I hate to be a misery, but this year really has been terrible for many! I've not seen one visible lightning strike yet this year, and that is saying something in these parts. 

Sounds like my year last year. This year has been pretty good for me so far. Seen 4 very small storms (one or two flashes and rumbles and that's it) one big storm and a funnel cloud so far. I wish you luck for the rest of the year. Don't lose hope. We're still in June (just) still a few months of the season to go yet. :)

Good luck my friend.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Absolutely torrential rain in C London at the moment. Drops look very large, borderline soft hail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 hour ago, Windblade said:

Ok, so things are actually looking a lot more positive today. Looks as though we could get some homegrown storms in the afternoon as well as a chance at some imports this evening if I've read the forecast correctly.

You think there'll be a break in the cloud at some point to provide enough Cape for homegrown storms?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Met Office have recently issued a yellow alert for SE and E Anglia

https://mobile.twitter.com/metoffice/status/879632096846897152

Posted
10 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Home growns already? Funny we have a better chance of seeing storms today and tonight with minimal conditions compared to last week with over 4000kj of potential energy to tap into 

No capping issues today to prevent convection though, though any storms likely to remain elevated above a stable boundary layer today, mid-level destabilisation as warm moist plume over near continent spreading north is  lifted on NW edge over SE UK, which doesn't always show on GFS CAPE charts.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5

Posted

Some sferics already across Cambs to W Suffolk

IMG_0562.thumb.PNG.196fcbf3514982c605ccc4964745e6ed.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
12 minutes ago, Nick F said:

No capping issues today to prevent convection though, though any storms likely to remain elevated above a stable boundary layer today, mid-level destabilisation as warm moist plume over near continent spreading north is  lifted on NW edge over SE UK, which doesn't always show on GFS CAPE charts.

Yes exactly!

I bet that if the CAPP levels weren't so ridiculously thick last week the hot spell would have ended with brilliant widespread thunderstorms when you think of how much CAPE there was.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Question is: how far north and west will it reach?

The fact it's already causing activity near Cambridge is good for our area :-D

Posted

Messy convection going on toward Essex. As usual it's north of where I am at the moment (central London) but the cells firing on the south coast give me hope that it's more widespread than that, if a little disorganised and patchy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Cell comes right over me in Tower Hamlets - nothing. Gets to Enfield and then decides to fire up. :wallbash:Dropping loads of strikes now. So typical!

Posted
6 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Cell comes right over me in Tower Hamlets - nothing. Gets to Enfield and then decides to fire up. :wallbash:Dropping loads of strikes now. So typical!

Its a bit of an unconventional storm day, you'll probably get something soon but I can't say it'll be more than a few rumbles and a lot of rain.

Posted
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Its a bit of an unconventional storm day, you'll probably get something soon but I can't say it'll be more than a few rumbles and a lot of rain.

Yeah, I'm trying not to be too disheartened. There seems to be more potential to come so lets see what happens. I'm still counting on a late evening import tonight. Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Currently in mildenhall, and it's like monsoonal rain!! 

Thunder heard!!! Finally

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and snow

Will Warminster in Wiltshire get a thunderstorm to day ?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Yeah, I'm trying not to be too disheartened. There seems to be more potential to come so lets see what happens. I'm still counting on a late evening import tonight. Fingers crossed.

That would be the best outcome and definately preferable to lunchtime thunder :-)

Posted
1 minute ago, tomdewey said:

Will Warminster in Wiltshire get a thunderstorm to day ?

You might be a little too Far West for any electricals

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms

Nice little cell a few clicks from Harlow - edit, now near me just shook the house :D nice cloud structure aswell, will upload a picture once my excitement has gone down.! Harlow,essex

Posted
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

That would be the best outcome and definately preferable to lunchtime thunder :-)

Yeah, I'd prefer not to be at work so I can enjoy the storm! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Who needs a plume eh :D

Although CAPE values aren't particularly high, because we have a cyclone parked directly over the UK there is nothing to stop the convection this afternoon.

Funnily enough its been sunny and calm here in Southampton (with a lot of high cloud). The storms seem to be forming in a line from East Anglia down to Brighton and into France. I anticipate that I am a bit far West but maybe surprises will come later. The charts at the moment bear some resemblance to the storms that hit us on the eve before the EU referendum last year, could do with a bit more heat in France though.

The bonus is that if I do get a good storm I don't have to sit in the uncomfortable heat for it, but as I mentioned I think further east could be the place to be if anything good pops up... we shall see!

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Down near Brighton just now and thunder can be regularly heard in the channel in last half hour.

Beautiful deep booms :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms

Torrential rain appeared literally in seconds and instant dark clouds, that was strange.

Posted

I'm in the warning area for Skellingthorpe, Lincoln. Apart from heavy rain not sure if much will happen, but BBC weather shows the possibility of thunder